Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Suspension

prwatts

2 hours ago, Sandijs said:

I suggest you to go for havier rear spring! I put 85nm spring (i'm 78kg) and it made huge difference!

With the OEM spring could you get to the proper SAG configuration? If you can (and still have room to increase preload to cope with luggage), opting for harder spring is just a personal option, not mandatory.

For the moment I'm still trying to get a proper hydraulic setup (once SAG is now OK). If I cant, I will then consider a new spring, but only if I fing rear shock to soft after revalving to a harder/slower compression setting.

In my forum experience, it seems more people tend to consider the normal setup of the bike a bit stiff in the front and sof in the shock. So might go that way (softer front, harder rear) for the moment as I continue to look for my proper/balanced setup.

Interesting thread!

4 hours ago, djkouross said:

With the OEM spring could you get to the proper SAG configuration? If you can (and still have room to increase preload to cope with luggage), opting for harder spring is just a personal option, not mandatory.

For the moment I'm still trying to get a proper hydraulic setup (once SAG is now OK). If I cant, I will then consider a new spring, but only if I fing rear shock to soft after revalving to a harder/slower compression setting.

In my forum experience, it seems more people tend to consider the normal setup of the bike a bit stiff in the front and sof in the shock. So might go that way (softer front, harder rear) for the moment as I continue to look for my proper/balanced setup.

Interesting thread!

There is little point in changing damping until the sag is correct, or else if you have too much sag, then you are going into the harder part of the rising-rate linkage ratio.

Good explanations on this video, but sag first, damping second.......

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

There is little point in changing damping until the sag is correct, or else if you have too much sag, then you are going into the harder part of the rising-rate linkage ratio.

Good explanations on this video, but sag first, damping second.......

Indeed, first SAG, then everything else. 

Hello, I am John from the Netherlands and I just ordered a T7 which will be delivered in two weeks (I can't sleep until then😁). I am 112 kg in the bathroom so I am sure I need stiffer springs. I do not like progressive springs and I do not understand them. However, I can't find any linear springs on the web, everybody only offers progressive ones. Am I missing anything?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnV said:

Hello, I am John from the Netherlands and I just ordered a T7 which will be delivered in two weeks (I can't sleep until then😁). I am 112 kg in the bathroom so I am sure I need stiffer springs. I do not like progressive springs and I do not understand them. However, I can't find any linear springs on the web, everybody only offers progressive ones. Am I missing anything?

Yamaha T7 Uprated OEM Shock Spring

1 hour ago, JohnV said:

Thanks, but they don't have linear fork springs, I think.

Email/ask Rally-Raid to confirm. I have found them to be very approachable and responsive.

Making James May look quick!

12 hours ago, JohnV said:

👋🏼Welcome on board, John. I agree, linear would be better for „normal“ use of the bike what means to me, only moderate off-road riding. 
They offer linear springs 

yamaha-t7-tenere-700-uprated-shock-sprin

Uprated shock spring Yamaha Tenere 700 - Linear Uprated Shock Spring Yamaha Tenere 700 (2019-) The OEM spring of the Yamaha Tenere 700...

Edited by bikeever

Rally Raid 85nm rear spring and diy spring tool.

14828908.jpg

17mm spacers to front spring.

14828906.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Murska said:

14828908.jpg

14828906.jpg

This is exactly what I'm going to do for my bike.

Where did you get 17mm spacers from? Do the spacer is on the fork spring seat, between the seat and the cap bolt?

How about the static sag after this modification?  

• Like 1

The spacer and spring plate are self-made. The spacer (15mm) and spring plate (2mm) are narrow that fit inside the fork tube. Statig sag is about 20mm with spacer.

OEM spring plate at the top, white spacer in the middle and a narrow spring plate at the bottom.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Murska said:

The spacer and spring plate are self-made. The spacer (15mm) and spring plate (2mm) are narrow that fit inside the fork tube. Statig sag is about 20mm with spacer.

OEM spring plate at the top, white spacer in the middle and a narrow spring plate at the bottom.

It's very nice job. Did you try it off road? Aren't the springs too stiff or they're just fine? 

Two days driven by a fast bumpy offroad and gravel with a new setup and works great. The 85nm rear spring is just right for a 90 / 100kg driver, (no panniers or luggage). The front spring might be a little stiffer, but the oem spring is just fine, at least with the spacer.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:13 PM, Murska said:

Just out of interest from looking at the pictures, why did you need to make the spring plate at the bottom narrower than the OEM spring plate and also the white spacer too come to think of it?

