Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Has anyone here fitted a slider that mounts at the exhaust hanger bolt?

Jo John Johnson

I recently received one from Amazon. I don’t know if I’m an idiot or if the bolt supplied doesn’t work. It doesn’t ship with a nut for the long bolt in the package, and the existing bolt is too short to use. 

Am I doing something wrong? Would love to see some photos of how you guys mounted yours if anyone out there has one. Thanks!

Adding a slider to the exhaust hanger is gonna help for about 5 seconds if you hit the ground. That hanger is not that strong and the slider will just push it in until the pipe hits the swingarm and the slider rips off.  Nothing you can do really to protect the pipe from a fall unless you move to a high mount of some sort. Sliders need a solid/strong mount point to work effectively, like axles IMO. Not trying to poo poo your idea, have seen a couple of others do it, but I really don't think it will help much.

5 hours ago, Firebolter said:

Adding a slider to the exhaust hanger is gonna help for about 5 seconds if you hit the ground. That hanger is not that strong and the slider will just push it in until the pipe hits the swingarm and the slider rips off.  Nothing you can do really to protect the pipe from a fall unless you move to a high mount of some sort. Sliders need a solid/strong mount point to work effectively, like axles IMO. Not trying to poo poo your idea, have seen a couple of others do it, but I really don't think it will help much.

That makes a lot of sense. I was looking at the skinny bolt provided and I thought the same thing. That it would just snap if I was at speed. I was however thinking it would help at least in a low speed tip over. I tippy toe the bike and I’m not the best off roader so I figured it would help in those situations. 

The slider might make the bent hanger problem worse, if it sticks out farther than the exhaust does already, then it's either going to hit sooner, or push the hanger in farther.

When you said slider i thought you were using some kind of bolt arrangement like the huzzar exhaust and sliding the exhaust higher up on the hanger 🙂

Mike

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jo John Johnson said:

That makes a lot of sense. I was looking at the skinny bolt provided and I thought the same thing. That it would just snap if I was at speed. I was however thinking it would help at least in a low speed tip over. I tippy toe the bike and I’m not the best off roader so I figured it would help in those situations. 

As Mike says it will make it worse. I’ve bent my hanger three times now and one I was stationary and the bloody thing bent.

46 minutes ago, Jo John Johnson said:

I was however thinking it would help at least in a low speed tip over. I tippy toe the bike and I’m not the best off roader so I figured it would help in those situations. 

Well, it certainly won't hurt but like MikeCMP mentioned, might even make a fall over worse?  If you are doing the tippy toe thing like you mention and you are off balance or whatever and have to let the bike lay down on it's side controllably, then it might be effective as you say, but for me, I think there is more risk of damage or additional damage than possible good. That's just my opinion though!

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

Your better bet for “sliders” for the rear is luggage or rear racks. Right after I bought my Super Tenere, I fitted Bumot hard cases. A month to the day after I bought it, I was in my way to work, it was 28 degrees out, made a left onto the street 100 feet from my driveway and hit black ice and low sided at 20 mph. Hard bags and crash bars too all the damage. 

on the T700, the exhaust is held very far out, and attached with two small tubes that are almost 9” long, and the other end is just the exhaust pipe, which is not really structural. Putting the weight of the bike on those two small tubes 9” out is an enormous amount of leverage. The slider will allow it to bend farther, increasing metal fatigue and chance of damage.

That luggage rack on my  S10 took a lot of abuse. I dropped it so hard I twisted up the racks, had to use a 8 foot piece of steel channel to bend it back. Bike was undamaged. 

if you are concerned about damaging the exhaust, I’d look at a high exhaust kit like the Camel or Huzzar ones. Then you can just get some axle sliders in the rear and be good.

Mike