Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Camel Toe Kick-Stand

Camel ADV

Mine came today. Nicely made! I ordered in anticipation of having some suspension work done to lower the bike some. Great timing, since I took the forks in today and came home to find the side stand on the porch. 

Question on the new springs. If I don’t remove the switch, will we get a chance to get the new ones? I can either remove the guard or switch temporarily in the meantime.

This is a solid piece of work!

• Like 1

Mine appears to have disappeared into the UPS blackhole. Shipped on the 9th, UPS said it would be delivered on Tuesday, the 16th. Ever since Monday, tracking says check back tomorrow for updates.

I'm late to the party (been in my winter moratorium for looking at moto stuff), but my vote for a shorter side stand would have been for 35mm lowering.  This matches up with the Tractive -35mm shocks and fork cartridges available for the T7.  

I have my bike set at -18mm front and rear (to match the OEM lowering link), but I need more and would prefer the Tractive solution.  If I do go that route, I'll put the stock lowering link back in and slide the fork tubes back down to the stock position (for exactly 35mm lower, which would be spot-on for me).  The side stand issue was one thing holding me back; the high cost of Tractive (especially here in the US) is another.  

Side note:  At 18mm, I feel the stock stand length works fine for a level surface.  If stopped on the right side of a road with a significant crown it gets sketchy.  I'm sure your -25mm stand would work better.  

• Supporting Vendor
On 2/16/2021 at 7:23 PM, wncrider said:

Mine came today. Nicely made! I ordered in anticipation of having some suspension work done to lower the bike some. Great timing, since I took the forks in today and came home to find the side stand on the porch. 

Question on the new springs. If I don’t remove the switch, will we get a chance to get the new ones? I can either remove the guard or switch temporarily in the meantime.

This is a solid piece of work!

The switch is fine, just the guard needs to be removed until the new springs arrive.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• Camel ADV changed the title to T7 Camel Toe Kick-Stand
7 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

The switch is fine, just the guard needs to be removed until the new springs arrive.

Think of the bright side, the massive weight savings of dropping off that little tin guard 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

Think of the bright side, the massive weight savings of dropping off that little tin guard 🙂

😄 I’m not as fanatical about weight savings as a lot of folks! The T7 feels positively small compared to my farkled out S10!

Cory, thanks for the reply! It looks like a great piece and I’ll be installing it today or tomorrow!

Just now, wncrider said:

😄 I’m not as fanatical about weight savings as a lot of folks! The T7 feels positively small compared to my farkled out S10!

Cory, thanks for the reply! It looks like a great piece and I’ll be installing it today or tomorrow!

Yeah I was kidding as well, i saw some guy on ADV rider replace the tail light nuts with aluminum ones and drill all the washers and stuff like that. At least it's cheaper than buying all those titanium bolts for your bike 🙂

Mine should be arriving today looking forward to getting it on the bike, the oem side stand flexes a bit too much for me doing a pivot with the bike.  only a matter of time till i break it

MikeCMP - back in my hard core backpacking days, we used to joke about guys that drilled holes into toothbrushes, etc. to lighten then. Became an inside joke in my group - “drilled for lightness!” 😄

Just now, wncrider said:

MikeCMP - back in my hard core backpacking days, we used to joke about guys that drilled holes into toothbrushes, etc. to lighten then. Became an inside joke in my group - “drilled for lightness!” 😄

People still do that, now they cut off part of the handle and things like that.

My bike carries the weight so I don't have to. Adding extra is bad but going overboard with the weight reduction isn't great either. 

My dirt bike is heavy for a dirt bike, but its reliable, my T7 is heavy for a dirt bike, and is reliable too 🙂

Hopefully Cory doesn't get failures from people drilling holes in his sidestands 🙂

Got it installed.  Bypassed my side stand switch, the camel side stand in nice and strong, like it already and no flex.

006F4B39-5A61-4950-9212-A3C8E481F73C.thumb.jpeg.cd5698a95a4c160c40fb41b905a07e74.jpeg

• Like 3

My stand arrived today. What a substantial piece of metal art!  Hoping to find a little time this week to install it.

Off to watch the install video...

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 1:57 PM, norton73 said:

But did you weigh the two stands before you installed it?

😉

Got mine installed today, only non-issue was I had to remove my AXP skid plate to get to the bolts in the back. Might not be an issue for other skid plates or bikes that have not been lowered. Took about 30 minutes, including removing, cleaning the inside, and reinstalling the skid plate.

You're not gonna save any weight however;

spacer.png

spacer.png

But, damn, this thing is sturdy!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, norton73 said:

Got mine installed today, only non-issue was I had to remove my AXP skid plate to get to the bolts in the back. Might not be an issue for other skid plates or bikes that have not been lowered. Took about 30 minutes, including removing, cleaning the inside, and reinstalling the skid plate.

