Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
REDHORSECA

REDHORSECA T7 Log - Southern California

REDHORSECA
Posted (edited)

Dealership: HYR Redlands, California -My second purchase from this Dealership.  A+ I'm happy with them!

Deposit: June 13th, 2020 - Specified Ceramic Ice T700 (Blue) color, first choice color.

Delivered @ Dealership: Sept. 30th, 2020  - Red/White T700 - Ceramic Ice was going to be a longer wait.

Ready for pick up: Oct. 2nd, 2020 (Waited about 16 weeks for a T700, to be delivered from deposit date.)

Build Date: 8/2020

Bike #: 476

ODO: 1 mile

fMDVy9E.jpg

Accumulated FARKLES pile, before my T7 was delivered.

TByw3Tu.jpg

7PrfVtC.jpg

10\3\2020

MAINTENANCE:

• As a precaution, from the two reported (that I've read) rear brake lockup/dragging from the brake fluid heating up and expanding in an overfilled rear brake reservoir. Since I had the side covers and rear plastic off the bike for doing the Tail Tiddy, there was plenty of access to the rear reservoir. You only need to remove the right side lowest black plastic panel that is next to the rear painted plastic piece for access. I  checked/removed some of the brake fluid from the rear reservoir to just below the HIGH fill line. It was just only slightly higher than the HIGH fill line, it wasn't too over filled. But I decided to remove a little anyways, to lower the brake fluid level. I just used a new plastic drink straw and dip it into the brake fluid and covered the straw opening with my finger to extract a little brake fluid until I reach my desired level.

INSTALLED:

• ACD - Skid plate Raw - ACD Group Buy
    • Nice looking and welds are perfect. I used 3 of the 4 bolts from the stock bash plate. 4th OEM bolt wouldn't start. I found the bolts that ACD included. I'll go back and replace all the OEM bolts with the ACD bolts.
  • Camel ADV - Tail Tidy (T7-TT)
    • Great Product!
  • YAMAHA - Blinkers Plus Rear [YME-FLB2R-10-00] - eBay
    • Wired for brake lights and running lights. I love these Yamaha GYTR LED lights; attractive looking LED markers, very bright, brake/running light features, and just the right size. This is what the T7 should have come with. Expensive though from eBay.
  • Camel ADV - Traction Pegs (BF-04)
    • Not much bigger than stock, but a better bite for off-roading
  • MZS - Short Brake & Clutch Levers FZ/MT 07/09 [Blue] - Amazon 10/5/20 - NOT RECOMMENDED FOR T7, brake lever activates brakes not until the last 85% of travel. Too close to grips. At least on the set I got. It's adjusted correctly on the settings position. I thought it was a brake bleeding issue. Switched back to stock and all is GOOD now.
    • Kind of sloppy play with the levers at pivot point, up/down play. I will probably replace with a higher quality and name brand. I did use the clutch bushing.
  • Rally Raid - Seat Release - RRP 629
    • I forgo with the P clips and rubber band. Used the bolt studs as a seat locator, rear seat section will hold front section down. Seat Concept one piece seat will eliminate the need for this kit. Alen key back into the tool kit.
  • Rally Raid - Yamaha T7 Spanner - RRP 613
    • Great tool! A must have!
  • YAMAHA - OEM Main (Center) Stand [BW3-F71A0-V0-00] - eBay
    • Previously mounted on a T7, not used though. Like NEW! Bike take off from eBay seller. Good price!
  • YAMAHA GYTR Factory - CYCRA ProBend handguards [DBY-ACC56-34-70] - Amazon [Discontinued item]
    • The upgraded powder coating/colors on the CNC aluminum bar and mounts from the standard CYCRA offerings is a nice touch. Just a fancy sticker on the standard hand guards, I will see how long they stay attached.
  • Generic - Engine Guard bumper/sliders - AliExpress (for the Adventure Spec crash bar)
    • installed two extra on each side of the AS engine guards.
  • GENERIC - Radiator Guard Grill Protection Cover [China clone of the OEM Yamaha Rad Guard $40] - eBay (I'll verify quality/ fit before I link it.)
    • Chinese knock off of the OEM Yamaha radiator guard. Not bad quality, black powder coating. It took some persuasion (hand pressure down from top) to align one of the bottom mounting bolts with the radiator nut clip.

DELIVERED

IN Transit - Shipped

• CRG RC2 Brake & Clutch Levers: Yamaha FZ / MT / FJ / FJR / XSR900 Black / Shorty - REVZILLA

Ordered/Waiting to be shipped

Group Buy Commitment

• Seat Concepts - as soon as they open up a group buy. Still not sure which seat to order. Need to put some long rides on the stock and do some off-roading.

