Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
CGras

Brake disc bolt replacement

Question

CGras

So I want to change my wheels for a set of tubeless ones some time soon. And in order to get them respoked I need to take the brake discs and ABS rings off. 

The workshop manual says that you need to replace the bolts that hold the discs onto the hubs. I have priced a set of new bolts and they come in at around 40€. 

I guess getting them out will determine if I need to replace them or not but if I manage to get them out without damaging them is there a reason not to reuse the old bolts? My T7 has 12000km now so the bolts haven't seen that much abuse yet.

2 answers to this question

dobbi

As you say as long as you can get them offwithout too much damage then reusing them shouldn;t be  dangerous. I guess a threadlock will be used also adding to the security of them.

On other bikes I found releasing the bolts was best done with some very directed heat around the bolts. gas powered soldering irons with a direct flame are very good at putting a bit of heat around bolts.

CGras

I tried taking one out. A normal wrench didn't work but an impact driver got it out undamaged.

There is blue thread lock on the bolts so a little heat will surely help.