Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Recommended tube and size?

Johnny Fuel

Question

I know the size of my stock tires, but I don't know how to size tubes. Can anyone recommend some tire tubes for the front and rear? I like the idea of having one of each on hand just in case I need one. I checked the OEM parts but didn't see the size listed. I'm not sure how to buy tubes. Do you simply look for the same diameter as the tire?

dk54124.jpg

Find the IRC 21" Inner Tube w/TR-4 Chrome Center Metal Valve Stem (2.75/3.00, 90-100/80, 90/90, 80-90/100) - T20078 at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Dirt Bike Motorcycle Goldwing parts and accessories including the IRC 21" Inner Tube w/TR-4 Chrome Center Metal Valve Stem (2.75/3.00, 90-100/80...

https://www.denniskirk.com/irc/18-in-inner-tube-with-chrome-stem-t20064.p54141.prd/54141.sku

These tubes will work great.

Edited by whisperquiet

Had a pretty big nail in my tire today. I took this pic of the tube when it came out.  I can't find a tube in town, so we'll see how a patch goes.  🍻

PXL_20201020_233317000.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JayD said:

Bumping this thread- I have really no clue how to pick tubes for a motorcycle. Someone please explain 🙂

Did you check your owners manual?

20 minutes ago, Limey said:

Good suggestion! No I havent and I didnt even think of it. The «owners manual» that came with my bike is the thinnest piece of information Ive ever seen, with 4-5 pages. Perhaps it says the tube size there, have to check.

The owners manual only gives him tire size. Since you don't have the knowledge about tubes i think it would be best to find a competent dealer (Good Luck) and get extra’s from them.  If not then get a name brand such as the Pirelli or Michelin in the size of your tire and google motorcycle tubes to learn the different valve stem designs such as straight or 90 deg. I don't have my bike yet so i cannot verify the stem on the tubes. When you google it there will be crossover sizes as well. 

26 minutes ago, Limey said:

By the way, I did find out the size of the tire before I asked. What I dont know is how to pick tube. Lets take the rear: 150/70/18- if I understand correctly the first two numbers are the size, and the last is the rim size. To find a tube for the rear, I have to find a tube that has the exact same numbers listed for it to fit? Ive checked the three biggest online sellers in Norway and neither has that size at all, so thats why I asked for more information. Im assuming theres metric and non metric sizing etc.

4 minutes ago, NvNick said:

The owners manual only gives him tire size. Since you don't have the knowledge about tubes i think it would be best to find a competent dealer (Good Luck) and get extra’s from them.  If not then get a name brand such as the Pirelli or Michelin in the size of your tire and google motorcycle tubes to learn the different valve stem designs such as straight or 90 deg. I don't have my bike yet so i cannot verify the stem on the tubes. When you google it there will be crossover sizes as well. 

Exactly- thank you for the help. Im learning more and more each google search and forum post, which is why I asked the question in the first place 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hogan said:

Traditionally the tube size matched the tyre size. Eg a 4.00/4.25r18 tube would fit a tyre that is a 4.00r18 or 4.25r18 size.

Technically what matters is the volume the tube is expanded to. You don't want to inflate a tube to the point it becomes too thin to hold air or maintain strength/dissipate heat etc.

But all that doesn't matter. The reality is the one tube fits most all tyre sizes. You can see that from @wookee's picture. That tube fits everything from the T7 (150/90) to a standard Enduro bike (120/90), to even smaller tyres like the 4.00r18 which is what a lot of the old 70/80s enduros and trials bike used.

But it's actually not that common for tube manufacturers to stamp the tubes with all those ratings. Most will just say 4.00/4.50r18 which covers most dirt bikes made in the last 40 years.

TLDR; Buy any 18" tube. It will work.

Thanks a lot Hogan, much appreciated. Adding a TLDR was a classy touch 🙂

To give you an idea of the range that a tube will work, many only carry a 21in front as a spare as it can be used in either tire, just not long term in the rear.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NvNick said:

To give you an idea of the range that a tube will work, many only carry a 21in front as a spare as it can be used in either tire, just not long term in the rear.

Yeah exactly, good point! That save some space too 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 10:40 PM, Hogan said:

Traditionally the tube size matched the tyre size. Eg a 4.00/4.25r18 tube would fit a tyre that is a 4.00r18 or 4.25r18 size.

Technically what matters is the volume the tube is expanded to. You don't want to inflate a tube to the point it becomes too thin to hold air or maintain strength/dissipate heat etc.

But all that doesn't matter. The reality is the one tube fits most all tyre sizes. You can see that from @wookee's picture. That tube fits everything from the T7 (150/90) to a standard Enduro bike (120/90), to even smaller tyres like the 4.00r18 which is what a lot of the old 70/80s enduros and trials bike used.

But it's actually not that common for tube manufacturers to stamp the tubes with all those ratings. Most will just say 4.00/4.50r18 which covers most dirt bikes made in the last 40 years.

TLDR; Buy any 18" tube. It will work.

Great advice from @Hogan as it's hard to find a 150/70/18 inner tube on eBay.

