Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Another T7 shock option

Firebolter

I haven't had the Öhlins - STX 46 Piggyback Rear Shock (YA 818) on my T7 long, but I'm really digging it.

zvgsX7Y.jpg?1

9fFJcvI.jpg

2ULFhMr.jpg

pjAI0FL.jpg

• Like 1

I had a Nitron shock on my XSR900 and it was a really good upgrade.

The shock on the T700 i not as bad as the one on the XSR, and a new spring is enough for me so far.
Perhaps I want something more advanced in the future, but as were not allowed to ride "in the bush" in Sweden, the standard danoer will probably be sufficiant.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a TFX, order through off the road. Its a great plug and play replacement and TFX customer service is outstanding.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 9:44 PM, Camel ADV said:

That's really strange. I sent them an email to see what's up. Will let you know when I hear back.

Did you ever hear back on this? I checked the TFX site today and didn't see a T7 option.

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, palada said:

Did you ever hear back on this? I checked the TFX site today and didn't see a T7 option.

They said to email them if interested. I don't know why they aren't on the site when their dealers are selling them...

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone else looking at TFX, I just ordered a shock for my T7. Getting the 142 without the hand preload adjuster and it was €850 EUR shipped to California. A few emails exchanged and I got a PayPal invoice for the shock I want. So far, very easy to deal with.

edit to add that the price above includes a spring. 

Edited by palada
Add info
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Received the TFX shock today. Looks great! Fit and finish seems comparable to an Ohlins I had on a different bike. I got the version w/o the remote preload adjuster because it's not a setting I tend to change after getting it set.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test it out properly for at least a few more weeks because I'm limited to these wheels because of a sports injury.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, palada said:

Received the TFX shock today. Looks great! Fit and finish seems comparable to an Ohlins I had on a different bike. I got the version w/o the remote preload adjuster because it's not a setting I tend to change after getting it set.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test it out properly for at least a few more weeks because I'm limited to these wheels because of a sports injury.

spacer.png

I can whole reccomend the BarkBusters in this application. The install should be straightforward and Black/Black should be spot on!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Following up on my Jan post: besides the TFX shock, I had K Tech cartridges installed and now that I'm mostly recovered from injury, I was able to check them out. The bike is transformed as far as I'm concerned. On the street, the rear doesn't wallow in corners anymore and the forks don't dive when touching the front brake. Offroad I'm still taking it easy, but I'm more confident hitting obstacles than before. Before these upgrades, I only had sprung it for my weight and messed with clickers.

There was another unexpected benefit: the speed wobble I got with the stock setup is gone. I had messed with numerous different settings with the front end but the wobble was always there once I'd hit ~85mph and lower on rough pavement. Today I was able to wick it up beyond that and no wobble at all.

For anyone that gets the TFX shock: pony up for the remote adjuster. I was cheap and got the one without. It made me sad to have to smack the pretty black rings with a drift to increase preload.

Picture because words are boring.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 6/19/2021 at 5:28 AM, Camel ADV said:

I've gone through a bunch of different shock brands on various ADV bikes. The best ride and longevity I've had so far is from TFX in the Netherlands.

I installed a TFX on my Africa Twin after having issues with two other brands of aftermarket shocks over-heating causing the shock oil cook, heat-fade/pogo sticking in rough terrain, leaking etc. Their shock reservoirs would be running hot enough that they'd burn your hand if you touched them.  The decals turned brown and literally bubbled. 

I have a TFX on the T7 and it's ride quality is as impressive as the one on my AT. It puts up with my size (approaching 300lbs in full gear) pounding through washed-out desert two-track at speed. I can't recommend them enough.

http://tfxsuspension.com/shop-search/

Hi mate 12 months+ later how is the shock and do you have a model number of what you used

• Supporting Vendor
On 12/31/2022 at 2:51 AM, Bretta said:

Hi mate 12 months+ later how is the shock and do you have a model number of what you used

I've had the shock for almost three years now, it's been rock solid. It's not an off the shelf shock, it's a hybrid unit so I don't have a part number for it.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 12/31/2022 at 1:51 AM, Bretta said:

I have a TFX too, installed about a year ago. I can't speak to longevity since I haven't put a ton of miles on it, but it's a huge upgrade functionally. I got mine after a few emails back and forth with TFX. They were prompt and polite.

If you get one, add the remote adjuster. The shock and the preload rings are a nice, shiny black and it sucks to have to mar them with a drift to adjust preload. I didn't get the remote adjust and now regret trying to spare that extra $100.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

Nitron shocks are really good. I’ve an R3 on my MT-10 and it changed it confidence wise brilliantly. Good comfort wise to if set correct .