Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

1200GS to 700

hangon_ralph

Hello all, new to the group.

Currently riding a 1200GS BM

I'm test riding a 700 on Tuesday. Just wondered if anyone on here has swapped a 1200GS for the Tenere and how they found it, power, torque etc?

Regards

If you check out Robert from Nomad Sweden  on YouTube,  I think he did this and discussed it on his channel.  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

Swapped 1250 rallye for T7 then swapped my T7 for T7 rally, confused? I am but loving the T7 way more than the BM.

the T7 ticks every box and speaking with a BM rep he said the they are losing more BM sales to the Yamaha due to the middleweight requirements

• Like 4

Interestingly I just bought a 16 GS while waiting for the T7 to arrive.   It was kind of spontaneous decision based solely on the price... so far I really,  really, really like it... powerful,  comfortable,  really impressive on gravel... really a good 'do it all' machine.   I am apprehensive about long term reliability though; lots of doo dads to go kaput.

I plan on taking delivery of the T7 when available and riding both for a few months while I figure out if I want to keep both or only one.    The things that appeal to me about the T7 are really the things that are opposite the GS... thin,  light,  simple... 

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

The two are close enough in weight to compare but power output and two up comfort is where they really differ.

I have a 2012 R1200 GS and plan to keep it for Two up riding with the Wife.  We could both "fit" on the Tenere but the BMW fits us much better and has the power to scoot us and luggage down the road just fine.

Both are roughly equally heavy to pick up particularly because the BMW never really falls completely over.  Resting on a cylinder it's halfway up already.  For me they are equal there.

Weather protection get the BMW nod. 

Freeway ability both are equal.  73hp or 110 or 160 doesn't really matter.  Cruising 75-80 is easily done with anything over 65hp.  T7 has plenty on tap at speeding ticket speeds.

Offroad obviously, the Tenere is less of a workout and will get you up loose and steeper terrain than the BMW even with similar tires.

Both are nimble and equally fun on backroads.  BMW turns in a tad quicker likely due to the 19" front.  

Both feel equally not top heavy however offroad, the Tenere can lean more before hitting that point where it wants to keep tipping over.  BMW gets there quickly.

If I were to give up the BMW the ONLY thing I would miss is the Two up comfort.  All other riding can be done with the T700 and you won't really miss the BMW.

Pre water boxer BMW's are a pain in the A## if you need to replace the clutch.  Have to split the bike.  IF you're lucky the mechanic can replace everything and you won't have massive vibrations.  If you're not lucky, it could take many attempts to fix...if at all.

J

Edited by Goldentaco

451 lb T7 v 524 lb GS... not sure I'd call that "close" in weight.... though I do agree the GS feels lighter than it is. 

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

1 hour ago, MeefZah said:

451 lb T7 v 524 lb GS... not sure I'd call that "close" in weight.... though I do agree the GS feels lighter than it is. 

OP didn't specify which year GS model.

Waterboxers are 524 wet like your '16

My 2012 is lighter @ 504 wet.  

If you're talking Adventures, non waterboxers are 564 wet and Waterboxer Adventures are 573 wet.  I think the '04-'08's were the lightest at around 496.  All this is assuming the published numbers can be trusted.  I haven't weighed mine as it sits now ( Full Remus and Jessee Rack)

I always tell people the GS loses 100 lbs once you get it moving but once airborne it gains 200.

J

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just swapped a T 7 for a 1200 GS at 204 kg verses 240 kg it's much easier pushing around the garage, getting on the main stand, waiting in traffic without one finger on the brake as i am getting older a good decision on my part. 

• Like 1

I just came from a 2007 GSA to a 2021 Tenere 700 and am very pleased. Reminds me more about my Husky FE501 which is a good thing. It's easy to maneuver, ride off-road and has enough oohmph.

On the downside, it's not as competent on road trips. I'll buy a bigger windscreen soon, but they are all back ordered.

Also, fit and finish are (obviously) a step down, but I expected that. The plastics are super britle. I wish acerbis, polisport or whoever would make replica fairings made of the dirt bike plastic.

Other than that, I'm super happy with the Tenere.

Obviously OP needs to know the information they're after since they already have the R1200 but can you even compare a $18k bike to a $10k bike? Seems like the differences are going to be too vast to overcome and make a valid comparison.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:58 AM, HoboHighlander said:

Obviously OP needs to know the information they're after since they already have the R1200 but can you even compare a $18k bike to a $10k bike? Seems like the differences are going to be too vast to overcome and make a valid comparison.

Not really. I am going to be selling my 2016 1200GS in the spring. It is an amazing bike but at my age(70) the T7 is much more appropriate for me. The GS has way more power than I need. I have had my T7 for a month now and 600+ miles. It more than fills the bill for me. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Goldentaco,

Thanks for your comparison between the older camhead GS to the T7.  I also have a 2011 R1200GS Adventure.  I bought it used last year and have put around 16,000 miles on it.  I have the dreaded leak at the rear main seal.  It has actually been diagnosed as the counter balancer shaft seal leaking, which is good because it is not affecting the clutch, nevertheless the only option for repair is to split the bike in half.  That means big bucks.

The GS is an amazing machine, but it hasn't thrilled me.  It is by far the most comfortable long distance bike I have ever ridden.  I have had several bikes and have been riding for many years.  My last two bikes were a Z1000 and a KLR650.  I sold both and bought the used GS.  

Due to repair costs and the short maintenance intervals of the GS, I've been seriously shopping for a replacement.  I want to ride more and wrench less .  The T7 looks to be a prime candidate. 

I appreciate your input, it answers a lot of my questions.  I am surprised that you rated both similar in difficulty to pick up, but it makes sense considering the GS usually doesn't fall flat.  The cylinder guards keep close to a 45 or 50 degree angle.

My biggest concern with the T7 was highway comfort.  I'm willing to give up some comfort, but I would like to be able to make long trips to Colorado, Moab and beyond.  I'm 6'2" tall with a 34 inch inseam and I go about 200 lbs without gear.  From what I'm reading about the T7 and some of the youtube reviews I am feeling good about it.  I may pull the trigger on it very soon.

Thanks again

• Like 1