Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What crashbars to choose?

Trollbiker

Finally had time to install my Givi bars. I don't speak Spanish but this video helped (edit: I mounted the tape slightly below where he did - if you line the parts up 1st it's easy to tell where it goes):

givi2.jpg

Edited by anotherbike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just installed my Givi bars as well. Was not to bad. They are alright, got them cheap. They are

liht enough and protective enough for me. 

the way they mount is different for sure. 

had Givi bars on my super tenere and had no issues, saved the radiator on many drops 😀

many, many drops....

• Like 2

They look awesome and I love the more minimal look without scaffolding everywhere. Seeing them actually on your bike do you think they would protect the top 1/2 of the fairing in a fall, it’s hard to tell from pictures.

3 hours ago, Rowling_Thunder said:

They look awesome and I love the more minimal look without scaffolding everywhere. Seeing them actually on your bike do you think they would protect the top 1/2 of the fairing in a fall, it’s hard to tell from pictures.

Unless there's something sticking out I think yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Tenere is hopefully going to land at my dealer next week!  Hunting crash bars myself, interesting options and there's some difference between them and how they mount.

Seems the AltRider bars took a similar approach to the mounting points as the Outback by using an upper and lower with a mounting point near the seat.  Any first hand experience with these bars? 

Does anyone have a pic of the blue advspec bars mounted on a T7?  

Edited by dashredder

On 12/10/2020 at 10:26 PM, Rowling_Thunder said:

I’d be really interested in what you think about the Givi bars, the dealership I bought from told me off the record that they’ve had the OEM bars bend inwards for a few customers, so they fit Givi bars to their dealer builds.  The only thing that concerns me is whether they offer enough protection? Would love to hear your feedback on the before I make my purchase. Thanks 

I like the looks and they are among the lightest. They are painted in the same color with the same finish as my Yamaha OEM Racks. As the Yamaha OEM crash bars is made by Givi, I think they also make the racks for Yamaha...(just guessing here, but looks so familiar to the crash bars, when it comes to tubes, welding and painting). I think these will give good protection, not as good as a cave but enough for my use. Here is a install video I made:

Edited by Trollbiker
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 1:13 PM, Matth said:

Sorry not blue but silver adventure spec

4332DB53-136E-40B3-8017-2E989701D680.jpeg

Can you remove the side panel with those rack without removing them?

4 hours ago, Trollbiker said:

I like the looks and they are among the lightest. They are painted in the same color with the same finish as my Yamaha OEM Racks. As the Yamaha OEM crash bars is made by Givi, I think they also make the racks for Yamaha...(just guessing here, but looks so familiar to the crash bars, when it comes to tubes, welding and painting). I think these will give good protection, not as good as a cave but enough for my use. Here is a install video I made:

Thanks Trollbiker, that’ll be helpful tomorrow when I fit mine! I’ll post up the pics when I’m done 👍

• Like 1

I went with the Outback Motortek upper/lower bars. 

Quality is great and the attachment points provide good protection for the radiator and plastic panels. 

I didn't have any issue with install. Just make sure to only run in bolts a few turns and keep everything loose until everything is connected then work your way around tightening bolts.

I also got the OM rear rack and really like the nice wide, flat platform and grab handles.

On 12/6/2020 at 1:26 AM, James said:

Nobody in this thread seems to have considered what the crash bars are mounted to.

I've reviewed most of the crashbars on offer before finding this post and already decided I don't want a crash bar that is not mounted to the structural parts of the frame and engine because a lot of the crash bars (even Touratech) are mounted to the weak front down tube which is designed to hold a few key components and not offer structural support!

Motorcycle Adventures on YouTube reveals how many crash bar manufacturers sell badly designed products here:

In the end, I decided to go for the Yamaha OEM engine guards because they are mounted properly and I'm sure a reasonable amount of thought by the Yamaha engineers went into their design.

They were also the one's Nick Sanders had fitted to his T7 for his London to Sidney ride.

Rather than buy them direct from Yamaha, my local Yahama dealer, Alan Duffus in Kirkaldy, Scotland offered me a 10% discount 🙂

Alan Duffus Motorcycles is a Yamaha Premier dealer in Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland. New and used motorcycles for sale in Scotland, UK.

I'll post some pictures once they're fitted...

PS: Most of my falls off-road have been when the front wheel has lost traction at speed and the hard impacts make crash bars a necessity I believe; especially if you're in a remote location and want to be able to ride out again.

Is directly to the engine a better mounting point? I’ve read atleast twice about someone dropping their bike and cracking the part of the engine where the bars are mounted. Not from hitting that particular spot, but from the pressure on the bars when they got dropped, and the pressure continued to the mount.

