Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

WARNING: Oil plug & torque specifications 16 ft lbs max

Johnny Fuel

I talked to my dealer about the torgue settings and he checked to see if there was a service bulletin on the settings, Yamaha hasn't updated them yet.

Looking at the ones of similar sizes on bikes it usually is around 20-22 ft. lbs.

I was lucky apparently the last oil change because I was forced to reuse the crush washer and torqued it to 32 ft. lbs. I think the next time I will be trying around 20 ft. lbs. Unless Yamaha issues a service bulletin before then.

• 3 weeks later...

this is a good reason why a torque wrench should be kept in your toolbox unless you're torqueing head bolts or camshaft caps or something requiring a more delicate application of force. Learning how to feel for proper "torque" with your regular wrench or ratchet is a valuable skill.  Your 3/8" socket wrench is 6 or 8 inches long and your 3/8" torque wrench is probably more like 16 inches long. with a lever that long you've just lost any sense of feel and it becomes really easy to screw something up. 

I'm use to a 1/4 drive screwdriver with the KTM for oil changes...  1/4 drive is all I use now and hand tight filters. 

Thanks @Johnny Fuel I also had a terrible experience with this on my first oil change, stripped the bolt and cracked the case.  Ended up having to let the bike sit for a week while I waited on a new oil pan.  Contacted Yamaha North America and they told me 16-17 lb/ft would be perfect, no reasoning on why they had printed it as 32 lb/ft though.....

On 9/27/2020 at 4:17 PM, Johnny Fuel said:

I did not know that was a "thing" until now. However, I since checked the torque wrench against another and it seems to be functioning fine. From what I can tell, the problem wasn't the torque wrench.

On the torque wrench "unwound" thing, in aviation mechanic school they told us the US military studied this idea and stored torque wrenches both wound and unwound and found it makes no difference. I still unwind mine when I remember, but I don't think it matters.

Edited by Moto

• Premium Member

I'm torquing the engine oil drain bolt to a specified 43 N·m (4.3 kgf·m, 32 lb·ft) without any problems. It has been done by Yamaha on 1st, 2nd, not 3rd as it was in Morocco and now 4th change.

What is crucial here is that if you're not using new crush washers or soft aluminium or copper washers than you may have a bit of issue. The force specified is designed to crush the washer in the first place.

Of course having a Torque wrench which is calibrated is crucial as well as we are tightening steel bolt into an aluminium sump.

BTW dealer told me they do have a lot of stripped drain bolts, not specifically for T7 but in general.

Just my 2 cents.

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

On all my bikes or auto have never use torque wrench. Usually hand tight till it stops, then with a standard wrench ( spanner) give it a half turn or so. Never had one loosen or break. Nice that Yamaha owned up to their mistake. I have had good luck with them making things right in the past. 

On 10/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, sidslaw said:

Thanks @Johnny Fuel I also had a terrible experience with this on my first oil change, stripped the bolt and cracked the case.  Ended up having to let the bike sit for a week while I waited on a new oil pan.  Contacted Yamaha North America and they told me 16-17 lb/ft would be perfect, no reasoning on why they had printed it as 32 lb/ft though.....

Isn't that something? Makes you wonder how 32 lb/ft ever got printed. Seems negligent.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Fuel said:

Isn't that something? Makes you wonder how 32 lb/ft ever got printed. Seems negligent.

pure speculation, but 32 N.M. ~ 23.6 ft-lb...

again, pure speculation...

• Like 2

Just now, TimmyTheHog said:

pure speculation, but 32 N.M. ~ 23.6 ft-lb...

again, pure speculation...

So you're speculating it was a misprint?

6 minutes ago, Johnny Fuel said:

That is my guess since nearly all other manufactures who uses the same bolt size has ~22~26 ft.lb, I SPECULATE it is a misprint...

but I don't work for Yamaha nor have their internal design info....so ya...

and from reading this here, I think I will stick to ~20 ft-lb...and if it leaks, just do a up a bit more.

Edited by TimmyTheHog

Hi folks, new to T7 forum, but a lifelong wrench.

For cross reference, the VW TDI's (my own) I've done 90 oil changes on, aluminum oil pan, M14 bolt, aluminum cryush washer is 22 ft. lb. spec.

Thanks to the OP for a heads up on this erroneous info., 32 ft. lbs. is crazy. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey Team,
can anyone confirm that the sump bolt is M12x15mm 1.5 Pitch. If not anyone know the correct specs...can't find it in manual.
Thanks....

I've been making my own magnetic drain plugs for years. T7 got it today.

137C9097-CA09-4DF2-BF29-05CE236EE84A.jpeg

F55EEC4F-4DF4-4F65-8980-21C2E6A4120E.jpeg

Edited by concours

I tightened mine by feel. Although I used the existing washer when I started tightening it there was no give in that as I put more pressure on the plug it was not turning I stopped. It just came to an abrupt holt and was not turning anymore. I thought it was a bit strange, I’m careful tightening steel into aluminium as well.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, Johnny Fuel said:

Just wanted to let you folks now I had an interesting and disappointing situation with my new Tenere. Last week I reached my 600 mile break-in so I changed the oil. The drain plug from the dealership was on really tight. After draining the oil I put the plug back in. I followed the instructions in the service manual which called for 32 ft/lbs of torque. However, I managed the strip the threads and partially squash the strainer cover assembly (the OEM name). Of course, I was surprised and horrified. 😬 

I rechecked my torque wrench about 10x and it was set to only 30 ft/lbs. Suspecting the wrench failed I checked it against another and it seemed to be okay. I did not "calibrate" the wrench, but merely checked it against the "feel" of another to determine they about the same. 

