Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mouse Proofing

rich

Hey chaps,

anyone ever had trouble with mice/voles getting in their bikes and eating all sorts of stuff? I have; they pretty much totaled an old transalp of mine... 

if so... any decent tips out there as how to keep the little fuckers away please??

thanks

Rich

Bounce fabric softener sheets (or similar). Keeps them away, and keeps you bike smelling fresh!😀 I use them in my vintage car, as well as some other vehicles I have stored while overseas and never had a problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

that's magic darts fella.... thank you... i knew people out there would have an answer, given you're in Alberta i guess your toys get tucked away for a few months at a time and that's when they become 'beds'... i picked up a shoulder injury that lasted ages... went back to the transalp after the winter, throttle stuck open on the approach to fave roundabout... survived...  tried everything... left it in the shed due to lack of funds.... eventually took it to a proper mechanic who took her apart and found a massive voles nest... they'd eaten the entire fuel injection system and because the throttle was left open, they'd pissed and shat everywhere it counted too... loved that bike... will be loving the T7 even more when she rocks up next week ... off to buy some bounce sheets... cheapest add-on so far! 🙂

• Like 1

Over on my MT07 forum it happens to someone almost every year. They go out in spring and damn, a freaking mouse chewed up the wiring over winter and bike won't start.

I have mouse traps in my garage just in case. Just gotta keep the dogs out. 

The little buggers removed the fabric softener around the pipes in out RV so we are heading back today with small Dixie cups filled with Cloves and Cotton balls soaked in Clove essential oils. 

1 hour ago, Limey said:

The little buggers removed the fabric softener around the pipes in out RV so we are heading back today with small Dixie cups filled with Cloves and Cotton balls soaked in Clove essential oils. 

does clove oil chase them off??

7 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

does clove oil chase them off??

I bloody hope so. The wife has done a ton of research and the dryer sheets don’t seam to work that great but clove and peppermint seams to be the tools that work.

22 minutes ago, Oldhorse said:

Use bucket traps.

Why? You want them DEAD!

Why? So they can't BREED!

Don't make me repeat again...lol!

Going back to the RV tomorrow  with 2 buckets and some antifreeze.

Don't use rat bait or decon because you want them DEAD in a bucket for disposal and not rotting and stinking up every nook and cranny in you cars and buildings when they hide to die.

I'd you have rats use a garbage can size bucket.

We learned the hard way so you don't have to.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 3/16" square galavanized wire mesh, trimmed to fit the air intake snorkel on EVERYDAMNED thing I own. Contact cement (weather strip cement is black, hides better) 

40 years of success. 

And yes, water bucket traps too. 

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil in a bowl worked in our motorhome, never seen any sign of one after doing that.

Irish spring soap seems to keep them away too.  Just cut slivers off the bar and leave them all over the place.  leaving chocolate exlax for them also works, crap themselves to death!