Regarding Nick Sanders having them- he is sponsored by Yamaha and Im pretty sure they gave him the bike for this RTW trip for free. Of course they fitted the OEM bars. Just my two cents 🙂

Johannes.

Edited by JayD
  • Like 5

On 11/29/2020 at 10:16 AM, Trollbiker said:

Thanks a lot for great feedback. Since I posted my video (first post in this thread) my viewers and users here has updated me with the following info:

• The OEM Yamaha Crashbars weigh 5 kg (and is probably made by Givi)
  • The SW-Motech lower bar weigh 4.8 kg.
  • The Givi ones weigh 3.5 kg Price varies between 130 € - 170 €. 
  • The Outback Motortek does not weigh 8.3 kg...correct is 2.7 kg for the lower ones and a total weigh (lower+upper) of about 5.5 kg. Seems like Outback Motortek has revised their first model with colors and better fit. I would make sure that is the case before I was buying.
  • Hepco and Becker has just released a "Tankguard Extreme"which seems to give a lot protection. It is 5.6 kg, price is 280 Euros.

Check prices from different dealers, they varies a lot.When it comes to alignment...I would never buy a crash guard if I had to put it in a vice and bend it many millimeters to fit.

Just ordered the Givi ones..got a Black Friday discount of 22€ and paid 144 €, DHL freight included.

Cheers Sven

Hi Sven

thanks for doing the hard work, i prefer the Lower Givi one, currently have the AS silver bars which are great however it makes the bike look too wide I think so pondering on the Givi or genuine yamaha ones.

the extras kgs are very low down so wont notice anyway.

Do Givi use the same mounts as the genuine ones?

and why did you not go for the yam ones?

i see Givi do them in silver also!

your thoughts buddy?

cheers

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

I went with silver Adventure Spec as well. Really really like them. 

IMG_9347.jpg

Any issues with the guards and high fender? Do you have the Camel high fender kit?

40 minutes ago, norton73 said:

Any issues with the guards and high fender? Do you have the Camel high fender kit?

Not at all. Used the Camel and it was seamless. 

• Like 1

As promised here’s a picture of my newly installed Givi bars - choose them because of my local Yam dealers endorsement (they use them on their dealer builds) and report from Rotor Adventures (Yamaha off road school in Dorset UK) that the OEM crash bars had often bent in and cracked the fairings and now they recommend these. 

They are also lighter than most and as Trollbiker said in his video they have a very similar finish to the T7’s frame so they blend in really nicely. Them seem super solid and with the cross bar that is subtly hidden behind the exhaust pipes at the front I’m confident they with not budge on slow/off road drops. I’m really happy with them and combined with the Barkbusters offer a great level of protection for my uses. 

0B03B14E-CBF1-4FB3-8668-985FA59FD166.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OK185 said:

Not Sven but here is my view on this. 

I am very critical about crashbars that mount in any other spot than the OEM ones, at least on this bike.

I want my crashbars to either have the same mounting as OEM or more, like the HEED crashbars.

Probably all crashbars will do a great job in the dirt, because all that's happening most of the time is lower speed tipovers into soft ground. 

But in a road accident, for example, sliding at 70KPH, the forces are something else. Now immagine if the crashbar has only a single lateral mounting point (AdventureSpec) on each side that will take all the force from the crash of the bike and put it on a single spot on the frame. I am quite sure that a road crash on any of these single mounted bars will make it much more likely to total the bike. 

The engineers of Yamaha that designed the OEM crash bar have the actual insight into how forces are working on the bike and frame and can put the crashbar into the right mounting holes that are best suited to withstand a crash. Unless the other manufactures are making physics models on how their crashbar effects their self chosen mounting points and frame in a crash you can't trust them to not ruin the bike in an accident. A company like Yamaha can't sell OEM parts without testing them extensively.  I also wonder why the Yamaha OEM bar is the only one that goes across twice to the other side. There has to be a good reason. Maybe some aftermarket one does the same but I have not seen one yet. 

To go back to the GIVI . It does NOT mount the same as the OEM one. The givi one is mounted, like a few others, on the tube that goes down in the front near the radiator. A metal tube like that is 100% not meant to take heavy lateral forces from a crash and is probably bent fairly easily if you apply the force of a falling 200KG bike to it. So I would stay away from it if it were me.

I agree with this:

GIvi.JPG

Completely agree, i think the alloy bars have a week mounting and bending the lower headlight bracket would be too easy.

i will def go with the yamaha genuine ones.

thanks for the info

I went with Adventure Spec for the sole reason of adding a high fender kit. Comes with the added bonus of light weight aluminum and connecting the left and right side for added strength.  They are rigid too.  The only other options for me were Outback MT and Touratech but they looked like they wouldn’t work with the high fender.

F5C3EB62-523F-46AC-BEFF-B2C085408037.jpeg