I brought the bike to the dealer for repair and explained the story. In the meantime, I checked the torque specs on other motorcycles: KLR650 (17 ft/lbs); Husqvarna 350 (15 ft/lbs); Triumph Tiger (17 ft/lbs). Why does the Tenere call for 32 lbs? Seems like a lot by comparison, even if the bolt is big. I can't send a picture because the bike is in the shop right now. 

Long story short: Yamaha agreed this was too much torque for this plug, and said they will no longer recommend 32 ft/lbs. Yamaha will cover the cost of the part and the repair, but unfortunately, the part is on backorder with no ETA at this time. Bummer since the riding season is quickly coming to a close. I wanted to warn other Tenere riders to be careful with the plug.

Mine too was waaaaayyyyy to F^*@#%^! tight to take off, I had to use a breaker bar to get it off. I installed the new one with a normal amount of pressure (and a new washer as the stock one was as thin as paper). 

It was nice to read this wasn't a problem isolated to me!

25 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Mine too was waaaaayyyyy to F^*@#%^! tight to take off, I had to use a breaker bar to get it off. I installed the new one with a normal amount of pressure (and a new washer as the stock one was as thin as paper). 

I think you will find as you work on the bike that a LOT of the fasteners were torqued down a bit too tight at the factory. Rear axel is another on that comes to mind along with a number of the plastic panel fasteners.   

On 10/19/2020 at 6:51 AM, FAR&FURTHER said:

I'm torquing the engine oil drain bolt to a specified 43 N·m (4.3 kgf·m, 32 lb·ft) without any problems. It has been done by Yamaha on 1st, 2nd, not 3rd as it was in Morocco and now 4th change.

What is crucial here is that if you're not using new crush washers or soft aluminium or copper washers than you may have a bit of issue. The force specified is designed to crush the washer in the first place.

Of course having a Torque wrench which is calibrated is crucial as well as we are tightening steel bolt into an aluminium sump.

BTW dealer told me they do have a lot of stripped drain bolts, not specifically for T7 but in general.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, that's a good point. For my initial oil change I re-used the crush washer since the first oil change happens so quickly. Perhaps I should have bought a new one. Nevertheless, it's a ridiculous amount of torque. If the dealer is telling you they see a lot of stripped bolts that signals a problem with the torque setting. 

On 10/19/2020 at 12:22 PM, Johnny Fuel said:

Yes. In speaking with the dealer, who called Yamaha to discuss, they agreed a lower torque setting is appropriate. They didn't give me a new spec, but I'm going with about half (~16 lb/ft) from here on out. 

I'm not sure if "misprint" is the right word. It seems to me it's more like they are re-thinking it based on user experience. 

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

Same. I didn't actually use a breaker bar but I used my "long" torque wrench. Ridiculous!

• 7 months later...

The same issue came up on the FZ09.org forum with the FZ-09's drain plug spec'd at 31 lb.ft. Most FZ-09/MT-09 owners went with 20 lb.ft and haven't had any issues. Which makes me a little surprised that Yamaha would spec the T7's drain plug at 32 lb.ft. I'll be going with 20 ld.ft and just keep an eye on it. Might even add a spot of silicone to hold it in place as well. I am sure this will be just fine, but will report if there are any issues. 

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7

3 hours ago, Rocky_Mtn_T7 said:

The same issue came up on the FZ09.org forum with the FZ-09's drain plug spec'd at 31 lb.ft. Most FZ-09/MT-09 owners went with 20 lb.ft and haven't had any issues. Which makes me a little surprised that Yamaha would spec the T7's drain plug at 32 lb.ft. I'll be going with 20 ld.ft and just keep an eye on it. Might even add a spot of silicone to hold it in place as well. I am sure this will be just fine, but will report if there are any issues. 

I used 21 lbs ft at my 4000 and 8000 mile oil changes ….. all is good.  I am using 21 lbs foot for my Tracer 900 GT drain plug also.

• 5 months later...

I am another victim of this case, unfortunately this came out with the bolt today.

I am petrified and lost as what to do. Bike goes to yamaha the day after tomorrow but i can already see their excuses based on reusing washers or cheap torque wrench (which i splurged on on purpose).

20220207_165550.jpg

• Sad 2

I only use a standard ratchet and socket to tighten the oil drain plug bolt.  Simply snug it up until you meet resistance and then just a we bit more, that's it, no more.  Works every time.  Wipe the bolt with a cloth so it is free of any oil residue then check it periodically to see if it has any fresh oil hanging around.  Then you'll know if it remained tight, which it will.

• Like 1