Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

chain and sprocket replacement

Mwalk

Question

Has anyone replaced their chain and sprockets yet?  How many miles did you get out of them? Thanks

Edited by Mwalk
wrong topic location

Note the difference? WOW...

Looks like a 17 year old kid with no job owned that bike!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

For those of you that have made the 520 chain & sprocket replacement on your T7, kindly post up links and part numbers. There are those of us who are interested in what has actually been used successfully ( plus some of us are lazy).  Mileage at the time of replacement would also be useful.  Thanks!

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

23 hours ago, AZJW said:

For those of you that have made the 520 chain & sprocket replacement on your T7, kindly post up links and part numbers. There are those of us who are interested in what has actually been used successfully ( plus some of us are lazy).  Mileage at the time of replacement would also be useful.  Thanks!

Sprocket Center is dedicated to being the world's premium provider of motorcycle drive-train. We have more sprocket&chain combinations available than any other retailer today. Contact us to find out more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/11/2020 at 4:29 AM, Mwalk said:

Has anyone replaced their chain and sprockets yet?  How many miles did you get out of them? Thanks

About 25.000 km on mine now. Replaced the front sprocket at 12.000 km. They seem okay (no stiff links) but going to replace them because I want to ride the summer with n extra maintenance. Remember to replace the axle nut also.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

Has anyone geared their T7 higher for a longer road trip?  I've already gone to a 16T CS sprocket and thinking of reducing the rear from a 46T to a 45T for an Alaska trip this summer.  This will be my 4th trip north and planning only road miles with some gravel roads such as the Denali Hwy.  Hoping to improve the fuel economy by reducing the rpm's at highway speed.  The MT-07 with the same motor is geared 16/43.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 12:25 AM, Too Tall said:

Has anyone geared their T7 higher for a longer road trip?  I've already gone to a 16T CS sprocket and thinking of reducing the rear from a 46T to a 45T for an Alaska trip this summer.  This will be my 4th trip north and planning only road miles with some gravel roads such as the Denali Hwy.  Hoping to improve the fuel economy by reducing the rpm's at highway speed.  The MT-07 with the same motor is geared 16/43.

Thoughts?

I havent yet but plan to swap to a 16t front sprocket for a 2 week all pavement trip I have in july. Im hoping to drop the rpms a bit for the long highway riding.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 2:50 PM, AZJW said:

check out one of my other threads. its all there.

On 1/5/2021 at 5:41 PM, roy826 said:

Unfortunately I discovered a counter shaft seal oil leak when doing mine. I plan to address that at a later date as it is not that bad and still under factory warranty. May repair it myself since the parts are only $30 US and $80 is I spring for the fancy motion pro seal removal tool.

Hi Roy. After a few kilometers on the new T7 I put on a 16 front sprocket (the one without the rubber) from OTR. I was surprised how very tight is was to get on. When I now decided to change back to my 15 I managed to bend the sprocket shaft seal so now there is a bit of leakage. 🙄 - I know, entirely my bad, and should be unnecessary - learning as I go (hopefully before things get too expensive).

Changing the Sprocket shaft seal, you reckon it should be quite straight forward, or better ask the dealer to do it (I have the first service booked in  a couple f days)?

What do you guys think?

Edited by Chev.

This was the one fitted:

KRI-T700-525-15-Kettenritzel-Stahl-525-Y

Front sprockets Yamaha Tenere 700 made of high-grade steel with 525 pitch. Like almost all motorbikes in series trimm, the Tenere 700's transmission…

However now (at least for the time being) replaced with the original 15T again. However, as mentioned, now my seal is seeping 🙄 - Yes, I do know ho to blame! 🤨

I believe this is the part I am about to replace, part number 93102-40030-00:

image.png.6637f6204b1cec6c50c6d9cf74391df1.png

Ypou reckon it would simply be to pull the old one out and pushing the new in there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chev. said:

I believe this is the part I am about to replace, part number 93102-40030-00:

image.png.6637f6204b1cec6c50c6d9cf74391df1.png

Ypou reckon it would simply be to pull the old one out and pushing the new in there?