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 3

REDHORSECA

Camel High Fender kit install. Almost done with the kit install here. Just refreshing my memory watching the YT install video. Very hot day in SOCAL, I have the battery powered Dewalt fan to keep me comfy.

3c7Bbnd.jpg

10\4\2020

MAINTENANCE:

Voluntold my brother to help me out when he dropped by to say hi and see the new bike. I had him help bleed the new front brake lines. Not sure where all the parts for my other one are, so I just ordered another tool. I bought another vacuum brake bleeder tool from AMZ a while ago in preparations. Brother had never used one before. Lets just say it didn't go perfectly. It got dark, not happy how the front brakes feel. I'll try it again on another day.

INSTALLED:

REDHORSECA
Posted (edited)

10\5\2020

MAINTENANCE:

Just put on a few more farkles on today. But I went back and fixed a few things on ones I did before.

I bled the brakes a second time. This time by myself with the brake vacuum tool. Brake feels much better. I opened up the bleed nipple much more this time and more air bubbles came out. I normally just crack it open maybe 1/2 turn, I would get most of the air bubbles out right away, then get some micro bubbles. When I opened up the bleed nipple some more I got more larger air bubble trickling out. So now it's all good for now.

Replaced the OEM bolts I used for the ACD bash plate with the Alan head bolts provided by ACD, they are slightly longer than the OEM ones.

There was the left side lower bracket from the GIVI pannier rack that I couldn't align with the bracket installed onto the passenger peg mount. So I used a ratchet strap to help align it and I could finally bolt it on properly.

OINNavtl.jpg

Acerbis front fender and the Adventure Spec crash guards are finally on. The front of my White/Red T700 now has a blue front end. RED, WHITE and BLUE T700. lol I know the GYTR CYCRA handguards need to be even. I adjusted them some today after this picture was taken, but they are still not perfectly even. I think I need to 3D print a small spacer for the brake side. I'm still playing with them. I'm going to adjust the handle bars after one more day of riding, then finalize the CYCRA handguards.

Y8y4NGOl.jpg

INSTALLED:

Edited by REDHORSECA

CAJW

Glad to hear you finally got your bike and are happy with the treatment you got from your dealer.  HYR was one of the very few CA dealers I missed in my quest for a T7. Please consider adding your comments to this thread as good dealers are hard to find and we need to spread the word.   Congrats! 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

REDHORSECA

Got home from my California Beaches ride. Visited the old neighborhood from my childhood.

iHiGj7C.jpg

2ERodvj.jpg

6vq7t8x.jpg

ioxpa3m.jpg

Kmj9NjC.jpg

jw4I8qT.jpg

7rVLvkJ.jpg

10\11\2020

MAINTENANCE:

Came back home to the IE and hit 606 miles.  So, I did the T700's first filter and oil change.

Edited by REDHORSECA

X Plane

Spin to old roots 👍

• Like 1

REDHORSECA

10\13\2020

INSTALLED:

My CRG RC2 short brake lever arrived today. CRG also makes a standard length brake lever. Install took all but a minute.

Great machining and really tight tolerances. Almost no up and down play, negligible. Top notch quality!

Adjusted to the small dot, 1st position of 6. Closest to the grip.

KCSoECB.jpg

Adjusted to the large dot, 6th of 6 positions. Furthest away from the grip.

3Fn0kpA.jpg

I like the 3rd position feel, not having ridden with it yet. I'll see after my commute tomorrow, what position I end up liking.

It has a roller bearing surface engagement for the adjustment, so changing positions takes very little effort.

• Like 2

TimmyTheHog
13 hours ago, REDHORSECA said:

10\13\2020

INSTALLED:

My CRG RC2 short brake lever arrived today. CRG also makes a standard length brake lever. Install took all but a minute.

Great machining and really tight tolerances. Almost no up and down play, negligible. Top notch quality!

Adjusted to the small dot, 1st position of 6. Closest to the grip.

KCSoECB.jpg

Adjusted to the large dot, 6th of 6 positions. Furthest away from the grip.

3Fn0kpA.jpg

I like the 3rd position feel, not having ridden with it yet. I'll see after my commute tomorrow, what position I end up liking.

It has a roller bearing surface engagement for the adjustment, so changing positions takes very little effort.

no issue the levers to the hand guard? might just be my eye playing tricks on me...

REDHORSECA

No, not right now. They are not touching, but there is like 1/8" gap. The camera angle makes it look worse than it really is. But if I drop the bike and the guards move, the guard aluminum bar may hit the lever. Good eye.

