Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any mountain bikers out there?

DT675

I’ve been riding  non-motorized 2 wheels for years now too.  Last year I got into winter biking with a fatty. Loving it!  What a great way to enjoy winter. This was about a 4.5 mile loop I do often. Not too long. I did a 14 mile loop a week ago and admit that one kicked my butt! Knees destroyed!  Super fun though. 

37DC2DE0-E479-42EC-BB3A-49D73A53201C.thumb.jpeg.11cb0b6fd13ade41d768adceb86516af.jpeg

7A5EC9C7-D78C-40B4-A610-39EEA663CA3A.thumb.jpeg.79f4faae782cf6d041f8043daf54f40e.jpeg

0577A189-84F3-4138-8AF9-B3EE191A1222.thumb.jpeg.168fca55e50c856b9ddede21b50e097b.jpeg

• Like 3

• Supporting Vendor

I just sold my Cooker Maxi fatty a few weeks back.  LOVED that bike and hauled the kids around in the carrier for almost 2,000 miles of singletrack and gravel.

Getting older everyday, I moved back to a full squish again this year and I've been loving the geometry, even for something a lot of diehards scoff at...

spacer.png

961362084_468x60Stoltec.png.007fa8bc922e0e30cea1cde037ff2aa2.png

stoltecmoto.com | 610.252.7232

The Stoltec Moto Build Thread

That sounds good! The best bike is always the one your riding! I had a real nice Giant Anthem 4.0 29er with fox front and rear that I absolutely loved but sold it for the fatty to be able to ride year round.  I don’t regret buying the fat bike but I wish I still had that Giant.  Was such a great bike and fit me so well. 

I ride a Canyon Spectral 8.0. Had a Specialized before. 

As it's "not really allowed" to ride a motorbike in the forests here, I mostly tend to get my offroad thrills on my MTB. I also have to admid, I ride a lot crazier on my MTB than on my motorbikes as I feel like it won't kill me that fast. But in the end, that might not be true.

IMG_20160313_140005.thumb.jpg.77a57e2b4ad8355fec9b64f608b81cec.jpg

• Like 1

Long time MTBer...although haven't been riding that much lately, as I've been riding dirt bike a lot. Twisting a throttle has a lot of appeal. 

006.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 5:33 AM, qInvention said:

As it's "not really allowed" to ride a motorbike in the forests here, I mostly tend to get my offroad thrills on my MTB. I also have to admid, I ride a lot crazier on my MTB than on my motorbikes as I feel like it won't kill me that fast. But in the end, that might not be true.

IMG_20160313_140005.thumb.jpg.77a57e2b4ad8355fec9b64f608b81cec.jpg

Awesome pic!  Sad to hear Of your lac of off-road Riding areas.

Your description on mountain bikes explains why I raced enduros And not motocross!  Less speed to kill me by. I’d rather case a tree than a Triple. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:32 AM, sracer said:

Long time MTBer...although haven't been riding that much lately, as I've been riding dirt bike a lot. Twisting a throttle has a lot of appeal. 

006.JPG

Nice looking bike. I’ve been trying to get a buddy of mine to try clip on pedal but no go!  Like many 1st timers he’s afraid of getting stuck in them in a fall. He’s missing out on his “next level” imo. 

Here’s a couple from a week ago. Snow is getting deep. I was the 1st biker after a snowstorm and had to play connect the dots with the few hiker tracks. The hikers tracks are both a blessing and a curse.  I need them when the snow gets deep to help me get through but they make it rough when it’s gets packed.  

2E342D1A-C638-409B-B0EB-B7082D880BF9.thumb.jpeg.4184a6a2346bb597db9f332b21c4c17b.jpeg

5A2EE247-6F6B-47B0-AF85-4733B00E96E2.thumb.jpeg.c63a0538b9c40ee87c711d83d77eaa49.jpeg

• Like 1

Heck Yeah!!!

Great thread DT675!!!

Born and raised in Minnesota so its nice seeing pics of the home land. 

Good to see other riders as well. 

I LIVE to mtn bike and ski, hence why I moved to Bellingham, Washington years ago and never looked back. Ride and race AM enduro class and a few XC class all summer, albeit this last summer with Covid all sanctioned races were canceled. 

