Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 1 Finger Clutch

Camel ADV

1 hour ago, The Rizz said:

So I was trying to be a cheap ass and ordered a longer clutch arm off aliexpress.  Turns out that the clutch arm doesn’t have splines machined into it and is just using friction and a screw to actuate the clutch (see what I mean in pic below).  With a light aluminum part and strong forces, it seems like this would strip and slip pretty quickly. Lesson learned…I’m ordering the real thing from Camel. 

1EDE9A9E-BCAD-48A1-9898-A30BD5C7F1D3.jpeg

I keep hearing the same story on aliexpress over and over. God speed Corey @Camel ADV

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

We had a bunch of feedback about people scratching their clutch arms up when trying to drop the hook of the OEM  spring into the pocket on the arm. We've designed a replacement spring with no end hook on it so the leg simply rests against the arm. As well as not marking up the arm, it makes install quicker and easier. The new springs have been shipping with the kit for a few months. 

IMG_2460.JPG

• Like 6

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Fitted some more of your stuff yesterday and as always good stuff with a seamless install.  

Thanks for the quality products.

I remember a post from a while back where you had asked what else would we like produced for the T7.  Lately I have read about a lot of guys who dropped their bikes and have tweaked their front ends.  Many are confused why the bars are still off even after realigning their forks.  

The weak stock bar risers are bending and many do not recognize this fact.  Replacing bars and they still have the misalignment.

Have you considered making a replacement for the stock bar risers?  

For some reason I thought I saw a post where you had a prototype in development?  If not I would love to see a quality Canadian product for this issue when I need it.  But lets be honest, we would all buy it even if not needed.

I like the Rally raid design with replaceable bolts for when they bend, and not a 1 piece design like the stock unit.

Again thanks for the quality Canadian products and the new spring works great.

BF712FCB-3185-4390-BBC3-FD9E7F9F3E4E.jpeg

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 2

If you extend the clutch arm, you shorten the travel. Does this not hinder the operation of the clutch??? It might not engage or disengage completely???

This only becomes and issue if you can't move the clutch lever far enough to disengage the clutch.

With the stock arm you notice the actual friction zone of the clutch engaging/disengaging at the lever is very small.  There is a lot of clutch lever movement after the clutch is disengaged.

You are correct if you extended it greatly you would reach the point when the clutch lever hits the bar but the clutch is still dragging.

Camels arm is not that long.

It does a good job increasing the friction zone and thus lowering the pull required without the issue you describe.

• Like 4

On 4/30/2022 at 8:51 AM, Chris1974 said:

If you extend the clutch arm, you shorten the travel. Does this not hinder the operation of the clutch??? It might not engage or disengage completely???

I can confirm that if you extend the clutch arm on the motor you will also lengthen the travel required to engage and disengage the clutch, so you have better control overall. The problem is that at some point you could get too much travel for the 0% to 100% clutch engagement. I don't think this is a problem with the @Camel ADV arm and I like it a lot because it's simple. ... I guess it may depend on what clutch lever you are changing to (if any) because some levers have integrated ratio changes for cable pull.

🙂 

• Supporting Vendor
26 minutes ago, MGG said:

I can confirm that if you extend the clutch arm on the motor you will also lengthen the travel required to engage and disengage the clutch, so you have better control overall. The problem is that at some point you could get too much travel for the 0% to 100% clutch engagement. I don't think this is a problem with the @Camel ADV arm and I like it a lot because it's simple. ... I guess it may depend on what clutch lever you are changing to (if any) because some levers have integrated ratio changes for cable pull.

🙂 

It’s true. In stock form, a bike’s clutch shaft only needs move “Z” degrees to fully engage and disengage the clutch shaft completely. The design of the system offers might allow “Z” x 2 or “Z” x 2.5 degrees (insert whatever numbers here for a specific bike). There is extra capacity for lack of a better word. That extra is what we’re using to increase the friction zone and reduce the amount of pull force required.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2022 at 5:20 PM, Camel ADV said:

We had a bunch of feedback about people scratching their clutch arms up when trying to drop the hook of the OEM  spring into the pocket on the arm. We've designed a replacement spring with no end hook on it so the leg simply rests against the arm. As well as not marking up the arm, it makes install quicker and easier. The new springs have been shipping with the kit for a few months. 

