Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
DT675

Changing a tire tube on the road

A A Ron
23 minutes ago, Brent said:

That looks good, you will need a different tool to remove the front tire.  I just took a bolt  that fits into the axel then welded a nut on to it,   Also, the tire on the rear will need a bead breaker.  For some reason they are really tough to break the bead.

@Brent  Thanks.  I've got the Motion Pro hex axle tool (pic below) for the front wheel ... for use with the 27mm combo lever and 3/8" drive adapter.  

If the rear tire turns out to be a bitch to break, I'll pick up the motion pro breaker/tire lever combo wrenches.

image.jpeg.c460379ddb85591e81034fefcbb5f124.jpeg

Moto
Posted (edited)

You totally need a bead breaker in your kit. Getting the stock Pirelli off (rear) was serious work. These are bigger/stiffer tires than your average mx-er, and the beads don't just push off with a little elbow grease...

Actually, the bigger difference is the rim. It's bigger/wider. It has larger 'ribs' to hold the bead than other bikes I've had, like rims for 110/120 tires. Maybe that's why it doesn't need a rim locker.

Edited by Moto
  • Like 1

DT675
On 12/31/2020 at 9:36 AM, Alan M said:

One thing I did read on their website which seemed really good advice was preparation before a long trip. That was to break the tyre beads and re-lube before the trip, will make removal that much easier if you're unfortunate to get a puncture.

This is good advise. It always has seemed to me breaking the factory beat is tough. But breaking a bead of a replaced tire is always much easier. I don't know if i will do this before setting out on some longer trips myself or cross my fingers until i replace the tire naturally. 

• Like 1

2013 Triumph Street Triple - 2013 Triumph Daytona track bike - 2017 Honda CRF250L 

Electric biker

Yes; I had to take the rear wheel to a garage to break the bead on the OEM 150/80 tyre. 

• Like 1

DT675

Dang, thats tough! 

2013 Triumph Street Triple - 2013 Triumph Daytona track bike - 2017 Honda CRF250L