Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

SW Motech crash bars poor quality.

Adventure6965

After waiting nearly 3 months for my crash bars to arrive they are both damaged. They were very well packed so must have been damaged before they sent them out to my dealers. Totally gutted & annoyed with SW Motech. 

20200916_175454.jpg

20200916_175510.jpg

Umm, why're you telling us, instead of them? 

Give them a chance to make it right before you freak out, petal.

Edited by ahamay
  • Like 1

Mine arrived the same way.  I figured they were going to get beat up anyway, so I taped off the areas that were down to the metal and painted them so they wouldn't rust. I didn't want to go through the hassle of shipping them back and waiting. I installed them and they are great.👍

• Like 4

Not to minimize your emotions about this but, to me, “poor quality” would be mean bad welds or fitting issues etc...

My bars showed up without a scratch. Had they shown up like yours I doubt I would’ve noticed or I would’ve thought I have instant “ADV cred”.

Now my experience with the Outback bars was another story!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

You'll probably not notice once they have a few dead flies on them.

As already mentioned, I would personally class poor quality as bad welds or fitting issues, this seems like very minor cosmetic marks...................on a Crash Bar 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It's a shame but doesn't seem to be a general problem. Mine arrived without any scratches and I'm very pleased with their quality.

(I know this doesn't help you. Maybe ask for a partial refund if you don't want to send them back?)

Edited by qInvention
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Burner said:

Not to minimize your emotions about this but, to me, “poor quality” would be mean bad welds or fitting issues etc...

My bars showed up without a scratch. Had they shown up like yours I doubt I would’ve noticed or I would’ve thought I have instant “ADV cred”.

Now my experience with the Outback bars was another story!

Yeah, chicks dig scars!

Edited by SKIPNOMAD

I contacted my dealer straight away & luckily he had 2 sets come in so hopefully they have no scratches on those. I don't see any reason for accepting damaged goods no matter how small the damage. It's not like they're cheap. The other set the dealer has are also damaged. SW Motech need to up their quality control.

Edited by Adventure6965
Additional information.
  • Like 2

Mine had the same type of damage on arrival.  I was also disappointed with the scratches, but to send them back was just too much hassle for something that will get beat up sooner or later.

I agree that they need to sort out their QC.

• Like 3

Mine arrived with the same damage as in the pics, just a bit worse. I know they get damaged in a drop but I paid for new undamaged. Its a principal thing. A phone call and a few pics to SW sorted it. Courier picked the damaged ones up when they dropped the replacement off. Worth waiting a couple of weeks for. (The replacement actually came directly from Germany and not their UK store) 

Sounds like they got a serious packing issue. There is actually the name of the packer inside the wrap. Wonder if we all got the same one?

Well pleased!

On 9/17/2020 at 8:56 AM, Adventure6965 said:

I contacted my dealer straight away & luckily he had 2 sets come in so hopefully they have no scratches on those. I don't see any reason for accepting damaged goods no matter how small the damage. It's not like they're cheap. The other set the dealer has are also damaged. SW Motech need to up their quality control.

@Adventure6965, probably it's your dealers  problem ( storage, staff ), or delivery problem. I guess it's your dealers problem. A damage like this would not pass our incoming goods inspection, especially not twice.

• 3 weeks later...

what torque specs for these bolts when you mount the sw-motech guards ? the guide says - use OEM specs 🤔20201013_105212.thumb.jpg.00efc6369a98e99764612ac3e3e6be85.jpg

25 minutes ago, FriendlyFungus said:

what torque specs for these bolts when you mount the sw-motech guards ? the guide says - use OEM specs 🤔20201013_105212.thumb.jpg.00efc6369a98e99764612ac3e3e6be85.jpg

image.png.a7a20eac790b9a23324da51da0e55865.png

1 minute ago, FriendlyFungus said:

Fantastic. Thank you @TimmyTheHog . Should've looked closer in the PDF 

No worry...my eye did cross a bit looking at which bolts LOL...

• 1 year later...

I know I'm replying to a very old thread but SW motech installation instructions are garbage. What spacers go where? There's no description or it's in German..

If you don’t have instructions go to SWmotech.com and download them. The install diagram clearly shows which spacers go where.