Mt.Baker is absolutely epic for skiing, and we have a killer mountain bike area here called Galbraith Mountain. It's 2 miles from my house and is world class mountain biking. Everything from double blacks, trials, free ride, XC to pump and jump line trails. It's run by the WMBC, all non profit and us members all dig in to build and repairs trails. 

Check some lines out on youtube. Just absolutely epic riding and if any of you mags that ride get out to Bellingham, hit me up and I'll show you some fun lines. 

Here's a couple just fun trails around here. 

Taking the dogs for a run on a trail called Backcountry Loop, 12 miles of good climbs and fast berms. And then the other coming down Stevens Ski Area, which is new to downhill riding that you throw your bike on the ski lift and carry you to the top and ride back down multiple runs of different skill levels. Some great jump lines and fast banks. Just epic big mountain downhill. 

Following this thread to see where other people ride. 

Cheers

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_7570.jpg

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 4
On 12/17/2020 at 3:33 AM, qInvention said:

You cant' ride dirt bikes in the woods over there? 

I had no idea. I cant' imagine living in that reality as I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 8. Just here in Washington State, there's so much offload and wooded riding you could spend you entire life riding every weekend and never once hit the same trail twice. Then there's Idaho, Oregon, California and 46 other States to ride. It's literally endless and goes from Tundra, Alpine, Dessert, Coastal, Temperate, Arid.....whatever you want to ride, it's here. 

You ever come to the States, look me up the riding, both Mountain Bike and dirt bike is incredible and I'll show some trail. 

17 hours ago, DT675 said:

Awesome pic!  Sad to hear Of your lac of off-road Riding areas.

Your description on mountain bikes explains why I raced enduros And not motocross!  Less speed to kill me by. I’d rather case a tree than a Triple. 

The picture shows Larochette, a village built around its medieval castle which was first built in the 11th century. It is only a 5 minutes' ride away from Meysembourg, which was shown on this forum by member @CGras in this thread: 

• Like 1

Am a life long MTB rider but new to twisting a throttle. I do most of my enduro trails in West Bragg Creek just outside of Calgary, Alberta and get the adrenalin fix at my local shuttle destination-Baseline Mountain. That mountain is burly and wild, with little regard to runout areas and what should be considered steep, so a fantastic time. Needless to say we ride fully armoured on some.of it's trails. As for the stable, I ride old rigs as I tend to break things that are not made for "stout" folks. 😀

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

20181030_215114.jpg

IMG_20190601_192049_372.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 12/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, johnnygolucky said:

You cant' ride dirt bikes in the woods over there? 

I had no idea. I cant' imagine living in that reality as I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 8. Just here in Washington State, there's so much offload and wooded riding you could spend you entire life riding every weekend and never once hit the same trail twice. Then there's Idaho, Oregon, California and 46 other States to ride. It's literally endless and goes from Tundra, Alpine, Dessert, Coastal, Temperate, Arid.....whatever you want to ride, it's here. 

You ever come to the States, look me up the riding, both Mountain Bike and dirt bike is incredible and I'll show some trail. 

My interpretation is "you're not allowed to" is close but not equal to "you can't" 😉

In Europe, most countries are quite strict on that matter. In Luxembourg it's not allowed for motorized vehicles to enter a forest, unless, of course, it's for forest/timber works or for hunting purposes. Same in Belgium an Germany as far as I know. 

France is a bit less strict on most matters.

In september I took part in the Hardalpi Tour 2020 :

hatserieslogo.png

Hardalpitour HAT Sanremo-Sestriere 4-6 September 2020 – 12^ Edition THE BIGGEST ADVENTOURING EVENT It reaches its 12th edition the legendary HARDALPITOUR that, thanks to the constant participation of about 500 motorcyclists from over 15 countries, can be defined as the...

That's a tour in Italy which for a certain portion leads you on old military trails through the alps. That's unthinkable of in most other western european countries. 

In Austria you can't even ride a mountainbike through the woods, unless it's a marked MTB path. 

I'm jaleous reading about your possibilities when it comes to offroading... 

cheers!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, qInvention said:

My interpretation is "you're not allowed to" is close but not equal to "you can't" 😉

In Europe, most countries are quite strict on that matter. In Luxembourg it's not allowed for motorized vehicles to enter a forest, unless, of course, it's for forest/timber works or for hunting purposes. Same in Belgium an Germany as far as I know. 