Thanks

Richard

The OEM spring plate is too wide and will not fit in the fork tube inside if it has a spacer underneath. That’s why I made a narrow spring plate spacer underneath.

The cap has a thin edge and I don’t want to put a plastic spacer facing the edge, so I put an OEM spring plate between the cap and the spacer.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Murska said:

The OEM spring plate is too wide and will not fit in the fork tube inside if it has a spacer underneath. That’s why I made a narrow spring plate spacer underneath.

The cap has a thin edge and I don’t want to put a plastic spacer facing the edge, so I put an OEM spring plate between the cap and the spacer.

Got you and thanks very much !

Rich

Hello gents, though I'll put some feedback back in regards to my experience with the new setup. 

Rear spring fitted from Rally Raid, thank you @Ktmmitchfor all the advice over the phone and for putting me in touch with Martin who is a great guy from Torque Racing.

Martin changed the spring for me and we measured the static and sag with me on the bike and here are the results with 90nm spring :

Back static 20mm

60mm with me on bike

Front static 35mm

65mm with me on bike

Front compression is 4 plus from stock but I'm not sure I like it this way I'll try to soften a bit since I have different tyres and wheels it feels to stiff on some occasions, rebound front plus one from stock. 

Rear preload 1 click from zero to achieve the above numbers. 

Nothing changed on rebound on the back. 

All the above are useless without knowing how much I weigh so here it is : last time I checked 102kg with no gear. 

This means probably 110kg with gear or a bit less. 

Bike has tail tidy, no rack, no crash bars, no passenger pegs and small exhaust.. I presume 5kg lighter... 

How it rides? 

Best mod i have done to the bike so far 

.. Planted in corners, feels connected and more secure.. Confidence inspiring... Love it.. Small note it does sit higher than before but I'm not sure by how much. Might get the fork caps from Rally raid or fit some spacers to the forks at some point....for now I'm over the moon with the bike. 

Hope this will help people decide which spring to get. 

Aleks 

IMG_20200501_112023-01.jpeg

• Like 7

Fantastic Aleks and great write up and knowledge to share with the group.

Rich

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, slawmir said:

This is exactly what I'm going to do for my bike.

Where did you get 17mm spacers from? Do the spacer is on the fork spring seat, between the seat and the cap bolt?

How about the static sag after this modification?  

hi, i got the RR 90 kg rear spring and looking where to bye the spacer, im 105 KG and thinking 5mm scacer at least 
Where to bye ?

• Like 1

It's self  made by @Murska. I don't know where to buy, I'm going to ask somebody to make it for me. Where did you order the rear spring?

1 hour ago, slawmir said:

It's self  made by @Murska. I don't know where to buy, I'm going to ask somebody to make it for me. Where did you order the rear spring?

Okej, i got spring from rally raid 

I am going to order a rear linear spring from OFF- THE ROAD.de  due to less shipping expenses (it is send from Germany to Greece.)
Are there any significant differences between Rally RaiD and Tractive items?

yamaha-t7-tenere-700-uprated-shock-sprin

Uprated shock spring Yamaha Tenere 700 - Linear Uprated Shock Spring Yamaha Tenere 700 (2019-) The OEM spring of the Yamaha Tenere 700 Kayaba shock absorber has only 70N/mm ex works. This spring rate

On 4/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, Murska said:

14828908.jpg

14828906.jpg

That is a very well made spring compressor! For those of you who don't want to make or buy one, or to pay someone to switch springs. There's plenty of  YouTube videos showing to use of compression straps.

I used a bearing separator and a hydraulic press. It's a bit precarious, but with speed and care it's possible. I used a pair of thin nosed pliers to remove the slotted retaining base washer, don't risk  losing a finger! I made some photos of the setup that I used after for the forum, as it's dangerous. So if you can't make sense of the set DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! note the bearing separator has it's two halves different way up to help level the shock in the press.

20200507_091028.jpg

20200507_091038.jpg

FOR ANY T7 OWNERS IN THE UK, IF YOU BRING YOUR SHOCK TO US AT RALLY-RAID PRODUCTS WE CAN FIT OUR SPRING FOR YOU, NO CHARGE, AND SET THE CORRECT SAG.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2