I'm going to 3D print some 1/2" long ABS plastic spacers to move the inner mounting location on the bars a little further out for more clearance.

• Like 1

REDHORSECA

10/15/20

The T700 turn over 1,000 miles after work. So, I went to the Dealership to pick up some Yamalube oil and a crush washer for the second oil change. I also picked up a Michelin front and rear inner tube spares. I had a $10 email coupon for doing the online Yamaha survey of purchasing the T700 from my Dealership.

I did the first oil & filter change at 606 miles. I'll do the 1k oil change tomorrow.

I did mention that my front right rotor was rubbing very slightly on the brake caliper (not brake pad) to the Service Manager. I could slightly feel it when braking, metal on metal rubbing. They looked at it and did confirm the rotor slightly touching the caliper. They said the could squeeze  me in tomorrow at 5pm, since it was already near their closing time.

I was going to attempt to adjust the front wheel in the forks myself. But, I thought I would let them know. So, that they could keep an eye out when they were assembling other new T700 for their future customers.

CRG RC2 clutch lever arrived in the mail.

10/16/20

INSTALLED:

CRG RC2 shorty clutch cable in the morning, before riding to work. I didn't even have to mess with the clutch cable adjuster. Just took off the bolt (don't forget the OEM bushing in the factory clutch lever!) and pulled the cable barrel through the clutch lever and slid the CRG lever in it's place. Bolted it up and all was great!

Dealer Warranty Service:

Dropped by the Dealership after work at the 5PM appointment. Chilled in the nice lobby and looked at some bikes. An hour later they were done. Temporary fix. They could not get it adjusted perfectly. The new T700 they had there had the same issue with the front rotor rubbing. They ended up shimming the right front rotor.

They took pictures and are notifying Yamaha for a fix/advice.

REDHORSECA

10/18/20

MAINTENANCE:

I did the 2nd oil change on the bike @ 1152 miles with some Yamalube 10w-50 and new crush washer, per Dealership recommendation @ 600 mi & 1,000 mi. I hand tightened oil drain plug by feel on the new crush washer.  I have four other Yamaha street & dirt bikes currently in my garage. So, I have plenty of experience.

The Dealership only had 1 quart of Yamalube 10W-40 full Synth on the shelves. So, I got the 10w-50 instead.

FHIbaG4.jpg

Gave the bike a good wash to get rid of all the dust and silt stuck to it. Then lubed the chain afterwards.

• Like 1

REDHORSECA

10/20/20

INSTALLED:

I got around to installing the TST Industries (RLYG2) adjustable LED flasher relay yesterday.

Amazon link for the TST Industries  RLYG2 adjustable LED flasher relay:

2 Pin LED Flasher Relay for Honda Kawasaki Yamaha Suzuki (Gen 2) - RLYG2

2 Pin LED Flasher Relay for Honda Kawasaki Yamaha Suzuki (Gen 2) ZX6R ZX10R 600RR 1000RR R6 R1 F4i GSXR FZ6R

Dropped right in like the OEM relay. I did it by just removing the seats. I didn't have to pull the right side panel.

Pulled the factory relay out from top of the bike. Disconnected the relay from the wiring harness. Pulled the rubber mount from the factory relay and put it on the TST relay.

For my bike, it was the two pin relay on the right side top frame rail under the main seat. Of the two relays sitting next to each other, it was the relay closer towards the rear of the bike.

Connected the TST relay to the factory wiring. Clips right in like the factory unit. Secured the TST relay with the rubber mount back onto the factory location.

Tested the LED turn indicators and they were blinking at the perfect rate. I didn't have to adjust the relay speed at all. Hazard lights were also blinking at the perfect rate.

It just took a couple minutes. Longest part was getting the rubber mount onto the new flasher relay. Sticking a small screw driver under the plastic clip for more room, some spit, and the rubber mount slid right into place.

Perfect replacement flasher relay for LED turn indicators.

=================================================================================

10/21/20

INSTALLED:

I saw this posted on the FB T700 group. [Facebook link Oct 14th] Paul posted some videos of the issue.

I replaced the factory chain roller guides on my T700 with ones with roller bearings. The factory ones do not have a bearing, just a metal sleeve and they can begin to make irritating noise when they wear out or get dirty.

I got these on AMZ, they come in different colors:

Outlaw Racing OR3074Bu Chain Roller Guide 34X28mm Blue Predator 500 Mx125 Mx250

414yFNiZcAL._AA130_.jpg

The Outlaw Racing chain roller guides drop right in and are a perfect fit.

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co. or Tenere700.net .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.