Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Shock question

A A Ron

Question

Should this collar/bushing at the top of the shock in the middle of the picture be removable?  Mine doesn't rotate.

20201206_130836.jpg

8 answers to this question

It's not meant to rotate it's a rose type joint that swivels slightly, if you put a bar through it you should be able to move it on the end.  Are designed to allow for angular changes rather than rotation 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ktmmitch said:

It's not meant to rotate it's a rose type joint that swivels slightly, if you put a bar through it you should be able to move it on the end.  Are designed to allow for angular changes rather than rotation 

Thanks for the quick response very helpful.  When I reinstall the shock and linkage should I put grease on the threads of bolts.  Seems like torque specs are for dry threads.

3 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

Haven't seen it close up but from the picture it looks more like a simple rubber bush than a spherical bearing.

Could be wrong.

• Like 1

Could you take some measurement and pictures of your shock before you reinstall it ?  I posted a request for such in the suspension forum.

Thanks

So I put a small amount of waterproof grease on the bolts/collars to prevent wear/corrosion.  I didn't add any grease to the bearings themselves as they looked like they had enough already.  I also put lithium grease on the oils seals as indicated in the service manual.

The front most bearing in the linkage had some tan waxy hard substance in it as shown in the pic below.  Anybody know what that's all about?

Though the linkage assembly did not have an abundance of grease I think I could have just left it alone for a good long while.  I'm at 600 miles now.  In another thread folks are reporting that the linkage bolts and collars are in bad shape fairly early on.  

20201206_132430.jpg