Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Camel Toe Kick-Stand

Camel ADV

@Camel ADV   There must be a simple and accurate method in determining the length you need by the angle created when the side stand is attached to the bike and extended to its fullest.  If yes then a given range of length of side stand should be able to be predicated as to being safe (enough weight transfer to ground level, etc) for the 3 type of scenarios you have presented.  With the 1 finger clutch you give options because you can - if I am not happy with the factory side stand I just need that range information and I can decide pretty quickly which length would be better by trying out different angles with a friend taking off the weight of the bike and then measuring what length I needed.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Cheers

On 12/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, Camel ADV said:

Kind of all over the map with the lowering amounts.

If you just lower the rear, the sidestand change is half that amount. -20mm links, the sidestand only needs to be -10mm to match. If you do both @ -20mm then the sidestand needs to be that amount... well a little less and suspension SAG needs to be accounted for.

Just with the handful of replies here, we're anywhere from -10mm to -38mm. We can't have 6 different lengths of stands, it's just not feasible. Three would be ideal: Standard, Longer and Shorter.

Happy New year !

... So then just make all the possibilities ... you make the shortest one and then add shoes for the rest ... easy enough ?

... since the stem is a tube it would be easy to weld a nut on the inside and make different size shoes to suite all the flavors ... And on top of it you would have more material to work with to align the angle of the toe so it matches the ground level

Now tell me that this is the right way forward and to thank me for such a useful comment you decide to grace me with an additional rebate ! ... 😄 ... it would be nice matching my high fender and bubble head fix I have at the moment.

On top of it it would be even closer to a camel toe, and to be honest I do not mind a larger shoe when on softer terrain.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2021 at 8:32 AM, MGG said:

Happy New year !

... So then just make all the possibilities ... you make the shortest one and then add shoes for the rest ... easy enough ?

... since the stem is a tube it would be easy to weld a nut on the inside and make different size shoes to suite all the flavors ... And on top of it you would have more material to work with to align the angle of the toe so it matches the ground level

Now tell me that this is the right way forward and to thank me for such a useful comment you decide to grace me with an additional rebate ! ... 😄 ... it would be nice matching my high fender and bubble head fix I have at the moment.

On top of it it would be even closer to a camel toe, and to be honest I do not mind a larger shoe when on softer terrain.

I really like these ideas of stands with differing feet to adjust the length. I hope Cory likes them too.

I dropped my bike for the first time on Friday, parked on the side of a dirt road with a bit of camber. Bike sat alright, but when I went to get on it, the suspension compressed enough that I couldn't get the stand up, and when I leaned the bike to the right, my foot slipped in the dirt and we both went down.

Hope Cory comes out with something soon. Kinda embarrassing to crash sitting still.

Edited by norton73
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, norton73 said:

I really like these ideas of stands with differing feet to adjust the length. I hope Cory likes them too.

I dropped my bike for the first time on Friday, parked on the side of a dirt road with a bit of camber. Bike sat alright, but when I went to get on it, the suspension compressed enough that I couldn't get the stand up, and when I leaned the bike to the right, my foot slipped in the dirt and we both went down.

Hope Cory comes out with something soon. Kinda embarrassing to crash sitting still.

Bah I’ve done worse. When I first got my S10 I forgot to put the kickstand down in my driveway and dropped it 😀

Just was t paying attention.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cory, how much longer are you planning to make the long version? Have you decided yet? Once I did my springs (F &R), the bike sits taller in the stance and leans at a little more angle on the stand than it did. With the bike level and kick stand down now, I have 2.8 inches from the floor to the bottom of the stock foot. Seems a little greater than it was?

Edited by Firebolter

• Supporting Vendor
On 1/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, Firebolter said:

Cory, how much longer are you planning to make the long version? Have you decided yet? Once I did my springs (F &R), the bike sits taller in the stance and leans at a little more angle on the stand than it did. With the bike level and kick stand down now, I have 2.8 inches from the floor to the bottom of the stock foot. Seems a little greater than it was?

We're doing -25mm, stock and plus +25mm. We'll tweak the lengths moving forward if it's needed.

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Hi @Camel ADV!

On your website it says: Each side stand is powder-coated to ensure durability and a great look.

I don't care about the color, as long as it is all black, how about you?

Another vote for adjustable....

I wouldn't mind the look of the threaded rod. Who will notice when its covered in mud!

