Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First 200 miles

Alan M

Hi everyone, just got my new bike on Wednesday and trying to get some miles on it before first service.

Great forum, been reading the posts over the last few weeks and some good info out there.

I haven’t been off road yet just on the tar and my first impressions is the bike is great. Very easy to position on the road and pick a line through the twisty bits.

I wont bother commenting on things like the screen wobble or comfort of the seat as these don’t bother me and can be easily sorted if need be.

My only niggle is the roll off roll on throttle response, especially in the lower gears. The power does not come in smoothly and feels snatchy. I’m not sure if it’s drivetrain or engine. 

I have only ridden the bike with the stock exhaust for a few motorway miles then changed to a Fuel, UK brand, end can. 

I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this or maybe the fuelling isn’t quite right with the aftermarket exhaust.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Hi everyone, just got my new bike on Wednesday and trying to get some miles on it before first service.

Great forum, been reading the posts over the last few weeks and some good info out there.

I haven’t been off road yet just on the tar and my first impressions is the bike is great. Very easy to position on the road and pick a line through the twisty bits.

I wont bother commenting on things like the screen wobble or comfort of the seat as these don’t bother me and can be easily sorted if need be.

My only niggle is the roll off roll on throttle response, especially in the lower gears. The power does not come in smoothly and feels snatchy. I’m not sure if it’s drivetrain or engine. 

I have only ridden the bike with the stock exhaust for a few motorway miles then changed to a Fuel, UK brand, end can. 

I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this or maybe the fuelling isn’t quite right with the aftermarket exhaust.

Welcome to the forum, try to take the slack from the cable out... It improves the response greatly 👍

Aleks 

• Like 1

Thanks, there doesn’t feel like there’s much free play but i’ll have a proper look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the suggestion 👍

Congrats! Nice thing about being in the middle of the line is the gang here have already installed and reviewed many of the good bits, lots of reading!

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Welcome to the forum, try to take the slack from the cable out... It improves the response greatly 👍

Aleks 

Hi Aleksandar13. Could you please explain a little more about taking the slack from the cable? I was not familiar with this issue/improvement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Aleks 

Yes, welcome & Aleks solution improved the snatching for me as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Felipe C said:

Hi Aleksandar13. Could you please explain a little more about taking the slack from the cable? I was not familiar with this issue/improvement. 

Throttle cable has a bit of a gap / slack which contributes to jerky throttle / sometimes jerky shifting.

Adjust the barrel adjuster on the throttle cable first per the manual to tighten up the gap.

when you turn the handlebars the RPM of the engine should stay the same.

Read the manual section:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

Throttle cable has a bit of a gap / slack which contributes to jerky throttle / sometimes jerky shifting.

Adjust the barrel adjuster on the throttle cable first per the manual to tighten up the gap.

Read the manual section:

ADVUSA Thank you, very much! The throttle cable on my bike seems to have a bit of a gap and I was waiting for the first service to inquiry the mechanic. However, your brief explanation and the great link to the manual section are phenomenal. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Felipe C said:

ADVUSA Thank you, very much! The throttle cable on my bike seems to have a bit of a gap and I was waiting for the first service to inquiry the mechanic. However, your brief explanation and the great link to the manual section are phenomenal. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

Let us know how it goes...I have to adjust the "gap issue" tomorrow 😆

5 hours ago, Alan M said:

Yes for sure the throttle is a bit snatchy, I adjusted the slack in the cable on my bike and it helped a little, but at first service the dealer put the free play back in the cable lol!

I haven't readjusted the slack and have now around 2000 km on my bike and found I'm used to the way the throttle works.

One thing I found was the snatchy throttle is much more noticeable with my winter gloves, I hardly notice it all with my summer gloves, they just give better feel I guess .

I do have an aftermarket exhaust, don't think it made any difference to the throttle.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, ADVUSA said:

Read the manual section:

Hi ADVUSA,

This throttle cable adjustment is done at the handlebars? 

Put another 100 miles on the bike and took it slightly off-road just down to the Loch side. 

I checked the throttle free play and it seems minor, I’ll wait until after first service before I adjust it but my gut feeling is it’s a slight mapping issue. Would be interested to know if the MT-07 has the same characteristic, will ask my dealer.

Apart from this the bike feels great, no issues with seat comfort and fuel economy seems good. Not sure about the standard tyres off road but on road they feel secure.

491115C8-CB96-4D28-989A-F0E003487140.jpeg