Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Jackets

Tommo

Good quality leather is great on road, but I moved away from leather probably 25 years ago to textile. Beauty of modern textiles, comfort, breathability, and weather resistance and temperature. There are so many options now, although not all are equal. There are some very good budget options, due increasing safety legislation. Having owned may textile suits over the years, I’d recommend a known and respected brand, with warranty and although a drop waterproof liner has it’s merits, I prefer the laminated suits, as you don’t need to worry about taking the liner out, or putting it back in (normally on the side of the road, when its just started to rain). Laminated suits don’t tend to soak up the water, so dry very quickly, but if your in a very warm climate, drop liner suits have there advantages, as they tend to be much more breathable, when the waterproof liner is removed. 

On an adventure bike, I just think the textile suits make more sense. 👍  

• Like 2

I gave up leather around 2005, since then I have moved to Textile, As Fredbasset said so many choices with Textile it's a winner.

• Like 2

Quality leather is best for protection, but is very expensive. Been wearing Rukka, BMW and Revit kit since 2000. Textile kit is almost as good as leather and the gore text pro, 3 layer laminated kit is all weather use, without soaking up water, is pretty expensive too, but worth the money imho. You generally get what you pay for.

Edited by Alf Meister
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I LOVE Leather, been wearing as long as I can remember riding...  HOWEVER

new modern synthetics, with CE Armor - buying top quality?   is the business
wicks moisture, dries quickly, doesn't rot  - sure, it aint as sexy as an original Daniese Speed 3 from the 1980s... but?  At my age, I dont need sexy, i need protection

I am very happy with my Klim Badlands Pro.
warm in winter, ventilated in summer, good on road, off road
Crash Tested (by me) - it simply works

Wish I could get another under $1k - but worth every cent 

E025959D-B50C-4D97-8E8E-BB9FE4D2877D.thumb.jpeg.27d5efc1171dcb5ede9bafbc7d52eb1b.jpegCrashed in these Vansons a half dozen  times. Mosport toSummit Point. I would ware  them again tomorrow. (if I lost 30 lbs)

I refer to ballistic nylon suits as one crash wonders.

Edited by gone2seed

Been wareing the “big bird”suit on the street and trails for the last 15 years tho.

Racing leathers don’t make for convenient.610853D8-7CED-4BB4-A743-6918ABCC96C3.thumb.jpeg.a507b1675ceff81082593fc9eb88132f.jpege protection.

Edited by gone2seed
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I am a leather jacket guy... Tried textile and I don't feel protected... Leather jacket for me with jeans or textile trousers. 

I'm now looking at airbag leather jacket since they become more affordable... Don't ride off road.

Aleks 

On 11/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, gone2seed said:

"Crashed in these Vansons a half dozen  times"

I think Vansons are bad luck....

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 11/24/2020 at 1:34 PM, gone2seed said:

Been wareing the “big bird”suit on the street and trails for the last 15 years tho.

Racing leathers don’t make for convenient.610853D8-7CED-4BB4-A743-6918ABCC96C3.thumb.jpeg.a507b1675ceff81082593fc9eb88132f.jpege protection.

Aerostitch for the win. I had my first one for 15 years. Now on my second. When it’s really hot, the 10 year old Motoport Kevlar mesh gets worn. 

18 hours ago, Hibobb said:

I think Vansons are bad luck....

I don’t know? Only broke the collar bone twice and the pelvis once. Never lost an inch of my hide.

Once I gave up on the club racing and stuck to track days; Never crashed on the track again. 

Racing- if you ain’t pushing, you ain’t try’n.

Foggy crashed 3 times in turn 11 at A Laguna WSB event. After the last one he remarked to his crew: “I guess that is as fast as you can go through there!”

Edited by gone2seed

Another vote for textile here.  It is generally lighter and more comfortable especially in hot weather and off road.  If you spend for a Goretex  shell it's  water proof and breathable so you don't have to carry rain gear or a rain liner.  Crash protection is very good.