@Camel ADV hoping these are going up for sale soon, also hoping you didn’t ship the parts for it with UPS 😀

on a serious note, having. It taken the side stand apart, how strong is the base the side stand is attached to? Is that just he aluminum plate that the pegs are on or is there a steel plate or other reinforcement?

I only ask bc I have picot turned my t7 on the stock stand, I noticed the stand flexed, and it made me nervous 😬

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
8 hours ago, Ichnusa said:

Hi @Camel ADV!

On your website it says: Each side stand is powder-coated to ensure durability and a great look.

I don't care about the color, as long as it is all black, how about you?

2036701322-43Henry_Ford.jpg

Yup, they will all be black.

• Like 3

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, Offcamber said:

Another vote for adjustable....

I wouldn't mind the look of the threaded rod. Who will notice when its covered in mud!

I'm sure someone will come out with a threaded rod option, it just won't be us 😉

5 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

@Camel ADV hoping these are going up for sale soon, also hoping you didn’t ship the parts for it with UPS 😀

on a serious note, having. It taken the side stand apart, how strong is the base the side stand is attached to? Is that just he aluminum plate that the pegs are on or is there a steel plate or other reinforcement?

I only ask bc I have picot turned my t7 on the stock stand, I noticed the stand flexed, and it made me nervous 😬

Mike

The sidestand base is a steel plate about 12-13mm thick, it's pretty beefy. With the Camel Toe installed, the base isn't  flexing much while doing a pivot turn on it.

I paid 50% more through FedEx to get the springs sent, specifically so they weren't coming with UPS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How long before these are going to be available? Trying to decide if I should find a local guy to shorten my existing stand.

@Camel ADV  Its been like a week since I bugged you about when the side stand would be available, do you have an update? 

Just anxious to get everything on my bike 🙂

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
46 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

@Camel ADV  Its been like a week since I bugged you about when the side stand would be available, do you have an update? 

Just anxious to get everything on my bike 🙂

Mike

The lowered side stands have been done and sitting here for a month but we were waiting on springs. The first batch of springs were wound wrong so they got sent back. Fedex literally just dropped off the new springs five minutes ago.

The lowered units will be in the site tomorrow. We'll start welding the standard length stuff tomorrow or Monday and should have them back from powder coating Wednesday or Thursday.

What length side stand were you looking for?

IMG_0086.JPG

• Like 2

I wanted a regular sized one, have not lowered the bike or anything. 

Yeah I was curious what was going on you had said you had the springs fedexed over so i figured it would be any day. You cannot catch a break with this stuff it seems, ups, wrong springs...

Glad they will be getting made up soon, bigger foot and stronger side stand is a win-win for me.

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
26 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

Yeah I was curious what was going on you had said you had the springs fedexed over so i figured it would be any day. You cannot catch a break with this stuff it seems, ups, wrong springs...

It's the nature of the beast. We have great suppliers but every once in awhile they fall on their heads... to be fair, so do we from time to time. Anyway, they are here and they are right this time.

• Like 2

Thanks Corey ... I am glad to know the kisckstands are in stock ... My order is placed.

... I do hope I get two extra big Camel stickers 🙂  ... every bit of publicity helps and doing it for a fellow Canadian is a great honor.

• Like 1

I got the email last night that the stands were available,  ordered up promptly.  Thanks, Cory.

• Like 1

very nice. I've been dying for a bigger kick stand since I did the rally shock conversion the bike leans so far over now haha. can't wait to get one!

• Like 1

Ordered! I have a lowered set of shock and fork springs in the works and knew I needed a lowered side stand. This one looks like the best choice out there. 

• Like 2

Looks great. Other thing I have noticed with all the Camel products I have ordered is how they are packed pretty intelligently. My bobble head had everything in one bag, buf the bolts were isolated from the other parts by a thermal melted " wall" forming a separate compartment. Saved seperate bags and was clever to boot. 

Hopefully that is easy to install! 

Mike 

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

I've just added more stock to the site. Be aware that the tin side stand safety switch guard can't be used with the included heavy duty spring. I miscalculated when I was trying to make the spring as strong as possible in the available space. The side stand switch on my bike got smacked off during the second ride so it and the guard were removed. I completely forgot about them when I was measuring for the new spring. There are new springs in the works, I expect 4-5 weeks to get them. 

The current spring will work if you're OK not using the guard (which honestly does very little) or you have deleted your switch. 

FYI, the switch wires do not need to be cut to bypass it. You can simply remove the switch and ziptie it in a safer spot. This way, it can always be reinstalled later.

• Like 2