Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Leaky fuel cap fix

Hammerhead

This carpenter (who surprisingly still sports all his fingertips) created a backyard bagel slicing method that served a one time purpose, but that’s not to imply it’s  easy or recommended.

Many of the best solutions evolve from collaboration & improvement on pioneering ideas. Orville & Wilbur weren’t shooting for the moon but Armstrong made it because of what they started! 
  Given the choice, I’d opt for the @Camel ADVplug n play solution any day. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uncle M said:

@Camel ADV  Last summer I found my tankbag pressing down on the fuel cap stopped the siphoning effect for the aux tank to drain into the main tank, so hopefully your solution will fix that problem!

Tank bags put uneven pressure on the cap & cause loss of seal to the point fuel will literally pour (not drip) out of the cap if you drop the bike. Test it by laying the bike down & applying pressure to one side of the cap (just have a mop ready!) The increase in seal thickness should easily solve by taking up that sloppy stock fit. 

• Like 1

@Hammerhead correct the issue was intermittent depending on how the bag sat over the cap. It was a PITA so I took the tankbag off when I needed the range with the aux tank! Getting rid of the slop in the cap should be the solution!  Thx for your slice-the-bagel pioneering effort, boldly going where no other carpenter has gone before (with a T7)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is the leaky fuel cap a common problem? I’ve got the camel tank and it’s worked as advertised since I’ve owned it,  probably 5,000 miles. With stock cap.

Just curious.

Edited by Brad887766

Not sure how common it is, given that the precedent is having your bike take a dirt nap, but it is a problem that is easily reproducible and shouldn't have existed in the first place.

• Like 1

Suspect it is quite common @Brad887766, given the new replacement cap Yam offered me under warranty was no improvement. It’s only evident when the bike gets dropped though, so most street riding won’t reveal it.  Can get substantially worsened by uneven pressure from tank bags & as mentioned above, that can interfere with transfer from the Camel tank. The loose fit alone is worth repair. They bothered with a charcoal canister to capture evaporative fumes & then put an ill fitting leaky cap on the tank. Cheesy.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 12:20 AM, Camel ADV said:

We've been testing a fix for this for a few months. It is basically the same fix as the o-ring solution above without the slicing. It is simply a flat washer cut out of Viton. 

I'm waiting to hear back about the bulk price from the place cutting them for us. We should have them on the site in a couple weeks.

Any new updates on this? I've been browsing around for stuff that I can buy for my bike for Christmas and I remembered that your fix should be coming out any time now.

• Supporting Vendor
3 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

Any new updates on this? I've been browsing around for stuff that I can buy for my bike for Christmas and I remembered that your fix should be coming out any time now.

They are sitting in the shop now. The guys are packing them this afternoon and we'll get them on the site over the weekend likely. 

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Just ordered one ( plus the fork guard, merry Christmas to my T7].

Does it replace the old seal or used in addition?

Edited by Brad887766

8 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

They are sitting in the shop now. The guys are packing them this afternoon and we'll get them on the site over the weekend likely. 

The shipping price is quite... interesting.

648980864_Screenshotfrom2021-12-1110-40-02.thumb.png.17d223a476e6e8e3714211474cff6e66.png

• Sad 1

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, Brad887766 said:

Just ordered one ( plus the fork guard, merry Christmas to my T7].

Does it replace the old seal or used in addition?

In addition to the original. We'll have a video up before you get the seal.

• Supporting Vendor
3 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

The shipping price is quite... interesting.

648980864_Screenshotfrom2021-12-1110-40-02.thumb.png.17d223a476e6e8e3714211474cff6e66.png

We don't set the shipping prices. The site is tied directly to UPS, if that's the price they are quoting to the Philippines, then that's the price. Shipping costs are not marked up by us. That been said, I'm surprised it's that much @ 0.1kg. I'll check Fed Ex on Monday.

49 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

We don't set the shipping prices. The site is tied directly to UPS, if that's the price they are quoting to the Philippines, then that's the price. Shipping costs are not marked up by us. That been said, I'm surprised it's that much @ 0.1kg. I'll check Fed Ex on Monday.

Oh no, I'm not blaming you or anything, I understand that the shipping prices are automated by UPS. It was just such a big surprise when I saw the price when checking out.