Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 1 Finger Clutch

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor
10 hours ago, Jeepaolic said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

158C09F6-B4ED-4416-BD9C-245CFB910844.jpegAlso when I move the arm without spring and cable I do not feel any resistance like nothing is connected in there 

If that is the resting position with no more movement ahead, it looks to be too far forward. Move the arm back one spline on the shaft and try to set it up again.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Ok job done in 10 min ! So many thanks! Guess I had too much of a day!

sorry for being such an idiot hehehe

my left hand will thank me later !

• Like 4

• Supporting Vendor
5 hours ago, Jeepaolic said:

Ok job done in 10 min ! So many thanks! Guess I had too much of a day!

sorry for being such an idiot hehehe

my left hand will thank me later !

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

• Like 1

This is one of the better accessories I bought for the T7 really does make a difference. 

• Like 1

Once the Camel ADV clutch arm is properly installed, is there a recommendation for clutch cable adjustment regarding the clutch lever?

• Supporting Vendor
9 hours ago, Boondocker said:

Once the Camel ADV clutch arm is properly installed, is there a recommendation for clutch cable adjustment regarding the clutch lever?

If you can fit a nickel on edge between the perch and lever, you have enough free-play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only thing I realized now is that I need a short clutch lever now! Any recommandation anyone? I know asv for their quality and also know we must stay away from AliExpress if we don’t want a loose lever…

• 2 weeks later...

@Camel ADV I noticed my clutch lever was nice and smooth due to the one finger kit, works great. 

However just the other  day i looked at the spring, and saw that the clutch return spring was busted. Not sure how that happened but I will have to order a replacement looks like. have you heard of anyone elses spring breaking? I only noticed b/c it looked like the spring was sitting way outside the hole for it - b/c there was obviously no tension on it. Bike still runs just fine without the spring, since the internal clutch springs are all that is in there but I will replace the external spring regardless.

Mike

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

@Camel ADV I noticed my clutch lever was nice and smooth due to the one finger kit, works great. 

However just the other  day i looked at the spring, and saw that the clutch return spring was busted. Not sure how that happened but I will have to order a replacement looks like. have you heard of anyone elses spring breaking? I only noticed b/c it looked like the spring was sitting way outside the hole for it - b/c there was obviously no tension on it. Bike still runs just fine without the spring, since the internal clutch springs are all that is in there but I will replace the external spring regardless.

Mike

I had same thing happen to me. I installed the one finger clutch kit just before I left for the MABDR.  Somewhere along that 2600 mile trip the clutch return spring broke.  I replaced it when I got back.  It broke at the bottom of the spring where the leg that hooks onto the boss on the motor joins the coil. See the pic below. 

Not sure what caused it. Going to keep an eye on the current one to see if it breaks again. 24197E36-3309-4234-858E-471C136D2A15.thumb.jpeg.a4b35d04095899429231e7c913326615.jpeg

• Like 2

@Liquidape that is exactly where mine broke. strange!

Only bad part about having to replace the darned thing is buying one spring, the shipping is more than the spring 🙂

Mike

27 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

@Liquidape that is exactly where mine broke. strange!

Only bad part about having to replace the darned thing is buying one spring, the shipping is more than the spring 🙂

Mike

I just ordered it from my local dealer and picked it up when it came in and bought a few oil filters at the same time to make the trip worth it for me and the $1.97 order worth it for them. 

• Supporting Vendor

Broken clutch arm spring, very strange. I haven't seen or heard of that before 🤨

16 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Broken clutch arm spring, very strange. I haven't seen or heard of that before 🤨

Who knows maybe Yamaha had a few bad springs.

I’m certainly not blaming the one finger clutch arm at this point. 
If I break a second I might put the old lever on just for sciences sake to see if it happens with the stock arm but at  $2.00 a pc with a non catastrophic failure mode I’m not really worried about it too much. 

On 3/20/2021 at 11:40 AM, Camel ADV said:

If you're out of adjustment on the cable guide, I'd bump the clutch arm ahead one spline on the shaft and adjust from there. Definitely don't ride the bike without any cable freeplay, you will cook your clutch!

