Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Stop engine with kill switch, without reactivating ABS (mod)

Hogan

I am going to go look that’s interesting that was in the service manual!

Thanks,

Mike

6 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

I am going to go look that’s interesting that was in the service manual!

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry I meant the procedure to remove the panels, tank etc, to get at the ABS pump is in the manual. It also shows how to remove the lever type locking plug the ABS uses.

I don't think this is a Yamaha approved modification 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hahaha ok that makes more sense. I was floored they would have chopping a wire to disable a safety system in the service manual. I know I skimmed it but man....

thanks!

Mike

On 11/20/2020 at 1:16 PM, Hogan said:

At the ABS connector, which is part of the ABS pump assembly (located on the clutch side above the engine and below the fuel tank), cut the wire that is red with a black trace.

Now you will be able to stop the engine with the kill switch without re-arming the ABS.

It might be possible to get to the connector by just removing the side scoop and regulator.

When I did it I lifted the tank for better access. The procedure is in the service manual, which if you don't already have, should download now!

I’m still trying to find a T7 available 
to buy, but this seems like it would be pretty convenient. I might wire it up with a SPST switch of some sort for “Normal” vs “Off-Road” riding so it would stay off if riding off-road, but be able to operate as normal on the highway or when commuting. 

Does it set any codes/lights or have any other disadvantages You are aware of? I assume the ABS still works if it’s not turned off?

Great find if that is the only thing cutting that wire does!

6 hours ago, POLISHADAM82 said:

will this also work when you turn the key off and on?

No. Key off and then back on still rearms the ABS.

A way to keep it off regardless of ignition state would be nice, wouldn't it 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MotoTraveler said:

to buy, but this seems like it would be pretty convenient. I might wire it up with a SPST switch of some sort for “Normal” vs “Off-Road” riding so it would stay off if riding off-road, but be able to operate as normal on the highway or when commuting. 

Does it set any codes/lights or have any other disadvantages You are aware of? I assume the ABS still works if it’s not turned off?

There are three power inputs and fuses for the ABS system:

ABS solenoid

ABS motor

ABS control unit.

Removing either the solenoid or motor fuse will stop the ABS from working, but it still allows the ABS unit to operate enough that the speedometer still works.

There will be an error detected in the ABS ecu which has it's own internal diagnostic system.

The orange ABS light that normally lights up and goes away once you exceed 10kph will remain on, and the ABS will not work. The "OFFROAD" segment and 'ABS off' lights do not illuminate.

The Check Engine Light does not illuminate.

Reinstalling the fuse will cause the system to return to normal. However the error code will still be logged, you just won't be alerted to it. I'm not 100 percent sure, but you may need the official Yamaha Diagnostic Tool to clear it as at this point I'm not sure whether the ABS diagnostics system is proprietary Yamaha stuff or OBD2 stuff.

Installing a switch (or preferably a normally on relay) into either of those lines is an option, however I find such a solution to be a bit 'hacky'. I have a more elegant solution in my mind, however it's far off from being a prototype, let alone a saleable product. So I won't tease you with details 🙂

• Like 3

On 11/25/2020 at 4:53 PM, Hogan said:

ABS solenoid

ABS motor

ABS control unit.

Removing either the solenoid or motor fuse will stop the ABS from working, but it still allows the ABS unit to operate enough that the speedometer still works.

There will be an error detected in the ABS ecu which has it's own internal diagnostic system.

The orange ABS light that normally lights up and goes away once you exceed 10kph will remain on, and the ABS will not work. The "OFFROAD" segment and 'ABS off' lights do not illuminate.

Reinstalling the fuse will cause the system to return to normal. However the error code will still be logged, you just won't be alerted to it. I'm not 100 percent sure, but you may need the official Yamaha Diagnostic Tool to clear it as at this point I'm not sure whether the ABS diagnostics system is proprietary Yamaha stuff or OBD2 stuff.

Installing a switch (or preferably a normally on relay) into either of those lines is an option, however I find such a solution to be a bit 'hacky'. I have a more elegant solution in my mind, however it's far off from being a prototype, let alone a saleable product. So I won't tease you with details 🙂

Good to know, thanks. I figure the first or second fuse (1 or 2) from the right side of the bike.

1450883516_Tenere700FusesV2.jpg.aa48f5f70d4ee7f974e68ef86dfe88dd.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

IMAG0178.thumb.jpg.56119b7796e36556b0fbf80f1844a794.jpg

Someone requested a photo, though this is the only one I have. If you look at the ball on the end of clutch lever, then directly below that are the wires running into the ABS unit. The ABS unit itself is directly to the right of the ball. You can see the four brake lines coming into the top of it.

As you can see I lifted the tank, but I'm not sure if that is 100 percent necessary.

The mod is working great too by the way. I can now stop the bike for reasons, like checking out a track, clearing tracks, quick breathers etc without having to remember or actually turn the ABS off again.

On 11/30/2020 at 11:36 AM, anotherbike said:

For someone who insinuates that he is a good rider, he didn't seem to apply much front brake. Otherwise he wouldn't have ridden straight into the camera.

Although I'm pretty sure he intentionally rode into the camera for dramatic effect. Film making 101: never let reality get in the way of showmanship and a paycheck.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 5:53 AM, Hogan said:

ABS solenoid

ABS motor

ABS control unit.

