Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Camel Toe Kick-Stand

Camel ADV

BLZ2DWL - I thought at first you were wrong but you might have a point! In looking at the side stand and the video (the video give me a better view than laying on my back in the garage! 😀), it might just work. If the guard can be bent just a bit, the side stand could drop out with both the hex bolts in.

Worth a try! At this point, I have no options other than riding to borrow a bike lift or laying the bike over on its side to partially remove the center stand. Can't vary well loosen the center stand to remove the side stand and leave nothing holding up the bike! 

• Like 1

Just be careful to line up the tab on the switch with the hole in the sidestand. Thats probably going to be the hardest part with this technique. Otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Remove spring, remove bolt holding on switch, remove nut on front of stand, remove bolt from rear of stand, wiggle stand out. 

I’ll try this later, thanks for the suggestion. Dealing with the lack of a lift and a minor mishap with the bike while doing this in the garage, got me working on a setup to use my joists and tie down straps to rig a suspension to hold the bike up as a safety backup system. Better than it falling over on me! 😳

For the spring on the side stand, extend it and start sliding pennies into the opened gaps all the way up.  Then collapse it and it will stay extended and be easy to remove. 

Edited by Gun Pup

I installed mine yesterday. I dropped the skid plate to make it easier.

On the rear 10mm bolt, I used a 10mm Allen socket with a 10mm box end for the rear bolt as the shock linkage (as mentioned above) wouldn't allow my ratchet to connect to the socket and fit in thee space, so I did the same thing as Cory with the box wrench over the 10mm allen. I then took a rubber mallet (not a hammer) and whacked the box wrench to break the bolt loose then got it out easily by hand the rest of the way.

On the front, there was just enough room to get the socket with the ratchet in, so was easier. added some fresh Red-Loctite and RE-INSTALLED them by hand and ran them in with the socket and box wrench until snug then used the rubber mallet again to get some torque on those bolts.

The spring wasn't all that tuff to install. I used a spring puller and got it on easily. Remember to pull the spring  on with the stand up and not down! The stock spring was UBER easy to remove!

I rolled my bike into a front wheel chalk then used a swing arm stand/lift to hold the bike level and captured while I worked on it.

Oh yeah, if you do use a mallet to "whack" a wrench, do not use the ratcheting box wrench for that! That ratcheting system in those box wrenches are not designed for that kind of force and you can break them. I used my old school Sears solid box wrench's for "HAMMER" DUTY. You can't  destroy them tools from the 60's!

Edited by Firebolter

Well, I finally got mine on. Removing the side stand switch by bending up the tin protection did not work. The rectangular connection at the top prevents it from coming through. So after multiple hours trying to avoid removing the OEM center stand, I gave up and took it off and loosened the left side bracket to make room for the 10 mm allen socket. 

And was done is less than 2o minutes! Should have just done it to start with. 😳

Side stand installation went pretty good. The 10 mm Allen bolts came off without too much effort and while reinstallation was a little fiddlely for a ham-fisted mechanic like me, it was not too bad. Pleased with it, although I am currently using the stock spring. When the replacement springs get in, I will put that on but meantime, I can use the bike!

And while the center stand is off, I will be taking it to a local fabrication shop to shorten it an inch for my new shortened suspension. It would sort of work in the garage but in the real world, no way. 

39 minutes ago, wncrider said:

Well, I finally got mine on. Removing the side stand switch by bending up the tin protection did not work. The rectangular connection at the top prevents it from coming through. So after multiple hours trying to avoid removing the OEM center stand, I gave up and took it off and loosened the left side bracket to make room for the 10 mm allen socket. 

And was done is less than 2o minutes! Should have just done it to start with. 😳

Side stand installation went pretty good. The 10 mm Allen bolts came off without too much effort and while reinstallation was a little fiddlely for a ham-fisted mechanic like me, it was not too bad. Pleased with it, although I am currently using the stock spring. When the replacement springs get in, I will put that on but meantime, I can use the bike!

And while the center stand is off, I will be taking it to a local fabrication shop to shorten it an inch for my new shortened suspension. It would sort of work in the garage but in the real world, no way. 

You said the switch connection prevented its removal, but did the switch need to be removed in order to drop the stock stand and replace it? Could you have replaced the stand and maintained the switch using this process?

2 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

You said the switch connection prevented its removal, but did the switch need to be removed in order to drop the stock stand and replace it? Could you have replaced the stand and maintained the switch using this process?

