Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Highway Dirt Bikes Handguard Install

BLZ2DWL

On 12/22/2020 at 5:18 PM, BLZ2DWL said:

Easy. When you loosen and rotate the line, you will get some air in the top of the line and the master cylinder, but it doesn't go down through the system. Cover the bike and fairing area with rags. I also wrap a rag around the line to catch the fluid. 

• First, remove the master cylinder lid and simply squeeze lever slowly a few times
    • Careful, as the fluid will bubble and you can make a mess if you squeeze too fast.
    • This will get most of the air out of the system.
  • Then:
    • Squeeze lever and hold
    • Crack banjo bolt loose (1/4-1/2 turn should do it), fluid and air will bubble out. 
    • Tighten banjo bolt
    • Release lever
    • Squeeze and release lever a couple times to restore pressure. 
    • Repeat 2-3 times. 

I know this is an older thread but I am in the process of installing a set of HDB guards and will need to rotate the banjo.  I am not that clear on the process.

Based on the above:

a.      Unloosen and remove banjo bolt and rotate to other side of the tab and then re-tighten the banjo bolt.

b.     Remove the master cylinder lid and slowly squeeze lever a few times to release any air

c.      Replace master cylinder lid

d.      Squeeze and hold lever

e.      Crack banjo bolt  1/4-1/2 turn to release more air/fluid

f.       Retighten banjo bolt

g.      Release lever

h.      Squeeze and release lever a couple times to restore pressure

i.         Repeat 2-3 times – This is the step I am not that clear on. I assume you repeat steps d -> h?

Correct: repeat steps d-h a few times. Then check lever pressure. If it feels solid, you're good to go. 

• Thanks 1

Once I mounted the longer HDB swivels off the top clamp, I had enough clearance that I didn’t need to move the banjo bolt at all again, so now it’s in its original position.  I did, however, need to bend my aluminum backbones a bit in a vice to get everything to line up nicely.  YMMV.

18 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Correct: repeat steps d-h a few times. Then check lever pressure. If it feels solid, you're good to go. 

I moved the banjo and then removed the lid and squeezed a few times.  It felt solid just doing that so I didn't re-crack the banjo.  Will take it for a spin and try it out. 

• 2 months later...

FYI - I just got my handguards today.  I asked Chad and I was lucky enough to get black anodized handguards (with an upcharge).  He said he had a few more sets available in case anyone is interested.

PXL_20211021_194058682.jpg

PXL_20211021_194110293.jpg

Edited by Frances
Added photos
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 10/21/2021 at 10:35 AM, Frances said:

FYI - I just got my handguards today.  I asked Chad and I was lucky enough to get black anodized handguards (with an upcharge).  He said he had a few more sets available in case anyone is interested.

PXL_20211021_194058682.jpg

PXL_20211021_194110293.jpg

@Frances Got a link to those shorty levers?  I too have the HDB guards and like the look of those levers. Are you happy with them and would you buy them again?  Thx.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

37 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Frances Got a link to those shorty levers?  I too have the HDB guards and like the look of those levers. Are you happy with them and would you buy them again?  Thx.

I bought some generic levers from Amazon and they have been just fine for me.  I have small hands so I appreciate the adjustability.  I also like that they are folding so that if/when I drop the bike, the levers won't break.  Definitely a good $50 spent.

Motorcycle Adjustable Brake Clutch Levers for Yamaha TENERE 700 2019-2020-Black+Black+Black+Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1NFMRD?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2021 at 9:45 PM, GreatDistances said:

Update:  new crush washers and appropriate torque (spec is 30nm on banjo bolt, which felt like a lot to apply) sealed properly and I have brakes again.  I did not need to bleed yet but I'm going to take it easy on first rides just in case.

Moral of the story:  if you plan on messing with the banjo bolt, it may be a good idea to have at least (2) or more fresh crush washers on hand just in case you have the same problem I did.

OEM part number for the banjo crush washers (listed as gaskets on Yamaha parts diagrams) is 90430-10005-00.  You should be able to find these generic at an MC shop for cheaper, so long as you can show them the size you need (which may be tricky without one in hand as an example).

Have you got the measured dimensions for it?

OEM part has no description 🙄