I am contemplating with the idea of deleting the ABS pump ... Wondering if you could share some more information about how I could hack the bike into thinking that the ABS is still there and have no light on the dash.. I am no expert in electronics but I am sure that my work mates can figure something out if I give them the right information 😄 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I am contemplating with the idea of deleting the ABS pump ... Wondering if you could share some more information about how I could hack the bike into thinking that the ABS is still there and have no light on the dash.. I am no expert in electronics but I am sure that my work mates can figure something out if I give them the right information 😄 

To remove the ABS unit, it must be replaced with something that can replicated the required signals (Mostly canbus messages).  The main problem isn't the light on the dash, it's the fact the speedometer won't work.

Flash Tune sell such a device for other Yamahas:

https://ftecu.com/shop/2016-2019-yamaha-mt-10-abs-delete/

But they do not list one for the T7.

My advice is for you, and anyone else who are genuinely interested in such a product to contact FT and show an expression of interest.

Since they sell the above unit (for the MT10) at $250 US dollars, that should give you an indication of what it will cost you, minus the cost of new hydraulic lines of course.

email: sales@ftecu.com

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hogan said:

To remove the ABS unit, it must be replaced with something that can replicated the required signals (Mostly canbus messages).  The main problem isn't the light on the dash, it's the fact the speedometer won't work.

My advice is for you, and anyone else who are genuinely interested in such a product to contact FT and show an expression of interest.

Since they sell the above unit (for the MT10) at $250 US dollars, that should give you an indication of what it will cost you, minus the cost of new hydraulic lines of course.

Thank you for sharing this, that is rather annoying that the speedo will not work without the ABS pump... I was hoping it will...👍 

Aleks 

All we need to know what does the ABS control unit when we pull the fuse or better when we install a switch into one of the two circuits. That the errors remain in the ABS control unit is probably not a problem, the question is will it be a problem once a certain number of errors is stored in the ABS control units memory...

14 hours ago, Hogan said:

I have found a similar product for the xsr900 which I think has the same abs unit but I need to check with them... I suspect the units are the same as yamaha would not spend more money on a different unit... But I can always be wrong.

Aleks 

Response from Ftecu on the ABS delete options for the Mt07 , probably the same unit as the T7... 😄 

image.thumb.png.21c72ec073085c19de717cf258c2fc9e.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

After running into a tree today because of my ABS I decided to try this mod, went ahead and cut the red with black trace wire from the ABS module, then put a piece of heatshrink to seal the ends and keep the wire from touching and when I turned on my bike, ERR code popped up and no more speedo... 

Decided I'd just put it back like it was, so I soldered the wire back together and I still have no speedo an err code. 

Any ideas on what went wrong? 

I just ordered an OBD2 adapter hoping I can reset the code

• Like 1

I did unplug the connector, pulled back on that "tab" when I did and when I push it back on the "tab" automatically clicks back in which seems to indicate it is properly seated. 

And like you said, red with a black trace.

EDIT: Also, when I cut the wire and put heatshrink, the key was off I only turned on the key when the connector was back in, the battery stayed connected the whole time 

Edited by Seakan

Update: Turns out I wasn't plugging the abs unit properly, I wasn't pulling back enough on the tab when plugging it in. 

You almost have to pull it back, push the connector in, then with the help on the tab push the connector all the way in, till the tab clicks as it should. 

Sooo Im not sure if I should cut that wire again lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Seakan said:

Update: Turns out I wasn't plugging the abs unit properly, I wasn't pulling back enough on the tab when plugging it in. 

You almost have to pull it back, push the connector in, then with the help on the tab push the connector all the way in, till the tab clicks as it should. 

Sooo Im not sure if I should cut that wire again lol

seems like this + the tree affair could be a reminder to turn it off... for a while at least 😅

I find myself also having hardships with this. Made me lose time at the rally too, after a little crash to have to remember(but ofc forgetting to) and turn the bloody thing off.(cursing was involved) 

and I still find myself forgetting it in awkward situations and being frustrated and annoyed. Quite frankly also risking a crash here and there. 

which still make me wonder... how hard can it be to have a physical switch on the handlebar with an ON/OFF button and to be able to turn it on and off while riding? 

(I don’t understand anything about these things so I have no actual clue, but honestly it doesn’t seem like the most absurd thing for someone to come up with? We have sent people to the moon in the sixties ffs 🤪

On the other hand I’ve felt the abs work great for me on the road now and then. So how good would such a mod be? 

a man can dream

Hugo 

0D9F6AF7-3C6A-4235-B567-34F9DE23BF9C.jpeg

Edited by HugoB
Typos
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HugoB said:

which still make me wonder... how hard can it be to have a physical switch on the handlebar with an ON/OFF button and to be able to turn it on and off while riding? 

Turning it off while riding should be possible with a switch. Turning it back on might require a power cycle of the ecu and/or ABS unit. At the very least following the normal procedure to turn ABS on/off through the button in the dash. That's what I would expect, in any case.

• Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

• 7 months later...

Just thinking about this and it occurred to me, what if you switch control the signal that's sending speed info so it has no reading/input. Then you could maybe just push the dash button and turn off abs while still rolling. Possibly then switch speed signal back on and just goes back to normal..??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

But as many ppl do, just pulling the ABS solenoid fuse to ride with no ABS. 
this doesn’t throw error codes, Speedo works etc, just abs light is always on. 

so highjack the cable from fusebox (1) to the abs solenoid, put a switch in between and your good to go. 
to re enable abs, you will need to power off the bike completely, switch the switch then power on. 
but to disable, you can do it while the bike is on. 

im going to make a video about this, haven’t seen any on YT. 
but seen plenty ppl riding with constant abs light (fuse been pulled)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My T7 it's a '21 model. I be able to stop the engine with the kill switch without turn off ABS again when I start the engine. 🤔

Edited by Rekiem
  • Like 2