Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Suspension

prwatts

8 minutes ago, Ktmmitch said:

FOR ANY T7 OWNERS IN THE UK, IF YOU BRING YOUR SHOCK TO US AT RALLY-RAID PRODUCTS WE CAN FIT OUR SPRING FOR YOU, NO CHARGE, AND SET THE CORRECT SAG.

John, 

Are you planing on releasing a spacer only for the front stock forks? 

Aleks 

1 hour ago, PJS said:

5mm spacer......

<p>K-Tech front fork and shock absorber tuning parts are designed to help suspension technicians to improve the performance of original equipment products. All parts are designed to the exact standards as all other K-Tech...

Very nice.. I didn't know that they have one for our bikes. 

Aleks 

On 5/1/2020 at 5:07 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

Hello gents, though I'll put some feedback back in regards to my experience with the new setup. 

Rear spring fitted from Rally Raid, thank you @Ktmmitchfor all the advice over the phone and for putting me in touch with Martin who is a great guy from Torque Racing.

Martin changed the spring for me and we measured the static and sag with me on the bike and here are the results with 90nm spring :

Back static 20mm

60mm with me on bike

Front static 35mm

65mm with me on bike

Front compression is 4 plus from stock but I'm not sure I like it this way I'll try to soften a bit since I have different tyres and wheels it feels to stiff on some occasions, rebound front plus one from stock. 

Rear preload 1 click from zero to achieve the above numbers. 

Nothing changed on rebound on the back. 

All the above are useless without knowing how much I weigh so here it is : last time I checked 102kg with no gear. 

This means probably 110kg with gear or a bit less. 

Bike has tail tidy, no rack, no crash bars, no passenger pegs and small exhaust.. I presume 5kg lighter... 

How it rides? 

Best mod i have done to the bike so far 

.. Planted in corners, feels connected and more secure.. Confidence inspiring... Love it.. Small note it does sit higher than before but I'm not sure by how much. Might get the fork caps from Rally raid or fit some spacers to the forks at some point....for now I'm over the moon with the bike. 

Hope this will help people decide which spring to get. 

Aleks 

IMG_20200501_112023-01.jpeg

@X Plane this is my feedback with the new spring 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2020 at 2:05 AM, Louis said:

That is a very well made spring compressor! For those of you who don't want to make or buy one, or to pay someone to switch springs. There's plenty of  YouTube videos showing to use of compression straps.

I used a bearing separator and a hydraulic press. It's a bit precarious, but with speed and care it's possible. I used a pair of thin nosed pliers to remove the slotted retaining base washer, don't risk  losing a finger! I made some photos of the setup that I used after for the forum, as it's dangerous. So if you can't make sense of the set DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! note the bearing separator has it's two halves different way up to help level the shock in the press.

20200507_091028.jpg

20200507_091038.jpg

Today I fitted 90 N/mm spring, really happy with that mod.

I made my own spring compressor. 

IMG_20200513_143605.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know where we can source out rear springs in Canada? Shipping is over $58.00 from UK.

Touratech Canada has them but I don't think you will like the price. $209.00 

1 hour ago, DWEL700 said:

Touratech Canada has them but I don't think you will like the price. $209.00 

Well for that price, rally raid is shipping me the 90nm spring from the uk for $25 cheaper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colddog said:

Well for that price, rally raid is shipping me the 90nm spring from the uk for $25 cheaper.

Don’t forget you’ll probably get hit with duty.

Off The Road. Spring 99.95€, shipping to Canada (estimate) 29.90€

yamaha-t7-tenere-700-uprated-shock-sprin

Uprated shock spring Yamaha Tenere 700 - Linear Uprated Shock Spring Yamaha Tenere 700 (2019-) Most rider of the Tenere 700 will have found out that the OEM standard spring is too weak for "normal" ri

7 hours ago, Colddog said:

Rally raid is the way to go 👍😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some time on the suspension this week and have been very happy with the results. 

I am 85kg and with the preload wound all the way on I have 25mm and 65mm. Pretty close to where it should be...

I have now got the following clicks from full stiff:

Front compression 5

Rear compression 5

Front rebound 8

Rear rebound 8

I know that it sounds stuff but for road riding and slow speed its fantastic, like having a new bike. I think the way to go with road setup is start on the stiffer end and scale back.

As I have made such progress with these changes I have ordered a 85nm spring from RallyRaid and am looking forward to getting it perfect.

• Like 2

I recently had a Hyperpro rear spring fitted, so now I'm able to get the 30% sag they refer too. Before I couldn't get anywhere near it.  Now I have no - preload.

I'm 83 kg 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reading my manual I understand that in order to set the shock @ standard trim I have to turn the screws fully clockwise and then go anticlockwise 13 clicks for rebound damping and 15 clicks for compression...13/23 and 15/18. 15/18 is n't it too soft? The rear feels unstable to me when I turn and go over bumpy tarmac...