France is a bit less strict on most matters.

In september I took part in the Hardalpi Tour 2020 :

hatserieslogo.png

Hardalpitour HAT Sanremo-Sestriere 4-6 September 2020 – 12^ Edition THE BIGGEST ADVENTOURING EVENT It reaches its 12th edition the legendary HARDALPITOUR that, thanks to the constant participation of about 500 motorcyclists from over 15 countries, can be defined as the...

That's a tour in Italy which for a certain portion leads you on old military trails through the alps. That's unthinkable of in most other western european countries. 

In Austria you can't even ride a mountainbike through the woods, unless it's a marked MTB path. 

I'm jaleous reading about your possibilities when it comes to offroading... 

cheers!

I had no idea is was that strict. No idea. It really does make it feel like we're still the wild west. 

Sometime I wonder if the grass is greener on the other side. 

At least here in the States we can just about rip through as much green grass on dirt bikes and mountain bikes as we want. LOL. 

But I hear you blokes make great fish and chips. So there's that. 

You ever get to the Evergreen State, let me know. I know where the good trails and the good beers are. 

Cheers!

• Haha 1

Ahhh... Nice thread... I've just started mtb biking... So m uch fun... Some pictures from my rides around local trails and forest's.. 

IMG_20210102_115027.jpg

IMG_20210103_113401.jpg

IMG_20201230_142037.jpg

IMG_20210103_114135.jpg

IMG_20210103_105359.jpg

IMG_20210103_113633.jpg

• Like 4

Great thread and great pics! As my username suggests, I live in the Santa Cruz mtns and I've been in love with MTB's longer than moto. Heres a few pics of my Giant Reign in the mountains, with an obligatory enduro moto pic. Cheers!

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_9326.JPEG

IMG_2764.PNG

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Be careful @Aleksandar13, getting into off-road riding mountain bikes just might get you to want to take that T7 for a rip off-road! 😉

Off road mtb is so much fun and I bet that the off road with a motorcycle is fun as well but my T700 is a queen on the road and she will not be taken off road... Maybe a crf300l or something lighter in the future... 👍 

Aleks 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was riding motorcycles before Mtn Bikes became a "thing".

My wife was training for a world championship kayak race that was to be held in MD in 1989. She started training several years before and someone suggested she get a bicycle to improve her aerobic capacity. She thought we should both get bikes and my reply was that i had a perfectly good bike with a motor in the garage.

We ended up buying a couple of the 1st gen Stumpjumpers and got into mtn bike racing in WV and MD, buying road bikes and doing century rides, and doing some long tours.

I got more into riding trials motorcycles in the mid 90s and only rode a little to keep in shape. I'm still riding my Fat City Cycles Monster Fat from 1988. I have been thinking about a newer bike with suspension lately.

spacer.png

I've also got this to abuse myself with;

Echo Trials Bike 2018-03-13 004.JPG

Edited by norton73
  • Like 4

That's awesome!  And awesome training!  That's exactly how I got my buddy (one who got me into racing eduros/ hare scrambles) into mountain bikes- with the idea of it being great training. But, as I knew he would, he got completely hooked. Now he rides more than me 😆

• 4 months later...

As a BC resident, mountain biking is practically in the blood. The cranking culture is rampant here  & continues to expand. World class trail networks cover so much of the province you could damn near ride away a lifetime & still not cover them all. This is where much of the world comes to ride. The iconic Whistler & North shore are just a sample of what’s available. When not twisting throttle, I’m cranking pedals. It’s the way of life up here.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Big Time " My drug of choice" ... about to finish my new  FreeRide/ bike Park "DreamBuild" Spesh Enduro 29er full CF - New arrow 4 the quiver.

Yeti A.R.C 29er XC

EVIL the INSURGENT 27.5 the HOOLIGAN

SPECIALIZED ENDURO 29er the SCALPEL 

20210831_105349.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_20210902_170554_470.jpeg

thumbnail_GarminConnect_20210911-140002.jpeg

thumbnail_20220821_140640.jpeg

thumbnail_20221224_112234.jpeg

20220430_160027.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_20181121_181913_082.jpeg