Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What tire combo are you using?

Moto

I've used a set of Goldentyre GT823 knobbies, awesome grip off road and surprisingly grippy on twisties. Front feel is very good. Quite soft compound on very hard carcass, around 5.000km and they were toast. Noisy as they wear. 

Now front Motoz Rallz and a cheap sale Goldentyre GT723. Front Rallz is not as good as the Goldentyre 823 but it is less noisy and lasts way longer. I think I'll get 7000km from the front. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, Moto said:

Any Rallz buyers: The rear is NOISY at highway speeds. 

Edit - Actually, I think MotoZ changed the tread pattern since I bought the Rallz late last year. It looks different now on their website than the one I have. Mine has wider-spaced lugs, more like a MX tire. No wonder it's so noisy (see pic in initial post). 

Comparsion: https://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-rallz-2/

Motoz uses different tread block spacing between the 140 & 150 rear Rallz & slightly different center tread design between the front tube vs tubelss Rallz as seen in this video..I don't think Kyle realizes that the T7 has a 1.85" front rim vs the KTM 2.50"  & the T7 rear is 4.00" vs KTM 4.50"

• Like 3

On 3/8/2021 at 6:12 AM, Matth said:

My new tyres arrived. Went for Motox tractionater Adventure. Flippin eek they look good

37A6D9FC-564A-4295-8E4C-2609D58DE0C7.jpeg

How did these go? They look like a lot of rubber on the road like the stockies, how hard do you push on the twisties and how did these handle it compared to stock? also how do they handle the gravel road?

Hi there. 

Havent fitted them yet, the reports all round look really good, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 6:12 AM, Matth said:

My new tyres arrived. Went for Motox tractionater Adventure. Flippin eek they look good

72D21224-5CA1-4642-BB74-7D56DFB4025E.jpeg

37A6D9FC-564A-4295-8E4C-2609D58DE0C7.jpeg

B48EF388-D0A2-4E1F-B642-5C19A59BEACD.jpeg

Just had my suspension upgrade with KTech option, so up for set of tyres asap, pretty keen on motoz tractionator adventure, anymore feed back on their performance??

• Like 1

Sadly not yet, going for stainless spokes so will be done after that but will let you know tho buddy

On 3/25/2021 at 3:44 AM, Matth said:

Sadly not yet, going for stainless spokes so will be done after that but will let you know tho buddy

Getting a set put on tomorrow, So should be able to let you know first how they perform.

That would be good buddy, I believe they take a bit of running in but would be great to hear how they go for you!

On 3/26/2021 at 6:49 AM, Stevoh said:

Getting a set put on tomorrow, So should be able to let you know first how they perform.

Yes, please let us know what you think.

I'm nearing the end life on my AX-41's, well the rear more so than the front. 

For my next set I'm leaning heavily towards either the Motoz Tractionator Adventure or GPS for the rear, and a Dunlop Trailmax Mission for the front. 

• Moderators

I am two weeks into a set of Pirelli Scorpion Rallys. The front tire hates high speeds and grooved pavement, but has gotten a bit better as they scrub in. Haven't gotten them offroad yet as all the trails are still hard packed with ice. Looking forward to sharing more thoughts soon. Feels so right to finally have proper knobbies on this bike. The more gradual front turn in feeling is immediately apparent vs the STR's.

IMG-5306.thumb.PNG.435cca4cf998cd3d26373bbd0f74a817.PNGIMG-5307.thumb.PNG.d5ea185fd54e732b4515d3209da19ccd.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

1 hour ago, Seventh Son said:

Yes, please let us know what you think.

I'm nearing the end life on my AX-41's, well the rear more so than the front. 

For my next set I'm leaning heavily towards either the Motoz Tractionator Adventure or GPS for the rear, and a Dunlop Trailmax Mission for the front. 

Been on one trail ride with them yesterday, I was extremely impressed, encountered various terrain, rocks, sand, mud, deep puddles, hard packed, handled it all, in fact there were a couple of times I thought  I was going to hit the deck but the front hung in so good!

To fresh for honest road appraisal, I didn't want to push it, but they were suprisingly quiet at road pressure, and same as Tenerecanada mentioned  for the Pirelli in regards to steering.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

Been on one trail ride with them yesterday, I was extremely impressed, encountered various terrain, rocks, sand, mud, deep puddles, hard packed, handled it all, in fact there were a couple of times I thought  I was going to hit the deck but the front hung in so good!

To fresh for honest road appraisal, I didn't want to push it, but they were suprisingly quiet at road pressure, and same as Tenerecanada mentioned  for the Pirelli in regards to steering.

Great feedback, thank you.  The Motoz Adventure sounds promising.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Installed some Dunlop’s Trailsmart Max.

Now the front turns and i feel confident with it! 

Really glad with my purchase, it’s really smooth and perfect for the big country ride i have a few days from now. 👌🏼

Only do road with mine but surely this tires will get along with some light trails. 

3D4BCF99-8A5E-43C2-B27D-C8516B10D307.jpeg

• Like 1

Continental Trail Attack III

Great improvement from the OEM Rally STR in terms of noise and vibration at the handlebar, very apreciate when riding on motorways. Paradoxically, in my opinion a tad less sincere, as with the OEM I felt really and totally connected with the road, with the Conti I'm a bit more rigid. My rides are only asphalt, mainly A and B roads, occasional motorways stretches while travelling.

