Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Touratech Progressive Springs

Bryce19

Has anyone installed the Touratech front/rear progressive springs on their T7?  I’m about 230lbs with gear, I’ve made significant adjustments to the pre-load, compression and rebound with no luck. Just tonight I blew through my suspension and bashed my skid plate. I can’t see spending 2k on a complete new system so I’m hoping springs will work. 

The linkage is already progressive enough on the rear shock, So there is no functional need for progressive springs at the rear, it is only interfering with the leverage ratio. For the fork the ratio is direct, 1 to 1, but progressive springs tend to fall through the softer first part of the stroke, and are not suitable for off road, they tend to be fitted to road bikes.
On the other hand the linear springs have advantages over progressive springs:
A) Linear springs do not go coil bound so they are linear all the way. No matter the preload.
B) Because the springs do not go coil bound, the lifetime of linear springs is longer.
C) Because the springs do not go coil bound, the coating does not crack leaving the wire unprotec ted.
D) Most progressive springs have two distinct springrates. The switching point from soft to harder can be noticeable during riding.
E) The switching point is moving when you add or decrease preload. More preload means the switching point will come in sooner.
F) Progressive spring are in most cases heavier.

i have just ridden a T7 with TT (Hyperpro) springs fitted front and rear, and although the initial first movement was softer than stock, there was a definite wooden feeling when the transition point was reached in the spring rate, which didn't help the feel off road.

F) Progressive spring are in most cases heavier.

Edited by Ktmmitch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being a husky kid 225lbs with gear I installed the rear Touratech spring and was quite happy with the results,  it truly transformed the bike for me,  no more bottoming out, no butt clinch going over dips and whoops, I think some preload washers in the front springs and I would be extremely happy.  Sebti a forum member fitted the Tourtech spring and has written a article about it. HERE 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryce19 said:

So it sounds like progressive isn’t the way to go. So what is the solution?? 

Appropriate capacity springs...just not progressively wound.  Although not race caliber, the stock suspension is surprisingly good.  It just needs to be sprung for your weight.  Then you'll be in business.

I got a rear spring from Rally-Raid as well as some pre-load spacers for the stock front springs.  Pleased and I tend to ride pretty hard.

Close to you...

ral_21_sho_spr-2016330001.jpg

The OEM shock spring fitted to the shock is only 70N/mm spring rate, so for most riders over 65-70kgs(143-154lbs), with no allowance for extra luggage or passenger, it will not give the correct sag settings required for adventure riding, which is 10% static(no rider) & 30% with rider, (20mm & 60mm respectively)...

Edited by ride2little
  • Thanks 1

here's where I got the spring and front preload spacers

Got the stuff in just a few days.  I was amazed (I live in TN, USA.)

Edited by ride2little
  • Thanks 1