IMG_2460.JPG

@Camel ADV - where ist this spring to find in your shop pls ?

Rgs

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
10 hours ago, Meikel said:

@Camel ADV - where ist this spring to find in your shop pls ?

Rgs

Mike

Hey Mike, they aren't listed separately on the site. When did you purchase your kit?

13 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Hey Mike, they aren't listed separately on the site. When did you purchase your kit?

Hey team 🙂

Ouu that´s back quite a long time - can´t remeber...but evtl. I am going to buy the advanced side stand spring..so maybe there´s  a chance to get this clutch spring as well then??

Rgs

Michael

• Supporting Vendor
On 6/13/2022 at 11:55 PM, Meikel said:

Hey team 🙂

Ouu that´s back quite a long time - can´t remeber...but evtl. I am going to buy the advanced side stand spring..so maybe there´s  a chance to get this clutch spring as well then??

Rgs

Michael

After you order the side stand spring, email me your order # and we'll get a clutch spring added.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Supporting Vendor

You asked for it so here it is (finally)!

The standard T7 1 Finger Clutch was not compatible with the OEM crash bars due to their rear mounting point. We've designed a second version that is short enough to clear the crash bars but long enough to provide an 18% reduction in clutch lever pull effort. The new arms are in stock and ready to ship!

The 1 Finger Clutch Kit we designed for the KTM 790ADV has been our best-selling product! We've been swamped with requests for a similar kit for the wildly popular Yamaha 700 Tenere. We are happy to announce the T7...

IMG_3336.JPG

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

You asked for it so here it is (finally)!

The standard T7 1 Finger Clutch was not compatible with the OEM crash bars due to their rear mounting point. We've designed a second version that is short enough to clear the crash bars but long enough to provide an 18% reduction in clutch lever pull effort. The new arms are in stock and ready to ship!

The 1 Finger Clutch Kit we designed for the KTM 790ADV has been our best-selling product! We've been swamped with requests for a similar kit for the wildly popular Yamaha 700 Tenere. We are happy to announce the T7...

IMG_3336.JPG

Common Camel ADV win. My T7 arrives next week(hopefully). Do you guys have a customer of the month award? I am about to spend more money than I should on your site. 

• Haha 1

• Supporting Vendor

As long as it can be without contacting anything with the OEM Yamaha crash bars/. 18% reduction in clutch pull!

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably one of the first to get one of these for the Yamaha OEM bars. Installed it Friday morning and rode over 800 miles by Monday night, 400 mostly off road where I was slipping and working the clutch quite a bit. Anyway, it was easy to install and adjust, it's a simple system. The clearances are tight but precise. To me the 18% reduction is akin to when I got my EXC450 with a hydraulic clutch, as opposed to my older KTM's. It feels like you got a hydraulic clutch on your Tenere. I have Bark Busters and the stock levers so with two fingers on the lever my pinkie and ring finger are between the lever and grip, that was never a problem. I mean running a correct amount of free play I could still fully disengage the clutch without crushing my fingers. Maybe with short levers a greater reduction in pull would be nice but the first hole option here for the OEM bars was nice. It feels like a perfect factory setup. I had no cramps and that's even after 250 miles of mixed terrain and 11 hours in the saddle. I'm not at all sure I could say the same if I had run it stock. Thanks for making my life better!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor
On 10/4/2022 at 10:02 PM, Husafreak said:

I'm probably one of the first to get one of these for the Yamaha OEM bars. Installed it Friday morning and rode over 800 miles by Monday night, 400 mostly off road where I was slipping and working the clutch quite a bit. Anyway, it was easy to install and adjust, it's a simple system. The clearances are tight but precise. To me the 18% reduction is akin to when I got my EXC450 with a hydraulic clutch, as opposed to my older KTM's. It feels like you got a hydraulic clutch on your Tenere. I have Bark Busters and the stock levers so with two fingers on the lever my pinkie and ring finger are between the lever and grip, that was never a problem. I mean running a correct amount of free play I could still fully disengage the clutch without crushing my fingers. Maybe with short levers a greater reduction in pull would be nice but the first hole option here for the OEM bars was nice. It feels like a perfect factory setup. I had no cramps and that's even after 250 miles of mixed terrain and 11 hours in the saddle. I'm not at all sure I could say the same if I had run it stock. Thanks for making my life better!