10 hours ago, marktbike said:

Continental Trail Attack III

Great improvement from the OEM Rally STR in terms of noise and vibration at the handlebar, very apreciate when riding on motorways. Paradoxically, in my opinion a tad less sincere, as with the OEM I felt really and totally connected with the road, with the Conti I'm a bit more rigid. My rides are only asphalt, mainly A and B roads, occasional motorways stretches while travelling.

Harder rubber on the TA3? The marketing makes it sound like they are a "long wear" tire which (to me) sounds like harder rubber. I appreciate the comparison to the stock tires.

FYI for those installing the RallZ Tractionator front tire: I got over 5,000 miles from it before I replaced it. However, because I rode it probably 70% on the highway, it got some wear divots that I trimmed down at one point.  The knobs became excessively sloped and I trimmed them flat again with a razor blade. Should have taken a photo, but maybe that kind of street wear on knobbies is normal. My tire was dynamically balanced after install, and didn't vibrate, so I don't think bad balance made the wear pattern. I just attribute it to heavy bike/street wear/knobby tire.

Overall I was happy with it, especially in the dirt, but since I end up doing at least 50/50 riding most of the time, I went with a better street tire as a replacement. Installed the Shinko Dual Sport 244, but strangely it doesn't say Shinko on the side, it says Golden Boy. In the old days I think these were Cheng Shin tires... I've liked it on my XT500/600s, so we'll see how it works on the T7.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NotGoodAtUsrnms said:

Harder rubber on the TA3? The marketing makes it sound like they are a "long wear" tire which (to me) sounds like harder rubber. I appreciate the comparison to the stock tires.

Probably, as I have ridden just 5,000 km on the TA3, I can't really say if they're going to last much more than the Rally STR. Moreover, I'm very (I mean VERY) easy on gas and brakes and the asphalt in my area is the smoothest and most slippery in the world, so when I swapped the Rally STR at 15,000 km they could even go some more. I'll post more impressions when I'll add some more km to the count.

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, marktbike said:

the asphalt in my area is the smoothest and most slippery in the world

You're from Palermo?
Been there last year on the Honda Crosstourer and it looks like the asphalt is extra hard and polished. Glad it didn't rained as it was already slippery in warm and sunny weather.
But this year i passed through Sophia (Bulgaria) and it's the same there but even more slippery, the traction control worked overtime and kicked in more often just passing through the city than it did in the 80k/km before.
In both cases on Michelin Anakee Adventure tyres which i might fit under the T7 for my trip to the North Cape next July.
Unless i find a more aggressive tyre that will last over 9000km.
Have the Anakee Wild now and Mitas E09 dakar under the XT660Z but both last about 7k i think. The Anakee Wild in the front will last long enough.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:10 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

You're from Palermo?
Been there last year on the Honda Crosstourer and it looks like the asphalt is extra hard and polished. Glad it didn't rained as it was already slippery in warm and sunny weather.
But this year i passed through Sophia (Bulgaria) and it's the same there but even more slippery, the traction control worked overtime and kicked in more often just passing through the city than it did in the 80k/km before.
In both cases on Michelin Anakee Adventure tyres which i might fit under the T7 for my trip to the North Cape next July.
Unless i find a more aggressive tyre that will last over 9000km.
Have the Anakee Wild now and Mitas E09 dakar under the XT660Z but both last about 7k i think. The Anakee Wild in the front will last long enough.

I live some 50 km west of Palermo and the asphalt is the one you describe, even worse...

So yes, the mileage I get from my tires is heavily influenced by the lack of grip it has on the rubber. Too bad...but sometimes we go and ride in Sardinia, where the asphalt has crazy grip, but of course eats up the tires in a few thousands km's...

I have a feeling these are going to be a laughably bad choice, but they might allow me to have some fun this winter!  

FAC0E3B5-62A0-482D-B416-FF14E0903EF4.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Larson627 said:

I have a feeling these are going to be a laughably bad choice, but they might allow me to have some fun this winter!  

FAC0E3B5-62A0-482D-B416-FF14E0903EF4.jpeg

Those will really grip well and give great feel, I ran Mitas c21 front and e12 rear, unfortunately the enduro styled front tyres only last about 1000 miles for me. Are you going to run bib mouse with those? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Potti619 said:

Those will really grip well and give great feel, I ran Mitas c21 front and e12 rear, unfortunately the enduro styled front tyres only last about 1000 miles for me. Are you going to run bib mouse with those? 

I figured as much with the mileage, but that should get me though the wet season! I’m honestly not too familiar with bib mouse, I never used it on my old trail bikes but that was a decade or so ago. Ordered some heavy duty tubes and balancing beads, we’ll see how it goes. 

• Like 1

What do you folks think about a Mitas EO7+ rear combined with a Mitas E-09 or E-10 front?  Tread life?  Front holding up to the rear?  I'll be doing the TAT next summer and it's either this combo or back to the Anakee Wild front and back.  I've used the Anakee Wild a couple times and get nearly 6k miles out of a set so that's plenty for the TAT.  Just thinking about alternatives.

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone. 

On a trip currently, and got a puncture in the rear tire. These are my stock tires and I am on my way to a shop now to get a new rear. The question is, should I get a new front as well?

I love the k60 scouts and the shop has it for the rear but, I am debating whether or not to replace the front as well. You can see the photo here of the front. My main concerns or how well the two would ride together and whether or not it is worth it to get the front new as well at the same time.

Would love some input from y’all! Thank you in advance

81C7F4EC-B859-462A-BCAF-AB0314C33C6A.jpeg

1C7626FA-E5E3-44F8-B288-0F20013C5C11.jpeg