Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dented rim fix & leaking tubeless with OutEx kit conversion

FAR&FURTHER

• Premium Member

Hello, everyone knows that I'm hooked on the OutEx kit tubeless conversion for long time.

One of the issues with the tubeless I have that at the end of the life the tire (especially front one) starts leaking through the bead and I loos few psi in a day. Not a big deal with the TPSM and compressor at hand but still.

Another big question always was what happens when I dent the rim!? Is it disaster? Can I fix it myself or I'll get stranded in the middle of nowhere?

It turns out I can fix it myself and fairly easy once done few times, so no disasters. Of course if I totally bend or damage structure of the rim, I'll be screwed but I'd probably be with the tubes as well.

So story of the dented rims & lessons I learned:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

Excellent video. My front developed small leaks around the rim so I popped the tire and used automotive rim sealer, seems to be working great right now. I had a nasty bent rim on my S10 a few years ago and like you said I had to pound it with a 4 lb sledgehammer with a 8 inch pice of aluminum to soften the blow. I also used a dial indicator on my balancing stand to check. Like what you did with the hardwood block between the rim.  Thanks again and your the reason I’m using the Outex kit. 

Wonder if the problem is with the tires? We have had 3 local guys with the motoz tractionators popping off the rear rim. 2 KTMs and one AT with aftermarket tubeless rims.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Limey said:

Excellent video. My front developed small leaks around the rim so I popped the tire and used automotive rim sealer, seems to be working great right now. I had a nasty bent rim on my S10 a few years ago and like you said I had to pound it with a 4 lb sledgehammer with a 8 inch pice of aluminum to soften the blow. I also used a dial indicator on my balancing stand to check. Like what you did with the hardwood block between the rim.  Thanks again and your the reason I’m using the Outex kit. 

Hi @Limey, thanks glad it was useful. Every single tire I had over the 100k km developed some small leaks around the rim. I can't really explain it but it may be the way how low pressure and tire flex works on the bead with the combination of dirt and corrosion on the rim.

Once I sealed it with the automotive rim sealer but it didn't last long, again I think because as I run the tire at 18psi for offroad there is enough movement that the sealer gets "damaged". I think it would be viable solution for someone who does not change pressure or ride significant off-road.

I have to say I was stunned how much force one needs to put into the blow to achieve something. People say how soft the rims on T7 are... in that case I can't imagine beating Excels back into its shape.

It was great lesson because dents were kind of last thing to worry about with tubeless/OutEx for me and now I know it can be dealt with.

Also, I did try quite hard to dent the rims or pop the tire off bead on the Dinaric rally!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Limey said:

Wonder if the problem is with the tires? We have had 3 local guys with the motoz tractionators popping off the rear rim. 2 KTMs and one AT with aftermarket tubeless rims.

Could be, they're... strange. But I do have limited tire experience. I know I won't get them again.

Nice!

Tire Sealant?   It's standard practice for running MTB's tubeless.   I don't see it being used as much on motorcycles.   While it wouldn't seal a big hole, and might not have sealed the dented rim you have here, it would seal the slow leaks around the rim.   Slime is really messy, I use sealant from truckerco.com on my mtb, I think I'll try it on the T7 when I do the outex conversion.

For tire pressure, how low is too low?   It looks like for this load, tire, and riding,  18 psi is too low.  

5 hours ago, papab said:

Nice!

Tire Sealant?   It's standard practice for running MTB's tubeless.   I don't see it being used as much on motorcycles.   While it wouldn't seal a big hole, and might not have sealed the dented rim you have here, it would seal the slow leaks around the rim.   Slime is really messy, I use sealant from truckerco.com on my mtb, I think I'll try it on the T7 when I do the outex conversion.

For tire pressure, how low is too low?   It looks like for this load, tire, and riding,  18 psi is too low.  

I use Stan's Sealant in my enduro with Tubliss. Only flat I have had in the last couple years was from a hard edge hit two weeks ago that burped the front air out. Liner held and I rode the rest of the ride with a front with zero psi.

I have been thinking of using Stan's with the Outex, or 3M tape. Haven't decided which route I am taking, but sealant should help with edge sealing at a minimum. Seems like anything under 22psi is rolling the dice.

Edited by worncog

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/1/2020 at 5:27 PM, papab said:

Nice!

Hi @papab Yes tyre sealant would work on the "through the rim" leaks but if the rim is dented it's just pushing the inevitable repair away. Also the tyre sealant seems to weaken quite quickly off-road when using lower pressure and the tire is working and flexing.

As for the pressure... I've been running 19/19 psi on Dinaric rally with the T7 and had no problems and doing respectable pace there. Now, the tires were gone in 3 days of rally, knobs obliterated from all the stones so low pressure and wear is something I'm not concerned with.

In terms of risk of knocking tyre off the bead... if it survived the Dinaric it can take substantial beating without issues. I'd not go lower as it does not make much sense (sand, dunes are fine on 19/19) and the risk would go higher. 

On road I run 32/36 depends on tires.

• Like 1