Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Aftermarket Handle Bars

EzBikes

Check out fassco.com, pro taper.com and renthal.com

You will have to figure out what bend will suit you. Best to try and pull the stock rise and pull back off the old bars and go from there. If you wish to retain the bar end weights you may have to tap the bars so the stock weights screw in. Other options are available for after market weights (I think)

Edited by Marc
Typo

This thread might help. I'm still looking around for upgrades as well!

i bought the protaper EVO Adv - it seems closest to stock (which I like ergonomically)

and as a bonus? its not made of swiss cheese like the factory bars.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, EzBikes said:

Anyone have the flex? Curious how it is. Looks like it would add weight. 

@EzBikes this thread might help you out.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, cstatman said:

i bought the protaper EVO Adv - it seems closest to stock (which I like ergonomically)

and as a bonus? its not made of swiss cheese like the factory bars.

@cstatmandid you get the high or standard?

Edited by EzBikes

standard -   someone has a photo here somewhere with the standard zip tied to the stock - and they are nearly same bends

if I was rich?   i'd totes buy the Fasst Flexx

Edited by cstatman

18 hours ago, cstatman said:

standard -   someone has a photo here somewhere with the standard zip tied to the stock - and they are nearly same bends

if I was rich?   i'd totes buy the Fasst Flexx

Kind of dumb question, but what handlebar protections did you use now?

7 minutes ago, loneranger700 said:

Kind of dumb question, but what handlebar protections did you use now?

there are NO dumb questions!!!  🙂

i will be installing Oxford Heated Grips and BarkBusters Storm s   a soon as I get off work tonight

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cstatman said:

there are NO dumb questions!!!  🙂

i will be installing Oxford Heated Grips and BarkBusters Storm s   a soon as I get off work tonight

Haha, thanks! So will the storms mount the same way as the OEM or did you have to buy like a taper kit or something for the protaper bars?

I'm also interested in handlebar replacement, also looking at the Protaper EVO adv standards as a first look.  I've got the T7-specific Barkbusters VPS kit and OEM heated grips.  Wondering how nicely the bars / BB / grips would play together.  Looking forward to cstatman's post-work updates so I can stand on the shoulders of giants for my eventual install. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreatDistances said:

can stand on the shoulders of giants for my eventual install. 🙂

ha ha ha   OMG  ---  ha ha

giant farter - thats about it.  🙂

SO!!!!   swapped the ADV bars - drilled holes for the little pins  (will write it all up with pix when done)
put on oxford heated grips     AND>>>   progress comes to a crashing halt

first, cause I was hungry, and it had become late

second - I want to look through the forum to see what people did to wire in their heated grips.  I'm not sure how thrilled I am about running a wire under the tank and back to the battery.

Third!   *(&*(&!(*&^%#@%$# Barkbuster Storm &*!#(*^&@^&@^&  only mount on the bar end!   I did NOT know this
they only mount on a threaded bar end - which the Super Awesome Renthal ADV is? .... NOT!    there is not the bar that mounts the other end, as I am used to --- so?  learning opportunities abound

i need to solve that.

will write up and pix and all - once i make more headway tomorrow

my UNi filter and snorkel filter arrived from Australia.  I tried to install it, but it kept flipping itself upside down.  Maybe they dont work in this hemisphere. 🙂   (i need to oil the filter before installing.)

• Like 1

Cstatman,

I went a differnt way , Enduro engineering, for hand guards.They came with expansion style inserts for the inside of the bar mount. Wanted something a bit stronger. Got these . Next problem. After getting the tap around 2 turns into the pro tapers it  got tight. Backed it out. Used compressed air to clear out any chips. Applied cutting oil. Tried to go  further. Tight!

Concerned it would snap off in there and I’d be f**ked!

Ok, could make it work but would need to drill out the bars prior to threading. Removing material to make something stronger is counter intuitive, even to me. 

Thanks for staying with me . I went back to the expansion inserts. Barkbusters sell them as an accessory too.

Jeff

bpd_17_rig_han_bar_end_mou_wo_tap.jpg

This is the most secure handguard fastening system available. It keeps your guards secure at all times. You tap the end of the handlebar (Tap is not included) , thread the insert in the end of the handlebar with an allen wrench, then attach the handguards with the supplied bolts. *Machined from 6061 aluminum for added strength...

• Like 2

As for bar end weights with my set up. Got afew hundred miles without them. Vibration is not bad.

YMMV

I am running pro grip Rally soft grips and they may be playing a part with vibration damping too.

https://www.jtr.com.au/progrip-black-714-fat-rally-grips 

Edited by gone2seed
  • Like 1

Cstatman,

great minds think alike.Fools usually come to the same conclusion.

I Hope,you have better luck threading inside the  bars than I did.

My advice, if you go this route . Make sure the id of the pro tapers works for the tap you are using.

( please go back and reread my post)

Edited by gone2seed
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

Cstatman,

great minds think alike.Fools usually come to the same conclusion.

I Hope,you have better luck threading inside the  bars than I did.

My advice, if you go this route . Make sure the id of the pro tapers works for the tap you are using.

( please go back and reread my post)

we be fools!   forgone conclusion as we all spend too much time with motorcycles!

I've run the bar-tapping on more than a few sets in the past.  will see how it goes. 
Quality tap always helps

and?  just like riding offroad?  committment

I will make it up that rocky hill single track - brap brap..   and ya make it or ya dont.   But if you hesitate?  you fall for sure.
Either I get them tapped?  or I buy a new set of bars.  🙂
(and Oxford Grips which are already superglued to the bars)

commit - whack the throttle - Be like Ronnie Mac - and go

• Like 1

Go for it

(miss 100% of the shots you don’t take)

Update- pulled the guards off, got out the tap and a12” crescent wrench to drive it. Installed the inserts with minimal use of   4 letter words. Nothing broke and guards are back on.

The tap that came with my kit is 5/8” 11 threads per inch. 8mm is the thread inside the insert.

If you want to use the standard weights or hand guards designed to work with stock bars:

• Members
  • 26 posts

That's the "Adventure" bar and not the "Adventure High" correct? Here is the tap you need for the bar end weights; easy to do.

Tap.jpeg

Edited by gone2seed
update

Good fuc.king lord I have no idea what I've got myself into swapping from OEM handlebars to aftermarket..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

you simply got yourself farther into the adventure of being mechanical., and totes making the bike YOURS!  🙂

the more you disassemble, the more you can fix next time you are on the side of the trail in the Mojave Desert, or Brazilian rain forest, or the starbucks down the street  🙂

there is an immensely satisfying feeling you get when "its done - I did it."

• Like 6

I am interested in hearing how the barkbusters work with protaper adventure bars as I was unable to get them to work together. Or potentially without buying new longer bolts anyway..

Barkbusters has hardware for non-threaded bars.  You could reach out to them and get the alternate hardware.  See below for comparison of 2 backbone sets, noting the bar-weight attachment point.

Tenere 700 backbone (BHG-078):

bhg078-2-9-19-master-mark-e1567572022543

and here is the Kawasaki Versys 250/300 backbone:

BHG-036-Watermark-Grey-e1511403185825.jp

i threaded the bars with the high quality tap that came with the BRP tap & insert kit.

2 turns in, then back out, clean, remove cuttings, re oil
4 turns in, then.....

6 turns in,,...

etc etc till the bars were threaded.
loctite on the inserts, threaded in,  waited about 6 hrs for some curing time,  then mounted the barkbuster storms 

they look great, and its done.

Will put up photo later  (@ work computer, no pix)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1