Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Ktmmitch

T7 Fork Open Cartridge Kit

FredBasset

Currently I‚Äôm undecided, waiting for more feedback, but will probably wait until next spring! ūüėČ

Cruizin

So much of this depends on your weight, height and riding style. 

I revalve and re spring every bike that I get. I usually have to just to set the right sag settings and also because of my weight which is 240 lbs. 

One guys Suspension settings and needs are totally different from another's.   If you try adjusting your settings and the forks still bottom out on you , then consider upgrading your suspension .  

I'm considering this very cartridge kit for my bike this winter , from Rally Raid. It seems to fit the bill and the price is right.  Rally Raid has a ton of great products, this is just one of em. 

• Like 2

Toei

Ktmmitch:  What is the feasibility of implementing internal lowering of the forks when installing this kit?

Ktmmitch
10 hours ago, Toei said:

Ktmmitch:  What is the feasibility of implementing internal lowering of the forks when installing this kit?

None, it would mean sliding the forks through the triples

Toei
44 minutes ago, Ktmmitch said:

None, it would mean sliding the forks through the triples

Ok, glad I asked!  Tractive offers a -35mm closed cartridge kit, and corresponding -35mm shocks, but I'd prefer open cartridges for the easier servicing.  I'm going to wait to see if any additional options develop over the winter before springing for their closed cartridge kit.  

Matth

I had already written my thoughts on another page but i know it may have been hidden away so will stick it on this one .

So after a long a chilly ride to Rally Raid my new front suspension was waiting for me.

when the old internals were pulled out and the new Open cartridge set was side by side you can see it is significantly differently and understand why the original units is not ideal for my style of riding.

the standard suspension is ideally for generic riding , little bit of this and that but far too easy to reach its limits.

so a bit about me, 50 and ex enduro rider of 30 years.

still off road ride and need a better more compliant ride now.

we all know what the existing springy bits like on the front.

not reactive

can be harsh if ridden fast off road

bottoms out to easily

brake dive and wallows.

ridden really fast on rough gravel and tank slap will appear.

Rally Raid took 2 hours to install the new kit and set my weight up ( 90kgs clothed)

i went for a quick trip after it was set up and the first thing i noticed it dives ALOT less.

I then found a rough gravel track and pushed it, gone is the harsh reaction and where as before i would avoid a pothole ( gravel) just go straight through. Instead of a bang you get a phumf:)) .

the faster you go the smoother it becomes and sort of starts to float .

I have a Rally Raid upgraded spring on the rear and because the front is well sorted you start to notice the rear being lesser grade. I adjusted that more and it became absolutely fine and good enough.

I found a grass verge which was 12 inchies high approx vertical, i just hit it square on. OH Yes what a massive difference, nice and soft up it went. No bottoming and nasty noises, quietly took it in its stride. 

And back down it exactly the same with no question whether you will damage something.

On the road  it was slightly firmer than the yam set up so i wound the pre load off ( left hand fork) and was very much better. The 5mm spacer was installed so if you want a softer highly damped feel you can do it.

kit comes with the tools to do it.

Needs bedding in but after 200 miles was more compliant on the road and more sports bike handling, less wallowing.

Overall I'm so pleased with it and WELL worth doing  as can ride to my full potential without grimacing when i hit some rough ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1