Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Grip glue test for heated grips

KennethO

I recently received my OEM Yamaha heated grips for my Tenere 700.  Before getting them, I researched the best glue to use for heated grips and found that just about everything had been used from hairspray to superglue to JB Weld.  There were lots of positive results and several negatives to each one.  I just wanted to find a glue that I would, hopefully, only have to apply one time.  For most of the ones that I researched, even JB Weld, I did find instances where the glues did not hold.  The one glue that I saw mentioned a few times where I couldn't find a failure was 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive.  

I bought a small tube of the 3M stuff at the local auto parts store.  I had an old ProTaper pillow top grip (left grip) and a set of handlebars from a CRF250L.  I put the adhesive on the bar end, not completely covering the bar, and a small amount around the opening the grip, and then slid it on.  I left it undisturbed for 24 hours. 

Just past the 24-hour mark, I used a Wagner power stripper and started applying heat.  I didn't just heat the grip, I also heated about 2 inches of the bar above the grip.  I started with low heat and held the heat gun about six inches away, which is probably close to the heat of the grip on HI.  After a thorough heating, I twisted and could not break the bond.  

I then decided to increase the heat by holding the heat gun closer to the grip.  Still could not break the bond.

In one final test I turned the heat gun to high and heated the grip and the bar to a point that it was too hot to handle barehanded.  With a leather glove on hand, I was able to twist the grip only slightly in the center part of the grip.  The ends still seemed to hold tight.   The amazing part to me is that once the grip cooled the adhesive seemed to set up instantly instead of having to re-cure for 24 hours.  

I think I'm going to try the 3M stuff and see how it goes.

Hope this information helps someone. 

grip.jpg

grip and heat.jpg

grip and adhesive.jpg

• Like 1

Yamabond7 is what the factory uses on oem grips like the Tracer 900 GTs, FJR1300s and Super Tenere.

• Like 1

Don’t use any adhesive on my grips on the initial instal. Compressed air to get on or off. Clean the bars and grips and see if this will work for you

15 minutes ago, ride2little said:

how about removal?  lifetime grips?

So, after I saw your response, I worked to get it off.  I cut the red tip off the grip--it wouldn't be there anyway with bar end weights and barkbusters.  It was difficult to get off, but I used some brake cleaner and was able to break it free.  The ProTaper grip seems completely reusable (except for the tip I cut off, of course).  Not sure how this would work for a stiffer heated grip.

6 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

Don’t use any adhesive on my grips on the initial instal. Compressed air to get on or off. Clean the bars and grips and see if this will work for you

Ok, I might try that first since I can always go back with the adhesive.  Thanks

22 minutes ago, roy826 said:

Yamabond7 is what the factory uses on oem grips like the Tracer 900 GTs, FJR1300s and Super Tenere.

I did see the Yamabond 7 recommendation online and was having trouble finding it, but I just now located it at an online Yamaha OEM parts supplier.

I apologize if this is condescending but check to make sure that if your new grips have different IDs you put the big un on the throttle tube.

Only say this because ,yes, I have done it  wrong.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Time for heated grips install, a job I have not undertaken before, The Komine brand grips I've purchased come with a gel type super glue, I'm not convinced this is the best solution, of course i might be wrong and happy to be convinced otherwise, I use many different types of glue in my work and just feel that a polyurethane high temp type might be better.

My other question/ concern is glueing to the throttle side, I'm assuming any removal at a later date would conclude the lifespan of the throttle tube assembly and incur an outrageous Yamaha replacement cost, is this just part of heated grips situation?

If you were unable to remove the grip at a later time the throttle tube is available separately and is not terribly expensive. 

There are other throttle tubes like those from a R6 which will also work and readily available used.  

• Thanks 1

3M Rubber And Vinyl 80 Spray Adhesive

The glue works very well. No issues after about 7 months since mounting the heated grips.

When removing the original grips, I tried using compressed air - per the instructions :-),  but found that using a small, long, flat blade screwdriver was much easier in order to break the bond between the original grips and the handlebar.

I had a heck of time getting the Oxford heated grips to stick to my S10. Particularly the left side. Initially used the super glue that came with them but that failed on both sides. I tried the Hair Spray thing and that held on the right side but not on the left.  I tried everything, Even the Yamaha glue. What I realized was the grip was like half a mm to big. Slipped on super easy. My solution was. to wrap the bar with Tyvek tape then I used red high temp RTV. Its been holding since.

I have a set of OEM grips for the T7 but probably wont bother putting them on till the fall. 

• 1 month later...

I used straight up clear gorilla glue to get my heated grips on. Made sure the bars were clean and dry, good amount of glue, LET IT CURE according to the package, and 20000km's later (and sitting outside for at least 7 months), I've had 0 issues.  

Thanks for the input on glues.

So...I can atest to the strength of the glue that came with my Komine heated grips, I decided to go ahead and use it anyway, a major fork up ensued, putting on the left grip first I applied glue started sliding on the grip, as it went on excess glue was dripping so I reached over the other side of the bike to get a rag, quick wipe,push, stuck solid half way!!

Yep.... destroyed it trying to remove 🥺😠🤮

New set required, luckily I purchased the grips online from an Australian  company who were extremely helpful and supplied the second set at cost and delivered asap so I could ride the following weekend! Thanks zarkie.com.au.

Anyways all good now great grips, very happy although a little embarrassed.

oem heated grips slipped like a mofo so i used what i've always used on my dirtbikes - my can of clearcoat spray paint. been sticking so far and i just removed the grips to change bars and it was a bit of a hassle to free it up. i like the spray paint cause there's always some around and it makes it slide on nicely for a real easy install

• Like 1

I had a heck of time getting the Oxford grips to stick to the clutch side of my Super Tenere. The Super Glue it came with broke loose after  first ride ( both sides). Tried hair spay, that held and is holding on the throttle side but the clutch side just kept breaking loose. Yes they are on the correct side. I tried a lot of different glues and even the Yamaha glue which was the worst.  What I discovered was the grip was maybe a half mm too big. I cleaned the bar off really well then wrapped it in one layer of Tyvek tape. Then I glued the grip on using high temp  RTV silicone. This is the red stuff made for engine gaskets so its designed to take very high temperatures. 

Its been several month and the grips are solid heat on or off.