Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Black Dog Helo Pad rack for T7 is now available

GreatDistances

Looks like the BCDW "Helo Pad" rack is shipping as of today.  Interesting option as a rear rack + pillion seat replacement.  $205 US presently. 

I don't really¬†know anything about the rack so don't quiz me, I'm just a window shopper like you ūüôā

T7_Helo_TopSide_web__04171.1607986430.50

The ULTIMATE in adventure motorcycle armor! Black Dog Cycle Works products are designed and made in the U.S. Armor, lighting solutions, platform footpegs and rugged luggage. BDCW products are what any serious motorcycle adventurer needs when they're exploring the backcountry

• Like 4

Thanks! This is just what I am looking for. Wish I could find more pictures of this on a bike but from a distance. Looking forward to hearing how this works for folks.

17 minutes ago, NvNick said:

How does the Black Dog rack attach ?

"

Removes in Seconds
Secures into the passenger seat mechanism and is supported by the frame."

Looks like it replaces the passenger seat section judging by the description.  I'd like to see more pics too.

Man, the price really jumped up on this rack all of a sudden.  It's now at $269 US, "discounted" $20 from a list price of $289.  Hope some of you got that comparatively great $205 deal when this item was first made available.

10 hours ago, GreatDistances said:

Man, the price really jumped up on this rack all of a sudden.  It's now at $269 US, "discounted" $20 from a list price of $289.  Hope some of you got that comparatively great $205 deal when this item was first made available.

Seriously, what's up with that?

I was searching the forum for rear racks and saw your first post with the $205 price, but then went to the Black Dog site and see that it's now at $270.  Hmm...

Edited by Seventh Son

• 2 weeks later...

Based on previous posts, this thing looked perfect for what I needed, so I took the plunge and paid the higher price ($269).  I don't like how most racks stick out over the end of the bike, or the sides, especially since I'm going to be doing a camel adv tail tidy soon.  I just got the helo pad today, and have to say, it is exactly what I was looking for.  Yes, it does indeed replace the rear seat and it latches in just like the seat does.  You use your key to unlatch it and remove it, no screwdriver or wrench needed.  It works perfect with my Mosko Moto Reckless 10 side bags, giving me a place to strap them down in the back now with the slots on the helo pad.  It also has slots on the side for my tail bag to strap down to.  The only bummer is the touratech grab handles did not fit with the helo pad on...but - since the helo is literally locked in like the rear seat, I figure I can use the slots for a hand hold if needed, it's a good slab of metal.  I may look into other grab handles down the road, or just put some pannier racks on. 

Anyway, I usually don't write comments, but this thing actually does what it says, and they got it to me in less than a week. 

IMG_5415.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor

Hello All

Thanks for the review DesertChicken. Glad you are happy with the rack.

As for the price increase - somehow this rack was priced incorrectly to start which was only caught later. With all the components of the rack, it is quite expensive to make at at $289 (full retail price) the margins are still low. We will keep it at $269 for the first batch to motivate people to pull the trigger and to get more customer feedback out there.

This is a high quality piece of kit made from 1/4" 6061 aluminum with the convenient on and off feature which we think will meet the needs of a lot of solo riders.

I hope that provides some clarity about the pricing. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Thanks for your support

Kurt

• Supporting Vendor

Here is a shot of the underside of the BDCW Helo Pad. We replicated the bottom of the passenger seat so the Helo Pad and passenger seat can be swapped in seconds using they mechanism. We also support the rack to the frame so the key mechanism is not a stress point. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks for your support

Kurt

T7_Helo_Assembled.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 12:15 PM, BlackDogCW said:

Here is a shot of the underside of the BDCW Helo Pad. We replicated the bottom of the passenger seat so the Helo Pad and passenger seat can be swapped in seconds using they mechanism. We also support the rack to the frame so the key mechanism is not a stress point. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks for your support

Kurt

T7_Helo_Assembled.jpg

Thanks for posting here.

It's quite frustrating, I emailed BDCW for more details on mounting. They never replied me, and why aren't these type of detailed photos posted on the website?. 

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, bmacw said:

Thanks for posting here.

It's quite frustrating, I emailed BDCW for more details on mounting. They never replied me, and why aren't these type of detailed photos posted on the website?. 

Hi Bmacw - My apologies for missing your email. Not sure how that happened but i will be honest it does happen rarely. We don't have more detailed photos on our website because it make it that much easier for our competitors to copy our designs - which happens often, especially on newer bikes.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. My apologies again for missing your email

Kurt

3 minutes ago, BlackDogCW said:

Hi Bmacw - My apologies for missing your email. Not sure how that happened but i will be honest it does happen rarely. We don't have more detailed photos on our website because it make it that much easier for our competitors to copy our designs - which happens often, especially on newer bikes.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. My apologies again for missing your email

Kurt

No problem. What you said about preventing people stealing design makes total sense to me.  I'm a huge fan of your products. Now just get the foot pegs ready so I can get them in one box :)!

