Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Make up my mind for me. Arai XD4 or Klim Krios Pro?

Cruizin

I'm also looking at the Suomy MX Tourer.  It's even LIGHTER than the Klim Krios Pro, and it has a drop down inner visor so no worries of the "hot spots" you get with the transition lens with peak installed on the Krios Pro.

• 1 month later...

So what helmet did Santa bring?  I’m facing a similar decision on a new helmet for a TAT run this summer and curious which direction you decided to go.  The Krios  and XD4 are both at the top of my list. 

I've never owned a Klim helmet but I do have an Arai xd4, been wearing for about 10 months, initial fit was a little tight, but now it's a little to loose, also after wearing my old MX helmet and goggles I realised how noisy on highway rides the xd4 is, my old AGV is over 10 years old and still fits the same and is a lot quieter for wind noise, Adventure Helmets....a gimmick perhaps???

I still like my Arai but starting to ask a few questions to myself about it.

• 5 months later...

Reviving an old thread. No experience with Klim Krios, but I wore an Arai XD4 for five years. Very comfortable and quiet for me, and loved the little pull down chin curtain to deflect cold air. Like the XD I owned before the XD4, once I added an ounce or so of self-adhesive wheel balance weights to the front underside of the visor/peak it stabilized the helmet at speed and greatly reduced buffeting.

The XD4's single weak point for me was shield fogging. Any time I'd ride in rain (which is a lot, as I ride in all weather except snow and ice), the shield would fog badly. Didn't matter what vents I'd open or if the shield was cracked open, it fogged to the point riding was dangerous. Not fun on the interstate in a downpour mixing it up with semis when you can't see. Tried many home remedies (shampoo, spit, soap) and anti-fog products (Cat Crap, etc.), but nothing worked acceptably. Tried a Fog City and a Pinlock insert; they helped but because I commute 58 miles one way in early morning darkness the halos made by those shields from oncoming lights made them unacceptable. Also, those inserts scratched very easily.

Because I'd owned an HJC helmet with an OEM anti-fog coating that was very effective, I contacted Arai to ask why they didn't do the same on their very expensive helmets. They were prototyping just such a coating at that time, asked if I'd be a beta tester, and sent me a coated shield to use and report on weekly to them. The coating helped, but the shield still fogged in cold, wet weather in spite of all the suggestions provided to me by Arai. By the end of the three month test period, when Arai told me to just keep it, I had to throw the shield away. The coating scratched by simply looking at it too long, and had become unusable. As much as I otherwise loved my XD4, that fogging problem will keep me from buying another.

I replaced the XD4 with a carbon fiber Touratech Adventuro three years ago. Not sure if I can go back to regular, heavy helmet again, and no fogging issues with the Touratech shield even though it doesn't have an anti-fog coating.       

• Thanks 1

I highly recommend the Krios Pro! I've had it for about 4 months now and no complaints. I love how light it is. My brother actually just bought one about a month ago because I liked mine so much 

• Like 1

I have both and I take Arai over krios any day sure it might be heavier but I think fit and finish on XD is better also it's quieter imo then krios. I had about 5 XDs and will get one again when time comes. just my .02$

• Like 1

Just bought a Krios (not a pro) as they had an old stock one in my size and acceptable color. Haven't used it yet (next week) so will see how it goes.

Tried to get a Shoei (as I've always had/have them) but couldn't find one anywhere under $1000 CAD or without the Honda AT color scheme. 

Fitted up my Rugged Radios headset, and will see how it works for our annual BC back Country ride (Okanagan BDR!😀) with a bunch of 690's/701's starting on the 24th. Hopefully the province hasn't burned down by then...

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

1 minute ago, Canzvt said:

Just bought a Krios (not a pro) as they had an old stock one in my size and acceptable color. Haven't used it yet (next week) so will see how it goes.

Tried to get a Shoei (as I've always had/have them) but couldn't find one anywhere under $1000 CAD or without the Honda AT color scheme. 

Fitted up my Rugged Radios headset, and will see how it works for our annual BC back Country ride (Okanagan BDR!😀) with a bunch of 690's/701's starting on the 24th. Hopefully the province hasn't burned down by then...

I just cancelled our epic ride in the Cariboo region due to all the smoke and fire.  We are arranging to return in late August.  Hopefully there is a few trees left standing.

Very similar situation for me.  I figured I would just get one of the best helmet I could and of course the XD4 and Hornet were at the top of my list.  I thought the Klims always looked cheaper in quality in pictures and I didn't give it much thought.  I also assumed because of how they haven't been making helmets for long they'd be behind the curve.

After trying on the Arai and Shoei and then running into the Krios Pro at a different shop, I'm sold on the Klim.  It's light, the transitions shade is a huge plus, and to be honest it felt more comfortable all around.  The quick connect chin strap is cool too.  Now I just gotta figure out what color I want.

• 3 weeks later...

Like @cstatman I have been Shoei (road) (and Bell - off road) for a long time.   

I purchased the Scorpion EXO-AT950 and am very impressed.

I only have 2500 miles on it with a little over 50% in the dirt.

Last 500 miles I took the peak off it and fitted the side panels - that made a big difference in less buffeting at 60-70 mph range on the hard top.

I know not having the peak is very un-ADV, but it makes a difference.

• Like 1