You're not gonna save any weight however;

spacer.png

spacer.png

But, damn, this thing is sturdy!

I was going to ask you if you weighed it 😀

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:35 AM, Camel ADV said:

I’ll wait for the new spring before ordering 

any lead time Cory?

• Supporting Vendor
21 minutes ago, Insane rider said:

I’ll wait for the new spring before ordering 

any lead time Cory?

I don't have an ETA at the moment. I'm guessing 4 weeks.

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

I prefer to keep the kickstand switch intact, so I just re-used the stock spring for the time being. It sucks just like it did on the stock stand, but at least it enabled me to install the new stand with the switch and the guard. I agree that the guard isn't going to prevent switch damage if you drop the bike on a huge rock, but it does protect the switch against gravel being thrown against it. The switch without the guard is just asking to be broken, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

One of the first things I remove from almost every bike I have ever owned is those damn side stand safety switches. I have yet had one "save" me but have had them short out, get broken etc. causing a ride to be impacted! Now if I can just get my stand from Canada! It hasn't crossed the border yet, stuck in Winnipeg!

• Like 2

I was going to remove the switch shield and install the side stand today but had a bit of a issue with the plans. I know a lot of you don't use a center stand but I had the dealer install the OEM Yamaha one before I picked it up. There is no way to get the top 10 mm hex bolt out of the side stand switch with any of the three 10 mm tools I have. The bracket for center stand prevents getting into the bolt straight and far enough in to keep from buggering up the bolt with slippage. So I am faced with removing the skid plate (no big deal) and removing or loosening the left side center stand bracket to get clearance (potentially a very big deal).

I would not normally be scared of this but the tech that put my bike together said it was the hardest spring to install he ever had to do and warned me I would need help to get it on if I ever removed it! Hopefully I can remove the end bolts and loosen the others and rotate the bracket up or down for clearance without the spring on the other side letting go! 

I really need the shorter side stand installed. I test rode my new 1" lower suspension yesterday and it was great but the two times I parked required some thought to be sure the side stand angle was sufficient to keep the bike upright! 

8 minutes ago, wncrider said:

I was going to remove the switch shield and install the side stand today but had a bit of a issue with the plans. I know a lot of you don't use a center stand but I had the dealer install the OEM Yamaha one before I picked it up. There is no way to get the top 10 mm hex bolt out of the side stand switch with any of the three 10 mm tools I have. The bracket for center stand prevents getting into the bolt straight and far enough in to keep from buggering up the bolt with slippage. So I am faced with removing the skid plate (no big deal) and removing or loosening the left side center stand bracket to get clearance (potentially a very big deal).

I would not normally be scared of this but the tech that put my bike together said it was the hardest spring to install he ever had to do and warned me I would need help to get it on if I ever removed it! Hopefully I can remove the end bolts and loosen the others and rotate the bracket up or down for clearance without the spring on the other side letting go! 

I really need the shorter side stand installed. I test rode my new 1" lower suspension yesterday and it was great but the two times I parked required some thought to be sure the side stand angle was sufficient to keep the bike upright! 

If you have a set of vice grips the spring is not that hard to install. I did not think it was all that hard 🙂

I had to remove the linkage bolt to get my 10mm tool out. I put a ratcheting wrench on my tool like Cory showed. The problem was the tool I used was long and hit the linkage, and my wrench was not a reversible one 🙂

I took the linkage bolt out to move it out of the way and was good to go, it was just funny that I was really stuck there as i had no way to reverse what I was doing at that point 🙂

Mike

Wear your safety glasses.  And watch that your fingers aren't in the way.  Seriously.

1 hour ago, MikeCMP said:

If you have a set of vice grips the spring is not that hard to install. I did not think it was all that hard 🙂

I had to remove the linkage bolt to get my 10mm tool out. I put a ratcheting wrench on my tool like Cory showed. The problem was the tool I used was long and hit the linkage, and my wrench was not a reversible one 🙂

I took the linkage bolt out to move it out of the way and was good to go, it was just funny that I was really stuck there as i had no way to reverse what I was doing at that point 🙂

Mike

Mike - you got further than me! I couldn’t get the 10 mm in! 😄

I assume the referenced video is in their web site. I’ll check it out. I’m hoping loosening the left side bracket will let me jiggle things around enough but if not, as Landshark says, I’ll be careful!

• Haha 1

I didn't try this, but it would seem possible to leave those two allen head bolts installed and just remove the sidestand switch bolt and sidestand bolt (and nut), and dropping the sidestand straight down. If that would work, you'd have to then reuse your old spring until Corey gets the new springs that are compatible with the sidestand switch cover. 

The switch cover is bendable if you need more room to fiddle with the rest. 

Edited by BLZ2DWL