One more question, Does the kit come with anything to plug those 4 holes?

• Supporting Vendor
15 minutes ago, bmacw said:

No problem. What you said about preventing people stealing design makes total sense to me.  I'm a huge fan of your products. Now just get the foot pegs ready so I can get them in one box :)!

One more question, Does the kit come with anything to plug those 4 holes?

Thanks for your understanding. Believe me, we are working diligently on the footpegs

We don't supply anything to plug the 4 holes that are pre-drilled for rotopax. Really not necessary since that compartment is not weatherproof.

@bmacw - I'd suggest black, self adhesive vinyl to cover the holes if you are not going to use them. A full roll is cheap and you wouldn't have little plugs to lose or get caught on stuff.

• Like 1

Dumb question that I probably already know the answer to but.....will the Adventure Spec luggage racks work with the BDCW Helo Pad?   Trying to keep my T7 as light as possible even when carrying luggage.  How much weight is the BDCW Pad designed to carry?   

• Supporting Vendor
On 1/16/2021 at 3:09 PM, reywal9121 said:

Dumb question that I probably already know the answer to but.....will the Adventure Spec luggage racks work with the BDCW Helo Pad?   Trying to keep my T7 as light as possible even when carrying luggage.  How much weight is the BDCW Pad designed to carry?   

I don't see any issue with the side carrier from ADV Spec. We don't use the same mounting points.

As for weight, the Helo Pad rests of the frame and is made of 1/4" 6061 Aluminum so it will handle plenty of weight. If you are doing a lot of off-road with whoops, I would recommend strapping the load to the bike so it doesn't stress the key mechanism with an upward movement of the load.

• 1 month later...

I have the Helo Pad. The craftsmanship is superb. It fits very well and is secure. I have strapped several payloads with it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my Helo pad today and installed it. It is the perfect rack for me. Will work great with the  Reckless 80 and also a great platform for a tail bag. 
I had originally vacillated on getting one since I had been planning on getting a rally seat, but realized I never sit that far back. 

only thing I would change or add to it is some foam  between it and the bike to keep dirt and mud from getting under it.   Going to get some foam weatherstripping to use as a dirt and dust shield. 

On 12/21/2020 at 7:30 AM, POLISHADAM82 said:

I guess they trying to make $$$ before the hype dies off

If you somehow haven't heard, the price of metal materials shot up like crazy in 2020. Hell, even plain pvc pipe went up 30%, all raw materials have. Look at pressure treated lumber prices, too.  He cant build sell these for those old days prices anymore, nobody can. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, Liquidape said:

Just got my Helo pad today and installed it. It is the perfect rack for me. Will work great with the  Reckless 80 and also a great platform for a tail bag. 
I had originally vacillated on getting one since I had been planning on getting a rally seat, but realized I never sit that far back. 

only thing I would change or add to it is some foam  between it and the bike to keep dirt and mud from getting under it.   Going to get some foam weatherstripping to use as a dirt and dust shield. 

Finally got around to adding the weather stripping

7FA00478-4D18-4175-B23D-D5C6B5BD106E.thumb.jpeg.af40b92b93b6fdb0f0d53455a94101e0.jpegE2BFF673-E017-4AB5-8174-8384B4613E9D.thumb.jpeg.bc4479bd4201420d2b20ccb70910084d.jpeg96872D0D-117F-4C86-BDED-0DA1CDBEF549.thumb.jpeg.377727943207b3fb5fbaf2409dc21bc2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A note from my install: I found that after a short while a squeaking sound developed. It ended up that this was from the Helo Pad’s stainless guide pin running up and down in the bike’s formed metal socket. I greased the guide pin and no more squeaking for now. 

Not sure if the guide pin could be made out of Delrin or something instead or if it would wear too much. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor
On 5/20/2021 at 5:34 AM, deffjaniels said:

A note from my install: I found that after a short while a squeaking sound developed. It ended up that this was from the Helo Pad’s stainless guide pin running up and down in the bike’s formed metal socket. I greased the guide pin and no more squeaking for now. 

Not sure if the guide pin could be made out of Delrin or something instead or if it would wear too much. 

Thanks for the feedback. I would be concerned that delrin would be strong enough over time as the material would be fairly thin where we thread the bolt into it.

Thanks also for your support

Kurt