Great to hear you're happy with the end result!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I just installed the One Finger clutch for the OEM crash bars option. Had a bit of an adventure with the marking of the angle of the existing clutch pull mechanism, unknown to me I was using a whiteboard marker and when I went to remove the circlip I put my finger over to prevent the circlip from flying off! And that got the mark off. So plenty of installing, removing, moving spline, testing tension etc later, I managed to get it into what seemed like the right position.

Anywho, rode the bike to work and back today in slow crawling traffic and I have to say, it does feel lighter on the pull action. Definitely a fantastic product to help reduce the stiff clutch feeling 😁

However, because of the OEM Crash bar and the limitation of how much reduction is possible given the clearance, I would call the OEM version the "Two Finger Clutch" 😃

Definitely better than 3 finger clutch in stock mode. Though at some point I feel like I should upgrade to other crash bars and get the other version of the 1 Finger clutch. 

• Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• 5 months later...

Hi Cory, 

I’m a repeat customer of all of your T7 products. 
I need to get a One Finger Clutch that works with Yamaha OEM Crashbars..

I keep checking the website and it has been out of stock for quite a while. 
I also commute 1,000 miles a month, so my wrist is getting pretty sore..
Can I get an ETA on production? 
At this point I would be willing to pay for a custom order. 
I refuse to go cheap with AliExpress junk on the world’s greatest motorcycle! 
Thanks in advance. 

Charles Hagoes

On 4/30/2022 at 5:18 AM, williestreet said:

Fitted some more of your stuff yesterday and as always good stuff with a seamless install.  

Thanks for the quality products.

I remember a post from a while back where you had asked what else would we like produced for the T7.  Lately I have read about a lot of guys who dropped their bikes and have tweaked their front ends.  Many are confused why the bars are still off even after realigning their forks.  

The weak stock bar risers are bending and many do not recognize this fact.  Replacing bars and they still have the misalignment.

Have you considered making a replacement for the stock bar risers?  

For some reason I thought I saw a post where you had a prototype in development?  If not I would love to see a quality Canadian product for this issue when I need it.  But lets be honest, we would all buy it even if not needed.

I like the Rally raid design with replaceable bolts for when they bend, and not a 1 piece design like the stock unit.

Again thanks for the quality Canadian products and the new spring works great.

BF712FCB-3185-4390-BBC3-FD9E7F9F3E4E.jpeg

@Camel ADV  any further thought on the bar risers as mentioned in this post?  I would buy one tomorrow.  🙂

• Supporting Vendor
16 hours ago, Shibumi said:

Hi Cory, 

I’m a repeat customer of all of your T7 products. 
I need to get a One Finger Clutch that works with Yamaha OEM Crashbars..

I keep checking the website and it has been out of stock for quite a while. 
I also commute 1,000 miles a month, so my wrist is getting pretty sore..
Can I get an ETA on production? 
At this point I would be willing to pay for a custom order. 
I refuse to go cheap with AliExpress junk on the world’s greatest motorcycle! 
Thanks in advance. 

Charles Hagoes

I appreciate you waiting for us to have stock. We had a few reports of the cable clevises lightly dragging on some bikes' OEM crash bar tubes. The same 1FC kit will work on bike #1 but not bike #2. We've got lots of stock on the kits, but we've stopped selling them until we figure out what is happening. We can do another run with a slightly shorter arm, but that's less than ideal. Looking at making changes to the clevis itself. We've been busy with other projects, and this one has been sitting because of it.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
12 hours ago, roygilbo said:

@Camel ADV  any further thought on the bar risers as mentioned in this post?  I would buy one tomorrow.  🙂

I don't even remember that post! No, nothing in the works for a bar mount. The upcoming project list is long but we're getting through it. I'll have to look at this one again. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

I don't even remember that post! No, nothing in the works for a bar mount. The upcoming project list is long but we're getting through it. I'll have to look at this one again. Thanks for the reminder.

Just did a tally... 19 @Camel ADV products and counting  🙂

• Like 1