If I set the compression a bit harder from 15 to 12 what should I do with rebound? Is there a relation between the clicks of compression and the clicks of rebound? should I go to 10 from 13 as well?

• Like 1

When you say out it means anticlockwise and when you say in you mean clockwise or the other way round?

Only 3 days and I find the standard supension settings to be on firm side of plush which is perfect for me but maybe plush is better for others. I am very impressed because so many bikes are soft at the rear needing, at least, a new rear spring from day 1. (I am 85kg without rider gear)

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 4:19 PM, al700 said:

Reading my manual I understand that in order to set the shock @ standard trim I have to turn the screws fully clockwise and then go anticlockwise 13 clicks for rebound damping and 15 clicks for compression...13/23 and 15/18. 15/18 is n't it too soft? The rear feels unstable to me when I turn and go over bumpy tarmac...

If I set the compression a bit harder from 15 to 12 what should I do with rebound? Is there a relation between the clicks of compression and the clicks of rebound? should I go to 10 from 13 as well?

start with the rebound first. leave the compression on standard . then work from there. before adjusting ,is your sag correct? check out the dave moss series on you tube on how to set up yor suspension.

Alright I am happy with the current set up. I am 175lbs (79.3 kg) naked, 197.2lbs. (89.4kg) with my riding gear on.

We set sag at the dealer the day of delivery with riding gear on and setting race sag at 30% or 60mm (2.36") the required preload was zero, I do currently run it at 1 click.

I reset my rebound and compression setting this morning both front and rear.

On the Front I left Rebound at the standard setting of 17 clicks. Funny I still think of Rebound in reference to fast and slow rather than the increasing and decreasing the amount of damping but I am old. I increased the Compression damping from standard of 11 clicks to 10 clicks.

On the rear I reduced the Rebound from the standard of 13 clicks to 15 clicks or sped up the rebound. I increased the Compression damping from the standard of 15 clicks to 13 clicks making it stiffer.

These adjustments responded well, for instance a hard pack washboard that yesterday at 60 mph I had no choice but to stand up or be beat to death, today at the same speed it was perfectly comfortable to set and the bike was very well mannered. It preformed admirably all day throughout a verity of conditions.

I think these setting will be fine until I get use to the bike and ride more aggressively.

Although I don't think that will occur until I get rid of the stock tires, I think the only thing I dislike more than these tires are free range cattle, meet enough of them in last couple of days. These tires perform well on-road but off road, it takes very little in the way of sand or gravel and the front end is extremely loose and it would not take much to wash it out. The rear has descent bite going forward but very little side bite. If you power through a corner she will hang out nicely and has good forward bite, but get it just a little too hung out or give it just a little to much power and it steps out on you, and this slippery front tire is not really helping you to gather her back up.

I am not a rich man so it is hard for me to justify replacing these tires before they are worn out,  but I am getting real close to making an exception in their case.

Anyway if you are of a similar weight you might give these settings a try, if you already have changed your tires or have better skills than me and ride very aggressively now, I would suggest reducing rebound in the rear by one more click (the front is already set at minimum) and increasing compression damping by two clicks in the rear and one maybe two in the front. Granted a real sharp bump will loosen your teeth but she should handle real nice. 

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 4

Front fork springs are ordered and arrived with Martin @ torque racing... He will be fitting this to my bike hopefully next Friday. 

Aleks 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul said:

What fork springs did you get

Ktech for springs 6.3 rating. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After 400 miles on the new front fork springs I must say this has been one of the best things I have done to the bike... The abrupt dive at the beginning of the stroke is now gone and the bike feels more planted and more secure under braking... I can now push harder into corner entry with late braking. Static sac has improved from 35 mm to 15mm. Haven't measure the rider sag as I wanted the springs to bed in and time was not on our side but will have a look at this if people are interested. I weight 104kg with no gear and I think this is a nice mod and a must for using the bikes front end as it should be used.

Happt chappy and Martin has done a grand job with the service he offered. 

Aleks 

20200726100147_IMG_1100.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2020 at 8:47 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

After 400 miles on the new front fork springs I must say this has been one of the best things I have done to the bike... The abrupt dive at the beginning of the stroke is now gone and the bike feels more planted and more secure under braking... I can now push harder into corner entry with late braking. Static sac has improved from 35 mm to 15mm. Haven't measure the rider sag as I wanted the springs to bed in and time was not on our side but will have a look at this if people are interested. I weight 104kg with no gear and I think this is a nice mod and a must for using the bikes front end as it should be used.

Happt chappy and Martin has done a grand job with the service he offered. 

Aleks 

20200726100147_IMG_1100.jpg

Aleks, sorry this is over a year after your post did you have the K-Tech Linear Fork Springs fitted rather than the fork kit? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buzz Lightyear said:

Aleks, sorry this is over a year after your post did you have the K-Tech Linear Fork Springs fitted rather than the fork kit? 

Yes that's correct ,I've fitted 6.4nm springs .