Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Waiting for my Tenere 700

New Order

Hi all! I'm a middle-aged dude from northern Sweden.

I only have had the motorcycle license about three years. So I am a complete noob. I'm currently own two bikes. A MT-09, that I bought new the summer I got my license, and the Xt660R that I bought two years ago.

I have come to prefer gravel over tarmac.  And prefer the type of riding that the XT is offering. After realizing that, the Tenere 700 has been in my target. The XT will be traded in if/when it arrives. And I will keep the MT-09 for now. Why own one bike when you can have two or three?🤔👍😎 Anyway. Nice to be here!🙂

G'day mate. 

To have something as powerful as an MT09 with only 3 years of riding!

If you like gravel then also consider a proper trail bike too at some stage before you get too old. I'm not sure what trails they have at your side of the world but something much lighter than the 660 would be much more fun when the tracks get tight or rough.

For your info, i'm also a middle aged "dude", from Australia and have had many bikes since I was about 14 or 15? So that's about 35 years of riding, both on road and trails, though now I have a small farm but only a DT200 to ride. 😞 I'm dreaming of another road legal bike, like the T7 but can't afford one now so it's just one bike at a time for me for now.

Welcome to the forum and happy riding.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shaneygrog said:

G'day mate. 

To have something as powerful as an MT09 with only 3 years of riding!

If you like gravel then also consider a proper trail bike too at some stage before you get too old. I'm not sure what trails they have at your side of the world but something much lighter than the 660 would be much more fun when the tracks get tight or rough.

For your info, i'm also a middle aged "dude", from Australia and have had many bikes since I was about 14 or 15? So that's about 35 years of riding, both on road and trails, though now I have a small farm but only a DT200 to ride. 😞 I'm dreaming of another road legal bike, like the T7 but can't afford one now so it's just one bike at a time for me for now.

Welcome to the forum and happy riding.

Thanks for the welcome.🙂 The MT-09 is a friendly beast. The first season I rode it mostly in B mode and the highest traction control.

I was thinking of the MT-07 as an alternative when I was shopping for my first bike, but the nine was a bit larger and suited me better. The MT-07 is a bit small. The engine on the nine is a absolute gem. Torque everywhere! Powerful. 

But I wouldn't get a Tenere 900 with the nines engine if that would ever be launched. It's to powerful for gravel. At least for me. The 700 is perfect. And we will see. I suspect that the nine will be a dust collector when I get my Tenere, and in that case I will consider to sell it. Perhaps....🤔🤕 

It's my first motorcycle, and I don't mind keeping it just for that reason.

Edited by New Order
  • Like 1

You will find the little ole FZ-07 can keep up with it's bigger sibling (CP3 motors) for about an 1/8 mile than the CP3 just lays the hammer down 😁

• Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

12 hours ago, New Order said:

Thanks for the welcome.🙂 The MT-09 is a friendly beast. The first season I rode it mostly in B mode and the highest traction control....

Ride modes and traction control. I have never had a bike with either, i'm sure they came in handy when getting  used to riding a bike with such a powerful engine. I remember my enthusiasm when first reading about the MT09, the first Time Yamaha put a 3 cylinder engine in a bike since I was a kid! And what a gem of an engine it was made out to be, and in such a light bike, not that I have ever ridden one myself. So caught up with the MT09 was I that I totally ignored it's little brother. Little was I to know they would be putting "little brother's" engine in a trail bike a few years later. Now I could bore you with all the bikes I have owned, and all the bikes I have dreamed up, but I think Yamaha have come as close to my perfect dream bike as I could imagine, assuming I still had a small bike for hooning around the farm. Now I need to get one before I am too old!

Safe riding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shaneygrog said:

Ride modes and traction control. I have never had a bike with either, i'm sure they came in handy when getting  used to riding a bike with such a powerful engine. I remember my enthusiasm when first reading about the MT09, the first Time Yamaha put a 3 cylinder engine in a bike since I was a kid! And what a gem of an engine it was made out to be, and in such a light bike, not that I have ever ridden one myself. So caught up with the MT09 was I that I totally ignored it's little brother. Little was I to know they would be putting "little brother's" engine in a trail bike a few years later. Now I could bore you with all the bikes I have owned, and all the bikes I have dreamed up, but I think Yamaha have come as close to my perfect dream bike as I could imagine, assuming I still had a small bike for hooning around the farm. Now I need to get one before I am too old!

Safe riding.

Hahaha. Agreed. I also need one before I'm to old. I want to explore the world. And in the Tenere 700 I think that'll I found my partner in crime. Cheers!🙂👍

Edited by New Order
  • Haha 1

Pictures of my current bikes. The XT will, as mentioned earlier, be traded in for the Tenere.

IMG_20190619_190707_358.jpg

IMG_20190718_195437_125.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shaneygrog said:

The T7 should do fine on both those roads!

Definitely. The roads up here in northern Sweden is pretty bad. And the smaller roads with tarmac is full with potholes. And a Teneres suspension will be superior there.

But the nine is my first bike, and someone mentioned that You never sell your first bike. I don't know about that. Perhaps I trade it in to a new(er) Bonnie or Speed twin next year. Time will tell. I am a sucker for Triumphs classic line. 

The wait is almost over. I just have to go to the dealer and take a look. It isn't assembled and ready for delivery. But I just have to see it.🙂👍

My bike wasn't quite ready for delivery, but I had to see it. Can't wait to drive it. After sitting on it and looking at the details and the construction of it, I'm glad that I have been patient. This will be a perfect bike for me.

IMG_20190726_163856_516.jpg

IMG_20190726_163856_497.jpg

• Like 2

Hi new order,

Have you picked up your Tenere yet?

How's it going? 

Please share more photos and ride stories. We are curious to hear your thoughts on the bike and excited for you to have gotten yours so quick. 

Cheers Marty