Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hella horn 'upgrade'

Teneresaurus

I know it's not really necessary, but I had a pair of Hella sharptones horns pulled off of my car and it's nearly a bolt on 'upgrade'. the Hellas come in pairs, so you can split a pack with a friend .

20201120_105254.jpg

• Like 3

Horn upgrade and aux lights upgrade is essential must have for any rider! And in my opinion exhaust as well 😉 

is the wiring plug and play or is there splicing involved? I had these on my WRX and loved them.

thanks!

On 11/20/2020 at 4:42 PM, mr. projekt said:

is the wiring plug and play or is there splicing involved? I had these on my WRX and loved them.

thanks!

everything was plug and play. the Hella mount bolted to the stock location, I just bent it slightly back so it wasn't contacting the radiator guard. the leads slipped right on. easy-done. 

• Like 3

Re: horns, I just had a Denali Split Soundbomb shipped in with a wiring kit.  Didn't realize it was going to weigh a metric ton, it's on its way back for a return accordingly.  Might go your route on horn upgrade.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, GreatDistances said:

Re: horns, I just had a Denali Split Soundbomb shipped in with a wiring kit.  Didn't realize it was going to weigh a metric ton, it's on its way back for a return accordingly.  Might go your route on horn upgrade.  Thanks.

But it's so satisfying watching people crap their pants when you give them a blast 🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 365moto.eu said:

@Teneresaurus could you please update some other photos?

Could you confirm it's a 12,3 cm wide horn?

thank

the box shows 108mm for the horn itself, 120 for horn and bracket. 

pic is hella vs factory

20201127_214611.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dirtrider99x said:

did u install the high or low tone horn?

these are low tone. had them on my car first, swapped them out for the higher tone and had them sitting around. 

FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster LOW Note Horn available at Amazon or most auto parts stores.

Direct replacement option for $15 and 5 minutes.

Changes meep meep to a nice deep loud honk like most pickup trucks.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I tried these ordered off of Amazon,  which didn't fit. The mounting bracket was too short which put the horn up against the radiator. When I tried a longer mounting tab that would clear the radiator,  then the wire leads were too short, putting strain on the harness. Bottom line, too much time invested in the swap so they're going back and I ordered a single Hella that is 3.6" diameter.  These horns measure 4.75" and were about 5dB louder but, not worth the effort to make them fit.

20201206_073040.jpg

20201206_073018.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The Denali Soundbomb mini fits with no issues. Plenty loud

SoundBomb_Mini_large.jpg?v=1544638768

At 113 decibels, the distinct low-tone sound from the DENALI SoundBomb Mini Motorcycle Horn is twice as loud as a typical 100 decibel disc horn. Designed to be a direct Plug & Play upgrade from your factory horn, requiring no additional relay or wiring harness as long as the original horn has blade-style electrical

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip @Teneresaurus my Hella sharpies arrived today and I did a quick switcheroo. I've gone for the lower tone horn out of the two. The main drive for me though was the matching colour blue + yellow!!

Had to bend the bracket into an odd "S" shape to fit the horn in the original position and there was very little slack in the cables, but managed to link it all up without removing the body work or crash bars which was a huge bonus.

And yes, I know my bike needs cleaning. Weekend job.

Cheers all 👍

20201218_194106.jpg

20201218_194118.jpg

• Like 2

I also installed the sharp tone I put the low tone on the T7 and the high tone on my wolverine the supplied brackets can be bent into an offset as mentioned above

20201220_194811.thumb.jpg.0058e359ed7a6cef883095cc67b8a688.jpg

20201220_195200.thumb.jpg.d9679ac7174e475ad0ef66a0d30cd1db.jpg

20201220_194513.thumb.jpg.14abe9c5bb1877891bdb41cca63c24a0.jpg

Edited by ClutchXT

• 8 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 10:50 AM, Liquidape said:

At 113 decibels, the distinct low-tone sound from the DENALI SoundBomb Mini Motorcycle Horn is twice as loud as a typical 100 decibel disc horn. Designed to be a direct Plug & Play upgrade from your factory horn, requiring no additional relay or wiring harness as long as the original horn has blade-style electrical

Hey Ape - when you installed the Soundbomb Mini, did you need to purchase their wiring harness and connect it directly to the battery?

@Seventh Sonnope did not need the harness. Plugged it directly to the connection the original horn used. 
it won’t fire off on just the battery. But if the engine is running it works fine. 
When I first installed it I tried it without the engine running and thought that it needed a harness. But realized it was fine with the motor running 

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 4:50 PM, Liquidape said:

I fitted this and great improvement over original. I was able to just fit it up and behind the side panel so it’s not visible, clean look and purposeful improvement 🤓

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 2:50 AM, Liquidape said:

I’ve had a Japanese version of this horn that I got off a grey import and has subsequently been installed on my Yamaha Srx600, Fz6, Tenere 660, Mt-09 Tracer and now my T7.

Done about 300,000km on that second hand horn. What a bargain!

I have a PIAA Slim Line 400Hz horn on my FJ600 that does not require a relay to avoid burning out the contacts in the switch. This horn is quite loud and the tone is more like a car than the bleat of the old stock horn. 

It came in a pair with a 500Hz that I was thinking about putting on the T7, but after hearing the stock horn I did not think there was enough difference to justify the work to install it.