Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 hand guards

PDanger

6 minutes ago, wil59 said:

@HucknChuckThe light output is imo not sufficient to be able to drive offroad at night. I only use them to be more visible on the road to other traffic. Putting fog-lights on the bike would cost a lot more. Now the drl-LED's cost  55.88 euro and fit nice on the barkbusters handguards.

Perfect, thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

For off road use, I recomend the Acerbis X -factory

Acerbis X factory link

They are quite hard as barkbusters (iron structure), but cheaper, and you can buy replacements even on aliexpress 

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-29 at 08.49.45 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-29 at 08.49.45.jpeg

Edited by Novorider
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 10:22 AM, PDanger said:

I'm looking for a set of replacement hand guards that can provide a better level of weather protection as well as off-road protection for the control levers, than the OEM ones. Wind & rain protection is a must. It would be good if they could utilise the bar-end weights. I believe that Barkbusters make a set specifically for the Tenere T7, however these are pricey at £130 ish in the UK.   Has anyone experience of other brands?

Just fitted a set of Bark busters no fuss but you will have to fit a couple of washers with the spacer on the throttle side to give clearance for the throttle to work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too bought acerbis but went with the x-factor instead. Larger bars and plastics for more crash coverage. We will see how they do once the snow melts

acerbis-x-factor-handguards.jpg

Tenereman, what kind of guards are those ? I dont care for wrap around guards and the mounts on those look like they are not on the bars where there is little room for some of the brands available

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 3:10 PM, wil59 said:

Ups, this looks to me to be a christmas tree on steroids. But regarding security aspects, you're right 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 11:09 AM, MeefZah said:

I've used Barkbusters on a few other bikes and am pleased with them.  A set held up very well in a 30 mph lowside a few years ago... plastic cover melted through from grinding on the asphalt, but the aluminum backbone was intact and is actually still in use.  Ultimately I think they are worth the money. 

Like someone observed in another Barkbusters thread, the aluminum finish looks kind of rough, but they are durable.  The black ones sold by TT look really good, had I know about those before I ordered my current set I would have opted for those.

No issues with install.  On another thread (that I can't find now) someone was complaining that the left backbone keeps the clutch lever from being rotated down far enough to be comfortable; I did not have this problem but I also don't run my levers angled super far down.  If you do, the BB may not work for you.  I basically run the levers at the same angle as my arms as they drape over the bars.

Barkbusters Storm on 2021 T7, stock bars, Oxford heated grips:

spacer.png

These look great. I see you removed the branding - was that hard to do with this model?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I fitted Barkbusters (BBs),  made specifically for the T7, which I'm generally happy with. However, in comparison to the Acerbis fitted to my CRF 250 L Rally they are twice the price £130 vs £65, offer slightly better weather protection BUT the Acerbis, not bike-specific, were rock solid when fitted BEFORE tightening the mountings,  the BBs  needed to be fully tightened to achieve the same level of solidity.  Both are tight and functional but if I were to fit the same again I would save £65 and buy the Acerbis. 

080DE20A-C770-4F96-B241-C4E0D4BC9635 (1).jpeg

F2CC378D-96C9-416F-AD28-5B29E90D683E (1).jpeg

72AB3F73-651D-4283-9037-EC4171EC2DED.jpeg

8999547E-9ED0-4052-A27B-0AF2B89BC64B.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PDanger said:

I fitted Barkbusters (BBs),  made specifically for the T7, which I'm generally happy with. However, in comparison to the Acerbis fitted to my CRF 250 L Rally they are twice the price £130 vs £65, offer slightly better weather protection BUT the Acerbis, not bike-specific, were rock solid when fitted BEFORE tightening the mountings,  the BBs  needed to be fully tightened to achieve the same level of solidity.  Both are tight and functional but if I were to fit the same again I would save £65 and buy the Acerbis. 

080DE20A-C770-4F96-B241-C4E0D4BC9635 (1).jpeg

F2CC378D-96C9-416F-AD28-5B29E90D683E (1).jpeg

72AB3F73-651D-4283-9037-EC4171EC2DED.jpeg

8999547E-9ED0-4052-A27B-0AF2B89BC64B.jpeg

I have t7 specific bark busters as well, my problem with them is changing bars yields them almost worthless without stock bars I couldn't get them to work with new adaptors even

By the way when I achieve 25 posts (I think?) I'm going to advertise my Tenere T7 Rally on here first - well before eBay or Autotrader. What would be a reasonable price? She has lots of extras and has done about 2,700 miles.

Mine's on the  extreme left. The picture was taken in mid-wales late September 20 at a rally for Rally's  🙂

Tenere Wales Sept 20.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PDanger said:

So the bars that you're swapping are larger diameter?