Installed the kit a few days ago and i'm a complete newb when it comes to clutch free play adjustment.  I watched your install video as i installed the kit onto the bike and at this point i'm more concerned about cooking the clutch than i am about having too much free play.  Would the definition of "enough free play" be the minimum cable slack that allows the lever to fully return to the rear position? I filmed this yesterday evening and as far as i can tell, the adjustment does not prevent the arm from full returning to the rear position:

anything i'm missing? 

• Supporting Vendor
17 hours ago, Roarke said:

Installed the kit a few days ago and i'm a complete newb when it comes to clutch free play adjustment.  I watched your install video as i installed the kit onto the bike and at this point i'm more concerned about cooking the clutch than i am about having too much free play.  Would the definition of "enough free play" be the minimum cable slack that allows the lever to fully return to the rear position? I filmed this yesterday evening and as far as i can tell, the adjustment does not prevent the arm from full returning to the rear position:

anything i'm missing? 

You'll want to check the freeplay at the lever on the bars. You should be able to get a nickel in the gap between the lever and the perch. 
Pull the arm on the clutch shaft rearward, then push it forward until there's pressure against the internal clutch springs, that difference is the freeplay.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed this morning that my return spring (or torsion spring, as my dealer says) is also broken. Looks identical to the one posted above. Unfortunately, it's backordered for at least another 3 weeks. Is it ok to continue riding? Or should I stick to my little dual sports in the meantime?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Any long-term updates on this? I just got my kit from the post office and I was wondering whether the kit itself does long term damage to the return springs or if Yamaha just had a bad batch of them.

• Supporting Vendor
On 8/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, Cougar Bait said:

I just noticed this morning that my return spring (or torsion spring, as my dealer says) is also broken. Looks identical to the one posted above. Unfortunately, it's backordered for at least another 3 weeks. Is it ok to continue riding? Or should I stick to my little dual sports in the meantime?

Damn it, I didn't see your post or I would have replied 😞  I assume you got it sorted by now. Where is the spring hole drilled in the clutch arm? Is it in the middle (top to bottom) or almost to the top? Same question to @Liquidape and @MikeCMP... mid hole or top?

• Supporting Vendor
51 minutes ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

Any long-term updates on this? I just got my kit from the post office and I was wondering whether the kit itself does long term damage to the return springs or if Yamaha just had a bad batch of them.

There have been a few reported but it hasn't been a wide spread issue. That been said, we're working on some stainless steel springs just incase there is an issue.

3 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

There have been a few reported but it hasn't been a wide spread issue. That been said, we're working on some stainless steel springs just incase there is an issue.

Is the location of where the spring hole drilled somehow relevant to the issue? Mine has it all the way at the top.

IMG_20211207_145451.thumb.jpg.7da2ca9a140dee3e1f66a057c4771c3f.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
3 minutes ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

Is the location of where the spring hole drilled somehow relevant to the issue? Mine has it all the way at the top.

IMG_20211207_145451.thumb.jpg.7da2ca9a140dee3e1f66a057c4771c3f.jpg

The hole toward the top is a relatively new change, it puts less pressure on the spring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Damn it, I didn't see your post or I would have replied 😞  I assume you got it sorted by now. Where is the spring hole drilled in the clutch arm? Is it in the middle (top to bottom) or almost to the top? Same question to @Liquidape and @MikeCMP... mid hole or top?

I’d have to go look but I got mine right when they came out, so I would assume it is a mid hole.  I have been running without the spring since it broke with no ill effects. 

Thought  of replacing it but getting a new one is a hassle. If you offer one maybe I’ll get it with the gas cap gaskets you are getting made and so,ve two problems at once 😀

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

@Camel ADV the hole is mid on mine. See pic below. The replacement spring has lasted 4K miles about twice as long as the first spring did after installing the clutch arm. So at this point I’m chalking it up to a bad spring.74278E3B-3DBF-4B4F-82FF-89505264C6D8.thumb.jpeg.563a434045711acb84a93349e14904d7.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

So I was trying to be a cheap ass and ordered a longer clutch arm off aliexpress.  Turns out that the clutch arm doesn’t have splines machined into it and is just using friction and a screw to actuate the clutch (see what I mean in pic below).  With a light aluminum part and strong forces, it seems like this would strip and slip pretty quickly. Lesson learned…I’m ordering the real thing from Camel. 

1EDE9A9E-BCAD-48A1-9898-A30BD5C7F1D3.jpeg

Edited by The Rizz
  • Like 1