Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

AXP Racing Xtrem HDPE Skid Plate

norton73

anyone have any experience with this skid plate?

When I'm not riding, I am a whitewater kayak paddler. Modern plastic kayaks are incredably durable, and don't often hang up on rocks, so it has a lot of appeal to me.

Worth the wait to get it from Rocky Mountain ATV?

axp_21_xtr_hdpe_ski_pla_1893200022.jpg

*High density polyethylene plastic 8mm thick. *CNC machined for better quality. *Included linkage protection with full frame coverage. *High resistance to heavy impacts. *Does not generate any vibration. *Hardware and fixation...

@norton73

I have been pleased with mine, and it came in just a couple of days from Rocky Mountain.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, norton73 said:

anyone have any experience with this skid plate?

When I'm not riding, I am a whitewater kayak paddler. Modern plastic kayaks are incredably durable, and don't often hang up on rocks, so it has a lot of appeal to me.

Worth the wait to get it from Rocky Mountain ATV?

axp_21_xtr_hdpe_ski_pla_1893200022.jpg

*High density polyethylene plastic 8mm thick. *CNC machined for better quality. *Included linkage protection with full frame coverage. *High resistance to heavy impacts. *Does not generate any vibration. *Hardware and fixation...

I have beat up my bike up something fierce this season, this skid plate included. I can recommend this product for sure - takes hits well, maintains shape well, deflects nicely off obstacles, and is quieter from getting hit by rocks from your tire than the metal options out there.

• Like 2

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Happy with my AXP, got it from Slaven’s Racing. The shock linkage, water pump and side case protection coverage are better than most. As mentioned, a side benefit is that It does not resonate the engine noise back up to the rider or ping when hit with small stones from the front tire. It is light weight, easy to get on and off for oil changes and withstands being used as a lifting point with a motorcycle jack.

T7 LH Side.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just installed the AXP skid plate I ordered from Slavins Racing. Came well packed. 
It can be installed with the SW Motec center stand installed.  It also clears a Denali Mini Sound bomb horn installed in the stock horn location.  

There are two washers included with it that are not shown in the instructions or the installation video.  They go between the rear support block and the bracket on the bike that the bushings and threaded rod are attached to. 

Skid plate did not come with any adheasive backed foam as shown in the install video. The plate I received was also tight against the water pump housing on the right  and stator cover on the left sides of the bike. I put small rubber grommets at the point of contact to hopefully keep it from rubbing on those areas and to also maybe cause the HDPE to open up a bit under the added pressure/stress

6B9E8513-C0B6-4A7A-8B6B-982DDA04E925.thumb.jpeg.e6097198cc4fd563503767f76e18eac1.jpeg01F8978D-69C5-41BF-89FF-2295C000AD30.thumb.jpeg.beab76f0271158a40e7c89a0d0d31878.jpeg46C01D50-EDAA-407B-813A-6414EA2FB938.thumb.jpeg.39187f6295ec4129eec70338fea972fa.jpegF53F3B51-A54E-4554-BC07-69BD5DC5B728.thumb.jpeg.abc293d8fb92baf43ab6ef49d930267b.jpeg802375A5-6900-4EB8-8C05-03929C19C4A9.thumb.jpeg.fcd32a93104077832e6f286f4659c7cd.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

have this brand on my dirt bike, love plastic skid plates. literally give it hell all the time and it can take a beating. 

If my rally edition bike didn't already have a decent skid plate I would for sure go with this one. 

if anyone in Europe wants to buy the brand new oem rally plate I'll sell it glady and get this instead 🙂

I can leave two  pics of my AXP on T7

Advantages:

Low wieight than others.

Reduce the return of noises from the engine.

Low noise when stones hit it.

Difficult to be dented.

Water pump covered

Axel covered (larger than others) (sorry I don´t know the trasnlation from the spanish "bieleta")

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-28 at 15.53.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-28 at 15.52.30 (1).jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also eyeing the AXP HDPE skid plate for several reasons. A question to those of you who already have one and have ridden off road a bit, do you find the left and right extension plates that cover  the water pump & stator interfere with your boots while braking, shifting or just stand on the pegs? Thanks for your insights - waiting for the snow to melt...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in reply your question.

I don´t have any problem with the brake & shift lever, even despite of my big foots 45.5 Eu size  (11.5 usa)

Almost dialed in. Little heat gun and razor knife makes it go from decent to great. 
Next time I have it off I’ll do a bit for fine tuning. 

DB736EC6-14BA-40C1-9EB2-956BC2CBB6D4.jpeg

00844905-0C0A-4554-88AE-F1462D464E76.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

According to the website from AXP:

CRASH BARS COMPATIBILITIES :

SW-Motech SBL.06.799.10001/B : YES
GIVI TN2145 : YES 
-
 OUTBACK MOTORTEK : YES
- HEED "BASIC" : YES
- HEED "BUNKER" : NO
ADVENTURE SPEC : YES
YAMAHA : YES

CENTER STAND COMPATIBILITIES:

YAMAHA CENTER STAND: Needs a cut in the skid plate to make it compatible
BEQUILLE SW-MOTECH: Compatible

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:27 AM, mpatch said:

Almost dialed in. Little heat gun and razor knife makes it go from decent to great. 
Next time I have it off I’ll do a bit for fine tuning. 

DB736EC6-14BA-40C1-9EB2-956BC2CBB6D4.jpeg

00844905-0C0A-4554-88AE-F1462D464E76.jpeg

Just installed mine yesterday.  Same pressure points on water pump and on stator cover.  So using a heat gun works well to bend or cut that plastic to fit?  I fitted a couple pieces of some adhesive backed rubber to the AXP but who knows how long that’ll last.  

looks solid mounted though and I’m happy with the purchase.  

On 5/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, dashredder said:

Just installed mine yesterday.  Same pressure points on water pump and on stator cover.  So using a heat gun works well to bend or cut that plastic to fit?  I fitted a couple pieces of some adhesive backed rubber to the AXP but who knows how long that’ll last.  

looks solid mounted though and I’m happy with the purchase.  

Where did you order from? Can't find it in stock anywhere...

18 hours ago, dashredder said:

Moto Machines.  Had to wait about 3 weeks on back order.  

For the skid plate? I got my Hepco & Becker centerstand from them but I don't see that they sell AXP...

As an aside, is your centerstand a little "sticky"? Mine doesn't really spring back up completely on its own...maybe I overtightened something?

I got the AXP from Rocky Mountain ATV.  

The stand is smooth all the way up and down. I applied a small amount of marine grease to the fittings where the stand mounts to the brackets and a small amount between the springs.  Did you grease anything?  I tightened it pretty well so perhaps that may help if not.  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have the AXP Racing bash plate on my Honda CRF300L and love it.  I think it probably offers more protection than an aluminum bash plate.  I worked in an art foundry for years and we cast some aluminum. I hated working with it. I hated welding it. I hated grinding it. It doesn't bend worth a damn.  That being said, I have the aluminum bash plate from Touratech on my Tenere and also my BMW F750GS and like it because the bends are smooth, not sharp angles, which I think reduces the strength.  The AXP does not reflect the sound and I think it will bounce back from most blows. Another thing I learned about all bash plates is to take them off if you are letting someone else change your oil or doing service that requires removal of the bash plate.  I got my bike back from a service where there was a port to remove the oil drain plug in the plate but they still removed the plate and then cross threaded one of the bolts when putting it back on.  I took it to a different shop and they tried to drill out the remainder of the bolt after they broke it off trying to remove it.  So now I just remove the bash plate before taking it into a shop.