I've decided to go for a heavy duty Michelin Airstop (Butyl) sized 130/70/18 (3.25 - 4.60). 

I'll replace the original with this butyl tube when it's a bit warmer and fit a rubber inner tube if I get a puncture in Morocco and glue rubber patches on that if I'm unlucky to get another puncture...

You can see the tyre spec here 

2019-Yamaha-XTZ700-EU-Ceramic_Ice-Action

Key features and technical specifications for the Yamaha Ténéré 700.

Edited by James

So I am a tube noob. This thread has been helpful. One question I have that is not addressed is tube thickness. I understand thinner for hwy and thicker for off road. I see tubes from 1.x mm thickness to 4 mm. For a roughly 60/40 rider (on/off) that will do tarmac getting to the dirt, what is appropriate? Is 2 mm about right to resist puncture and heat buildup? Is 3 mm too thick for road touring? Thanks for any help or RL experience.

• Like 3

Since no one has told you how to tell what size a tube is, I will so do, though I know I'm a few months late.

When a tube says "100/90R21" the first number, 100, is 100mm wide. The second number, 90, means that its sidewall height is 90% of the width. In this case, 90% of 100mm is 90mm. 21 is the wheel size.

When a tube says "4.10/4.50 - 18" it means that the tube is for a 4.1 inch wide tire and can expand to work in a 4.5 inch wide tire. 18 is the wheel size.

• Like 7

On 6/3/2021 at 1:33 PM, Zippopotamus said:

Since no one has told you how to tell what size a tube is, I will so do, though I know I'm a few months late.

When a tube says "100/90R21" the first number, 100, is 100mm wide. The second number, 90, means that its sidewall height is 90% of the width. In this case, 90% of 100mm is 90mm. 21 is the wheel size.

When a tube says "4.10/4.50 - 18" it means that the tube is for a 4.1 inch wide tire and can expand to work in a 4.5 inch wide tire. 18 is the wheel size.

Perfect, thanks. I don't know how "they" could make that any simpler. 😲

On 6/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, Zippopotamus said:

I totally agree on two first two paragraphs. But wondering about the last.

I think 4.50/5.10x 18 is the suggested tube for 150/70-18 tyre in general. But 150mm is 5.9 inches. That would mean that  recommended tube is lacking 0.8 inches.  4.5/5.1 would fit 120 and 130 tires and anything wider would be pushing it.

On the other hand if that means a rim width the suggested tube would be on the spot. But... 4.5/5.1x18 is also a suggested inner tube for 140/80 that is seated to KTM 690's 2.5in rim. That's 2 inches too wide.

So the logic doesn't seem to hold when checking actual installed tubes. Or am I missing something in my logic?

Edited by Hobes

On 6/15/2021 at 2:01 AM, Hobes said:

I totally agree on two first two paragraphs. But wondering about the last.

I think 4.50/5.10x 18 is the suggested tube for 150/70-18 tyre in general. But 150mm is 5.9 inches. That would mean that  recommended tube is lacking 0.8 inches.  4.5/5.1 would fit 120 and 130 tires and anything wider would be pushing it.

On the other hand if that means a rim width the suggested tube would be on the spot. But... 4.5/5.1x18 is also a suggested inner tube for 140/80 that is seated to KTM 690's 2.5in rim. That's 2 inches too wide.

So the logic doesn't seem to hold when checking actual installed tubes. Or am I missing something in my logic?

I guess I'm not completely sure on that. My best guess is that the numbers for the tubes are for the outside dimensions of the tube and you have to fit a smaller tube to match the inside dimensions of the tire because the tire size is determined by the tread, and not the space inside the tire.

Sorry just going to resurface this thread to ask a quick question. I’ve a brand new enduro tyre I was thinking would be suitable on the T7. Certainly enough to get me out of trouble if I puncture on an upcoming trip. 

There are 2 sizes listed on the box

80/100-21

90/90-21

Would it work? 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Sorry just going to resurface this thread to ask a quick question. I’ve a brand new enduro tyre I was thinking would be suitable on the T7. Certainly enough to get me out of trouble if I puncture on an upcoming trip. 

There are 2 sizes listed on the box

80/100-21

90/90-21

Would it work? 

Go with the wider 90/90-21.

• Like 3

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

35 minutes ago, tenerecanada said:

I think he meant the box says the tube will fit both sizes.

@JasonYes it will work. i bought a tube for the front en it had even more sizes on the box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always ran heavy duty tubes until I did the transamerica trail last year on my 690. I got a nail in the rear in Colorado and used my spare which was a standard duty and was a lot thinner. The standard tube was put through a lot of rough riding and tough terrain without issue. I dont usually air the tires down much so I probably wont be spending the extra money on heavy duty tubes anymore. The standard I put in was $10 and is still on the bike now.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, tenerecanada said:

On 4/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

I think he meant the box says the tube will fit both sizes.

@JasonYes it will work. i bought a tube for the front en it had even more sizes on the box.

Sorry lads I thought I replied but must have been a figment of my imagination. Thanks a million, good to know it’ll work 👌🏼 As I say, just to get me out of trouble but hopefully not needed