Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How do you run-in your new T7?

prwatts

Question

This should get some discussion going...

I resolve to not exceed 4,000rpm or half throttle for the first hundred miles (160 of those other things - killer-meeters?)  I keep below 50mph which is agony.

Speed up, slow down, lotsa gear changes.  Everything smoooth.  a few quick accelerations to load the rings a bit.

Cycle the engine through temperature, so no ride more than 20 miles then let it cool down.  Now in UK Temperatures are in the mid-20'sC

This is the first bike I have with an ambient temperature reading on the dash.  Nice.

After 100 miles, max rpm 5000, max throttle about 65%, same thing, speed up, slow down, gear changes, temperature cycles, till 300 miles.

Then the last so-called 600 miles ride normally, occasional full throttle accelerations but not exceeding 6000 rpm.

Some guys believe that you "ride it like you nicked it" from Day One.  I have been riding for 40 years and this is my 5th New bike and all my bikes have lived long because of my methods.  But you never know... I have heard of "lazy engine syndrome"

Let the talks begin 😄

Peter, Derby, UK, Bloo T7

• Like 2

You do not want to be too soft on a new engine, the rings wont seat the pistons properly and you will get oil blow by and end up with lower power as a result. 

This is the same engine as the FZ/MT 07 and our members on the mt07 forum have had a lot of luck breaking in this CP2 engine by using the "Moto Man" Method. 

fz07_sharer_logo.png.3fd3e4f66c84e31060f

While factory manuals always state to break in an engine very carefully, alot of people (Including Myself) use the Motoman method of breakin in new engines. It is controversial, because it breaks from what the factory says to do. But, so many guys on ADVrider.com and other Forums have done it thi...

I spend the first 20 miles of an engine reving up, and reving down. Avoiding running at the same RPM, and then at the 20 mile mark I change the oil and Filter. 

• Like 3

Hi all just completed my first 100mi the way i ride my t7 is warm it up before driving, first 50 mi i dident ride over 5k rpm used the gears up and down engine brake, after that a couple of times i have lets say let her rip but not prolonged use over 5k rpm like less that 10 secs at a time as long as your not going mental i see no problem going over the 5k just dont be a silly bugger. theres my 2cents 😛 i have rebuilt dirtbike engines and just leave them to idle for 10 mins shut off then let em cool down and again for a few times, then rip the crap out of them lol sure the yamaha can take it. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:26 AM, prwatts said:

Hi guys, so I have now done about 300km (I know, I'm riding like a girl) because I try and do about 75km a day to cycle the bike thermally.

Luckily I live in Derby with lots of good roads around, and max speed 100 kph so good for a nice ride + running in.

Yesterday I gave it a handfull to overtake on the Matlock Road and went up to ~6,000rpm momentarily, about 120 kph.  For the first time I noticed some engine vibrations.  Below 4,000 rpm it is smooth as silk.

Wind noise/turbs from the screen is not so good unless you are very short.  He who makes a nice screen for this bike will sell lots of them 😄

Jest telling you - I have no comment either way - it is a twin, and I cam off an old GS that have days when it decides to vibrate or run sweet.

I tested a demo bike, no vibration and not much turbulence either. I'm 6'2". Was up running to 160 km/h.

• Premium Member

I rode in twisty roads and lanes and places like this:

• Like 2

On 10/7/2019 at 5:04 PM, Cruizin said:

You do not want to be too soft on a new engine, the rings wont seat the pistons properly and you will get oil blow by and end up with lower power as a result. 

This is the same engine as the FZ/MT 07 and our members on the mt07 forum have had a lot of luck breaking in this CP2 engine by using the "Moto Man" Method. 

fz07_sharer_logo.png.3fd3e4f66c84e31060f

While factory manuals always state to break in an engine very carefully, alot of people (Including Myself) use the Motoman method of breakin in new engines. It is controversial, because it breaks from what the factory says to do. But, so many guys on ADVrider.com and...

I spend the first 20 miles of an engine reving up, and reving down. Avoiding running at the same RPM, and then at the 20 mile mark I change the oil and Filter. 

Did you use Yamalube semi synthetic oil??