Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Samm

Sacrificial Exhaust Hanger Build

Samm

Hi Folks,

After a couple drops the exhaust is inching closer and closer to the swingarm. I don’t plan on becoming a better rider fast enough to solve this problem so here’s my mechanical fix (yet to test…).

Mounted.thumb.jpg.00e4329cbb85700ebb1c17c3596fff78.jpg

Like an aluminum derailleur hanger on a mountain bike this will bend/re-bend/break before the steel frame mount and can be easily and cheaply replaced (always have a spare and carry with your tools!). This is the stock exhaust but it would work for aftermarket as well.

Tools needed:

Allen Keys – 4mm, 6mm, 8mm

14mm wrench

Drill bits, taps (maybe), bandsaw/hacksaw, file, sander

Hammer and starter punch

Materials:

2” x 3/16” Aluminum Flat Bar

Rivets 

JB Weld (maybe)

First, remove your can. 6mm allen key for the pipe clamp, 8mm allen key and 14mm wrench for the frame hanger bolt. Drill the head off the "strap" rivet and slide that sucker off.

105466338_DrillingRivet.thumb.jpg.3553146c697f36b714e875e63f992526.jpg

You can't remove the rivet completely unless you drill the hole out bigger, it's sandwiched between two layers of the can. You can push it to the side and install a new rivet to cover the hole or just drop a blob of JB Weld on (sand/clean area first). That's what I did. It's hidden on the wheel side of the can and hopefully the JB can handle the heat, we'll see.

498581956_RivetDrilled.thumb.jpg.6468afe268b3c2654634781b74ed7789.jpg

Next, layout the strap mounting holes on your flat bar. I use a hammer and starter punch before drilling holes. I drilled the two small holes with a 13/64" drill bit and tapped with an M6 x 1.0 tap (welcome to Canada eh, a cultural melting pot where all standards of measurement are accepted). By tapping I can use the existing bolts, if that's not in your wheelhouse find some longer nuts and bolts and through-bolt it! For the large hole any old nut and bolt you've got lying around will do the trick. I found an old M8 to keep things metric.

1730267380_LayoutStrapHoles.thumb.jpg.f09ac7d35b77ab55a91d9e4c8258206d.jpg

With the strap mounted to your newly drilled and tapped flat bar hold them up to the frame mount on the bike and decide how far apart you want your mounting bolts. I ended up with 2 7/8" center-to-center but you do you. I thought the distance looked long enough to allow for some bending if dropped but not so much that I was stressing the bracket under the weight of the pipe (as I mentioned earlier I haven't tested this yet...). Mark and punch your new mounting hole and clean up the design. I cut my bracket using a bandsaw and finished with a belt sander but a hacksaw, file, and some sand paper would do the trick. 

133868564_LayoutCutLines.thumb.jpg.2a6195b3e2718df1da3296e994101987.jpg

Remember, you need two right off the bat - one installed and one on hand to get you home when the first one breaks after too many falls. 

2004588833_LayoutVsCompleteBracket.thumb.jpg.9317e187b3b72db0cc2edd620299d7b8.jpg 

Its not super pretty but as long as I stick to the same hole spacing I can work on the design as I replace them. Mount everything to check fit then mark a hole for the new strap rivet. You can skip this step if you're still prototyping but I went ahead and committed. You can see the JB in the original hole below.

571941782_MarkNewRivetHole.thumb.jpg.58492fc726e68816b5730901d8ebc369.jpg 

If you're set on your new strap position, drill for a new rivet. There are two layers to the can. I drilled just through the first and used a washer to achieve the proper spacing so the rivet didn't bottom out. I see no problem with drilling through both layers and using a longer rivet but maybe increased exposure to fumes/heat will shorten the lifespan of the rivet, who knows, I'm not a doctor...

2082453091_DrillingNewRivetandJBOldHole.thumb.jpg.145fd9c509221bfd48484dfd4aa98f4f.jpg

1412480545_NewRivetWWasher.thumb.jpg.6a9059cb0f26f6a88031daf45a9b312e.jpg

I've decided to repaint the can with some high heat enamel so I'm not setting the rivet just yet - as is it looks like s%#t with the old rub marks. I'll report back once that's done and give an update as to how the new bracket holds up. If anyone else has tried this or if any engineers out there have some tips I'd love to hear from you!

Happy Trails Folks!

1911456441_Mounted2.thumb.jpg.7e93e886a74729a0209d1e415fda91b7.jpg

Edited by Samm
  • Like 8

Samm

Painted and assembled!

1905356794_PaintedPipe.thumb.jpg.851f1bbe63480317a85a621d8f719e71.jpg

Edited by Samm

CoreCass

looks nice and sturdy. tough why would you reposition the bracket ?

also. your bracket spacer is tightend with 1 bold. do you have a bump or something to keep it from rotating on the mount of the bike ?

[edit i might be stopid. if so than just say so]

Edited by CoreCass
[]

Samm
9 minutes ago, CoreCass said:

looks nice and sturdy. tough why would you reposition the bracket ?

also. your bracket spacer is tightend with 1 bold. do you have a bump or something to keep it from rotating on the mount of the bike ?

[edit i might be stopid. if so than just say so]

No bump. The three bolts on the exhaust strap end of the bracket should keep it from sagging or rotating around the single bolt on the frame end...hopefully. 

I'm a little confused with your first question. I slid the strap towards the back of the exhaust to make room for the new sacrificial aluminum bracket.

Matth

Yep i get it. Your bracket being weaker than original and will bend before the hanger does hence being sacrificing. Looks a good job.

still needs exhaust lifting though!

CoreCass
On 10/19/2020 at 1:18 AM, Samm said:

I'm a little confused with your first question. I slid the strap towards the back of the exhaust to make room for the new sacrificial aluminum bracket.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:45 AM, Matth said:

Yep i get it. Your bracket being weaker than original and will bend before the hanger does hence being sacrificing. Looks a good job.

still needs exhaust lifting though!

thanks for explaining. could not find the right words i guess.

might add that i find it more sturdy looking with the bracket a little backward's.  also think its more beautiful in a way. might do this mod as well. [as for 8m..  its not a problem over here across the pond :P]