It appears you could change it out without too much trouble.  I would attempt it.  If the seal is damaged I guess it should be replaced.

3 hours ago, Landshark said:

It appears you could change it out without too much trouble.  I would attempt it.  If the seal is damaged I guess it should be replaced.

Thanks! 👍 Seal ordered. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

The new seal had to be back-ordered, so it didn't arrive before a few days a ago. And then I needed to wait some days to find the possibility for some quiet time - in order to increase chances for not causing more destruction to the bike 🤨 Today was the day!

I had figured the first thing was to find a way to pull the old, damaged seal. I thought I could use a screw for that. But I had seen from the new seal that it has a metal sheath on the inside. By coincidence I had some small metal penetrating screws lying around, so I used one of those first to make a hole, and then entered a longer screw to get a grip with some pliers.

So far, so good:

20220521_121015198_iOS.jpg.49a4718a45109d81e8ccd911bada1d69.jpg

Have to admit I was quite nervous! Felt like an idiot (and rightly so) for having caused the problem in the first place, and was quite anxious not to increase the damage further. I was so happy, and almost surprised, when the seal let go and came out. This could perhaps work! 🙂👍🙂

One clearly sees the damages to the seal - but it did come out:

20220521_121024949_iOS.jpg.c6e841a15c674d18ed014c4c64de865e.jpg

20220521_121040699_iOS.jpg.1a560ce26a1c562313a30060bd3a7949.jpg

No damages to the bearing:

20220521_121049808_iOS.jpg.15a30b1c1fa7ef6a750dc42a97da5d62.jpg

New seal:

20220521_121503527_iOS.jpg.f321b529d723262b6a2bbd42e4bb74a6.jpg

Carefully pushing/knocking the outer edge of the seal to get in place:

20220521_122019142_iOS.jpg.94f6eb1f0a5d11fd1f82354143d7bdfe.jpg

I paid attention not to push the seal too far inn, only to set it completely flush along the edge, just as the old one was sitting

I did it! 🙂:

20220521_122307286_iOS.jpg.78b8a539224b57194a5b4b4660f6b560.jpg

It all appeared to have been a success (after the initial immature adventures)! No leaks or other signs of mishaps. Had a quite extensive test ride when done. All seem good!

I am happy and relieved, promising to myself to be more considerate, trying to avoid more stupid mistakes. But I also do feel I have learned from this. The mechanical aspects are one part of that. But I have also been reminded that whenever I see someone doing something I think is stupid, I will try to beer with it. Yes, we all do mistakes - at least some of us! 😀

What isn't there to be learned from living with a motorcycle! 👍 Thankful that this time it ended well for me! 🙂

Edited by Chev.
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Chev. said:

trying to avoid more stupid mistakes

Keep trying, i have many years experience but i still make stupid mistakes but like you said... you only learn from it.
When you don't learn anything anymore you probably are dead or have no reason to live left, but that's my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chev. said:

Have to admit I was quite nervous!

And now you know the feeling of VICTORY!!!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Same technique I used when I changed one out on a dr650. It is a nervous feeling putting a screw in it like that but it works.

Congratulations on a successful repair.  Good job.  

2 hours ago, Landshark said:

Congratulations on a successful repair.  Good job.  

Thanks Landshark! 👍 And for your encouragement in the first place! 😀 It made a difference. 👍

• Like 1

Did my chain/sprockets at about 32k kms. Probably didn't need it, but it had done a couple long trips, lots of dirt, dust, mud, etc. The Yamaha oem kit comes with the chain already linked together! Not clip link, no rivet link. Fully looped. Huge pain in the ass, as you basically have to take the whole rear end/swing arm off if you want to go that route. Better off getting aftermarket chain.