Short answer, no. I tried bending the metal switch guard to the point the switch should have come out but closer inspection showed there was not enough gap for the top part of the switch to come through. 

I suppose you might have been able to fit a wrench in between the switch and side stand bracket but it was too tight for my skills. Turns out, removing the center stand was much easier. After rigging a strap to the floor joist to keep the bike upright! 

20 hours ago, David Adams said:

Can anyone give a review on this product ? 
cheers 

I thought I had already - It's a lot more sturdy than the stock, which flexed on me, the larger foot is nice, and I thought it was pretty easy to install. 

Not too much else to say, its typical high-quality Camel gear, high quality, it's a kickstand 🙂 

Mike

I agree with MikeCMP. I got the shorter version and it’s stout! The bigger foot will be handy in soft conditions. I do not worry about climbing on the peg to mount up now.

Installation would have been easy if I had just taken off the OEM center stand to start with instead of trying to avoid it! 😒

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Vendor

If you've been waiting for the new spring before ordering your sidestand, today is your lucky day! They are here and are ready to ship!

IMG_0360.JPG

• Like 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 3/9/2021 at 1:01 PM, David Adams said:

Can anyone give a review on this product ? 
cheers 

Yep. Badass kickstand! 

image.jpg

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • Supporting Vendor

Finally, we have a bunch of low Camel Toe side stands in stock! The guys in the shop finished welding them Wednesday night and the powder coater did them all first thing this morning. I know some of you have been waiting quite awhile for these. Thanks for your patience!

IMG_1513.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So I have the OEM center stand.  Can't get access to the 10mm allen bolts. I hope I don't have to remove the center stand to install the Camel sidestand! ugh

10 hours ago, kainic said:

So I have the OEM center stand.  Can't get access to the 10mm allen bolts. I hope I don't have to remove the center stand to install the Camel sidestand! ugh

I don't think you need to remove the center stand.  Installing the Camel side stand is fairly straight forward.  Let us know if you must remove it though.  

• 2 months later...

Any tips for removing the red-loctited allen bolts?

I have the right socket and just awaiting a 12" breaker bar I've ordered to see if I can get them to budge.

Considering laying the bike flat on the ground to see if I can get a better angle to pry them loose.

• Supporting Vendor
On 7/13/2022 at 9:57 AM, KidX said:

Any tips for removing the red-loctited allen bolts?

I have the right socket and just awaiting a 12" breaker bar I've ordered to see if I can get them to budge.

Considering laying the bike flat on the ground to see if I can get a better angle to pry them loose.

The Loctite is no joke! A bit of heat will help get things moving but be careful not to melt any of the plastic bits near the side stand.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 4:45 PM, kainic said:

A stuby hex key did the job!

20220501_171353.jpg

Thank you so much for this tip! I have the OEM centerstand as well. I wasn't able to get the rear bolt off because it didn't have the clearance. I just had to finagle the pieces in order to get my 13mm wrench in there to get the last bolt off to remove the OEM stand.

As for the red-loctite bolts, I used my stubby allen and a sledgehamer.

Question: Without the spring, my stand is quite wobbly. Did I not torque the bolts enough? I should have checked how the OEM stand was before I removed it. With the spring it is absolutely solid.

356633605_10167557220965567_6033535034945809703_n.jpg

Edited by MotoBum

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, MotoBum said:

Thank you so much for this tip! I have the OEM centerstand as well. I wasn't able to get the rear bolt off because it didn't have the clearance. I just had to finagle the pieces in order to get my 13mm wrench in there to get the last bolt off to remove the OEM stand.

Question: Without the spring, my stand is quite wobbly. Did I not torque the bolts enough? I should have checked how the OEM stand was before I removed it.

If you put @ in front of the one you're addressing or quote them, they'll be notified of your question more timely than waiting for them to re-visit the thread.  @Camel ADV

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor
35 minutes ago, MotoBum said:

Question: Without the spring, my stand is quite wobbly. Did I not torque the bolts enough? I should have checked how the OEM stand was before I removed it.

The slot in our side stand is the same width as the one in the OEM unit. People generally don't notice the play in the OEM as they are taking it off but they do notice the same play in our's in the way in. It's all good 😉

• Like 2

On 7/19/2022 at 8:53 PM, Camel ADV said:

The Loctite is no joke! A bit of heat will help get things moving but be careful not to melt any of the plastic bits near the side stand.

Good hint. I had my soldering iron ready for heating up the bolt when I installed mine. I think this way the chances are low that anything gets damaged.

Didn't need it though, a good amount of elbow grease did the job.

• Like 1