The length is off on the clamping areas although they are the same diameter 7/8- 1 1/8 

2 hours ago, PDanger said:

By the way when I achieve 25 posts (I think?) I'm going to advertise my Tenere T7 Rally on here first - well before eBay or Autotrader. What would be a reasonable price? She has lots of extras and has done about 2,700 miles.

You didn't like it? Price maybe inflated if lack of availability in your local area and the rarity of rally edition..

I bought Pyramid extensions for cold weather protection.  They integrate nicely with the stock handguards.  They provide more cold weather protection than most aftermarket handguard options.  They install with double sided adhesive.  I used some 3M product instead of what came with the extensions.  The extensions can be removed for the warmer seasons.

For lever protection I installed some cheap folding levers I got off eBay.  Plus the stock bar ends provide some protection just by adding space between contact point and end of lever.  Admittedly, I don't expect stock handguards to survive too many falls.

I'm running Pro Taper Adventure handlebars.  I tapped the ends to receive the stock bar ends.

16194412999955658326322475545773.jpg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, A A Ron said:

I bought Pyramid extensions for cold weather protection.  They integrate nicely with the stock handguards.  They provide more cold weather protection than most aftermarket handguard options.  They install with double sided adhesive.  I used some 3M product instead of what came with the extensions.  The extensions can be removed for the warmer seasons.

For lever protection I installed some cheap folding levers I got off eBay.  Plus the stock bar ends provide some protection just by adding space between contact point and end of lever.  Admittedly, I don't expect stock handguards to survive too many falls.

I'm running Pro Taper Adventure handlebars.  I tapped the ends to receive the stock bar ends.

16194412999955658326322475545773.jpg

You didn't have any cable length issues with those bars? I fitted them up, test rode and switched back to stock because of the bark busters fitment problems but also felt cable length was borderline too tight

Only the front brake hose is a little tight.  I moved both lever mounts a little inward to help compensate.  But it does worry me a bit still.

I'm thinking about relocating the front brake hose fitting where it attaches to the master cylinder.  That would get rid of the awkward angle of the brake hose.  There's a metal tab that currently holds the brake fitting in place.  I could pull the brake fitting off and locate it on the other side of the tab. But not sure if that would cause other issues.  See pic.

And if I had it to do over, I would shorten the bars to stock length.  That would only lose about 5mm each side, but every bit helps.

16194460609305956109805641038866.jpg

Edited by A A Ron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vagrant318 said:

The length is off on the clamping areas although they are the same diameter 7/8- 1 1/8 

You didn't like it? Price maybe inflated if lack of availability in your local area and the rarity of rally edition..

No I like her a lot- but   she's not heavy - she is TOP heavy.  I embarrassed myself recently by dropping her outside of a Yamaha dealer but fortunately only one Barkbuster is scuffed &  a tiny scratch on the crash bars & exhaust mount. I have nerve damage from an old motorcycle injury so that my leg sometimes feels that it is planted on the ground when in fact it's not. The T7 is just too top heavy to catch when she goes. I don't have the same issue with my CRF250L.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn’t find Barkbusters in stock anywhere, so I went with Touratech Defensa handguards and extended spoilers.  They look at least as good as Barkbusters.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:50 AM, Novorider said:

Hi, do they fit well with the original weights on the handlebar? Or you had  to remove them?

How did you fit the  expander in the threaded handlebar?

Thank you very much!

Paolo

Hello!

For off road use, I recomend the Acerbis X -factory

Acerbis X factory link

They are quite hard as barkbusters (iron structure), but cheaper, and you can buy replacements even on aliexpress 

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-29 at 08.49.45 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-29 at 08.49.45.jpeg

On 5/16/2021 at 6:05 AM, PaolinoZ said:

Hello, they fit well )with the original handelbar wieght (adjusts on wires & levers are needed) , but due to the hand guards are heavier than the original , I heard many cases in which other mates have removed the the weight and fittd directly the acerbis handguards.

@vagrant318Have you sorted your fitment issue? I have the T7 specific barkbusters, but about to get a new set of bars- these wont fit the new bars then?

5 hours ago, JayD said:

@vagrant318Have you sorted your fitment issue? I have the T7 specific barkbusters, but about to get a new set of bars- these wont fit the new bars then?

Check the inside thread pattern of the bar end inserts. If they are set up for stock Yamaha bars, that is a different thread pitch/pattern than the usual inserts so you need to make sure the bars are tapped/threaded correctly for T7 inserts. Yamaha has to be different!

Edited by Firebolter

6 hours ago, JayD said:

I switched back to stock bars. After market bars will fit but may need finagling or tap them to fit BB t7 specific like stock. I don't think I'll switch bars until I damage them.

• Thanks 1