Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM Heated Grips- Wrong Size WTH?

open1mind

This is NOT a post about the BTUs/Heat coming from the OEM accessory electric grips--- there is another post that solves that with lots of good info.

My issue- they dont look to be the correct size and length.  Please see the pic.  The bike was at the dealer for the 600 mile break in service, and they were surprised by the GAP between the end of the grip and the bar end.  Could that be correct?  Did yamaha ship the wrong part?   

Does anyone else have a pic of the heated grip installed and does it fill the space of the original stock grips fully?

Something must be wrong here, I hope?

IMG_3810.jpeg

IMG_3808.jpeg

Your dealer needs the sack as they should have ordered this part to complete the fitting. 

OEM Yamaha Heated Grip Spacer - Tenere 700  Product no.: YME-F296E-00-00

9F00D346-2FD8-462D-AC71-BB6C39E9E6D3.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks, I learned the same after posting the  question on FB.  Now if only we in ‘Marica, knew what cool sayings like “needs the sack” mean.

It’s a stupid design. Yamaha is the only oem that uses a 130mm length grip. Same company that also uses a left hand thread on the right mirror. 

On 9/12/2020 at 11:04 PM, roy826 said:

It’s a stupid design. Yamaha is the only oem that uses a 130mm length grip. Same company that also uses a left hand thread on the right mirror. 

tell me about it- I have a Tracer GT.  See the long thread on that forum about the problems that the mirror reverse thread.  Countless headaches to prevent it from rotating backwards.

• 2 months later...

On 9/13/2020 at 4:04 AM, roy826 said:

In fairness the LH thread on the RH mirror makes sense, it means if you hit something with the mirror it's more likely to loosen off rather than tighten up which could reduce the risk damage to the mirror or perch (which is also part of the front brake master cylinder). 

I'm with you on the grip length though, that's just plain daft!

Anyone in the US know where to find this extra part?  I'd ordered it after it was shown in stock and am now told it is backordered until Feb 2021.  I found the heated grips on Amazon and it will arrive this week.  Without the "sack" I don't want to install them.  

If I can't find the "sack" I'll return the grips and buy the Oxfords.  I just wanted to avoid another set of wires on the battery.  The Yamaha ones will plug into a existing receptacle under the right side faring.

1 hour ago, Dazz.w said:

I would get the Oxford mate.just fitted mine and they are crap

Why?  Did you set yours up/configure them?  Mine are great.  Hot, easy, auto-off.  No external controller.  I think it's a great solution.

Edited by ride2little
  • Like 1

Set them up tried them direct from battery and through the auxiliary wiring .just don't get very hot

• Haha 1

Yes. Set them up for level 3 (of3) for our bikes. Nice and toasty. By default they are at level 1 suitable for scooter charging systems. 

18 hours ago, Dazz.w said:

Set them up tried them direct from battery and through the auxiliary wiring .just don't get very hot

User install error, or a problem with poor circulation in your hands, are u a Diabetic? I'm in canada and have had many bikes/snow machines and from experience these grip when installed properly are HOT... I don't even use the 3rd setting.