Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Factory grease of rear linkage?

Moto

I read online that the rear linkage does NOT come well-greased from the factory, and that owners should take the links apart and grease them right away. Can anyone verify this?

Its been discussed before . Some have more grease than others. My two T7 s have been absolutely fine however i did put more in there. Marine waterproof grease.

• Like 1

Yep. Steering stem bearings as well. Probably adequate grease for a year or so if you don't play in the mud/river crossings, but never hurts to add more.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

It is a sad thing that this forum has twenty different topics about the same issue and the important ones get lost.

Mine had very little grease in them.

• Like 2

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

• 10 months later...

I know this is all over the place but my friend got a flat the other day, axle was bone dry. Today we pulled both wheels and linkage his had none and mine did have a little. But yeah, this is real. 

they dont grease the axle.  the axle is not a bearing.  nor are the bolts in the linkage.  yes its better to grease them just so they dont corrode but no need for all this alarm that bolts are not greased.  most of the linkage has solid lube.

• Like 1

Thanks this is good info. I saw photos of destroyed linkage elsewhere. I was always taught thin layers on axles. What about the bearing races in the linkage, they must do better with grease?  I am new to bigger bikes and my knowledge goes about as far as being able to do top ends on my 300 two strokes. The manual that comes with the bike is horrible compared to other Austrian brands. It appears to be  written on forest service toilet paper. 

I am going to pull the axles , go thru the linkage, etc this winter but I see no urgency to do it until then....been riding all summer as it came.  Probably put a light film on the linage bearings but Ive done solid lube ones before--you cant really even get any in...there are no voids.  I cant recall if the T7 swing arm has solid lube bearings or not.  In my experience that is usually the most neglected on bikes I come across & the pivots become impossible to remove

• 2 months later...

As I mentioned last year only the lower shock mount has solid grease.

I had mine apart last week for the second time.  I was questioning my comments last year that only one bearing used solid grease.  I took extra time this year and confirmed all bearings in the linkage and swingarm pivot are caged needle bearings.  Only the lower shock mount uses solid grease.  

All swingarm and linkage bearings were in new condition, but I expected this because my bike was taken apart as soon as I got it home from dealer and greased before riding it.

The lower shock mount bearing with the solid grease was showing some loss of grease.  No unexpected, as this is usually the first bearing to need replacing.  Greased everything up and will need to order a spare lower shock bearing to have on the shelf.

• Like 1