Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Buffeting or Turbulence from the Windscreen

prwatts

7 hours ago, Totti said:

No one hasn't mentioned what helmet and what kind of hearing protection they are using.

Two months ago I bought custom fitted ear plugs. They were rather expensive but I you can only lose your hearing once.

And wow! No wind noise or any of the shredding sounds, only clear traffic sounds and clear beuatiful engine sound. 

And the best thing is that I can wear these all day with out sore feeling in my ears. And I don't have to take them off during brakes or pauses. I hear all the bullshit and bad jokes clearly.

Money well spend.

I think it's not only wind or noise ... it's turbulence and pressure variations. In my case the Touratech Carbon 2 helmet peak would shake sideways and no earplug would have fixed that. (https://shop.touratech-canada.com/helmet-touratech-aventuro-carbon2-compa-ero-17559.html

My helmet was just fine in clean air while standing up.

Keep in mind that the behaviour is also different based on wind direction and barometric air pressure (like before a storm it would be worse than on a sunny clear day)

Once you have the correct bubble you can feel free... 🙂 ...and you will ask yourself why you did not fix it sooner.

About your earplugs, share a link to the ones you got, I hear that there are also some homemade kits out there.

At the moment I am still wearing earplugs on long rides.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for checking in about the new Tenere 700. Our R&D is not yet back up to normal, We're expecting that to happen soon and this model is on our radar. I'll pass your inquiry along to the designers and also keep it to update of any progress.

I wish there was better news, but appreciate you thinking of us again and for all of your past business. Here's a promo code to save you 10%, whenever this happens or for any other purchase.

Use Code    

Best Regards,

Blair

MadStad Engineering

(352) 848-3646
madstad.com/pages/faq

I hope you have plans to make the brackets and mounts for this bike. Picked up one yesterday and while there is decent protection for a minimal screen it is loud.
First experience with your products was on a 1000 vstrom, then a fz09, and a wr250r (when I traded the WR for 701 Super moto the bar mounted Madstad went on the Husky.
Great products! Keep them coming.
Thanks Jeff Besemer

I am holding out for this.

Opps, did I delete my promo code?

Edited by gone2seed

On 4/23/2020 at 11:40 PM, Jonas said:

Doesn’t  everybody use ear noise damper?

I do. At 52 and after something like 40 years on a seat, I think I was going to lose my hearing. So 5 years ago I started using ear plugs and I can ignore the noise. At 189 cm tall I don't suffer from turbulences on the T7, but the noise is remarkable, more so because I use a modular helmet (notoriously worse for this matter).

I am considering switching to a taller (and probably wider) windshield, but I'm not sure I want to give up the pleasure of looking at the T7's front...

921265.jpg?t=1602060735000

Howard Leight™ LL-1 Laser Lite® Ear Plugs, Disposable, NRR 32, Uncorded, 200 Pairs/Box. Ships same day. Buy it and Save at GlobalIndustrial.com

Used these guys at work. Most comfortable of all for me and Ive got 30years experience.

YMMV

Shooting, riding, Pipeline blow downs.

They are the Only reason I am just  half deef.

Bought a box of 200 when I retired.

Edited by gone2seed
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2020 at 10:16 PM, MGG said:

Keep in mind that the behaviour is also different based on wind direction and barometric air pressure (like before a storm it would be worse than on a sunny clear day)

Once you have the correct bubble you can feel free... 🙂 ...and you will ask yourself why you did not fix it sooner.

About your earplugs, share a link to the ones you got, I hear that there are also some homemade kits out there.

At the moment I am still wearing earplugs on long rides.

Yes and the rider's measurements affect also (total height and length of your back etc).

And the helmet is another crucial part. I have never understood that people buy a 10k€ bike and then a shitty 10€ helmet.

With my first bike I "saved money" by bying a cheap (and loud) helmet. Listened the whistling for one summer and then went and bought a decent helmet.

Sorry @MGG, the links that I managed to find were only in Finnish. I am aware that the are DIY-sets for this kind of ear plugs but I don't like the idea of inserting hot wax to ears and not completely knowing what to do.

This is getting a bit off-the-topic. Maybe I start one for ear-plugs

earplugs.JPG

• Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

I've been an owner for a couple of months now, and I've decided that the poorly implemented wind screen is the primary problem holding the T7 back for me.  The core issue was Yamaha's design choice to go with a very vertical screen to achieve the rally look, rather than a more raked screen that would perform well in a wind tunnel test.  Because of the shape of the reinforced nylon brackets that the screen attaches to (specifically the portion holding the accessory bar), every aftermarket screen is forced into the same vertical profile on the upper portion (the "flip").  

I've got the Kedo adjusters - that helped slightly.  There's a point at which if you raise the stock screen any higher the buffeting starts to get worse, so I don't run in the fully up position.  For me the buffeting is more than just about noise. The turbulent air is trying to move my head, and at higher speeds it is moving my head enough to make my vision blur some from the vibration.  

I recently tried the tall Ermax screen sans Kedo adjuster.  I'd say it helped slightly more than the stock screen + adjusters.  But it plows so much air that with a mild headwind the whole front end of the bike was getting bounced around at 70+ mph.  So I removed it (a lot of money wasted since I had to import from Europe).  

The only way to achieve a decent angle on the screen would be for someone to design one that incorporates spacers at the lower mounting points to push the lower half out.  Then a screen without a "flip" could fit, but it wouldn't be pretty with the bottom half jutting out.   

Edited by Toei

31 minutes ago, Johnnyboxer said:

I use the stock screen & T7 adjusters in the highest position 

Like you say, still get buffeting 

I then added a Givi flip spoiler to take the air back & over my helmet 

Works perfectly and at 6’2 or 185cm it’s a lot better 

I tried a Givi higher screeen and it was awful 

Thanks - this may be what I end up trying next.  It will be kind of a shame:  Yamaha did the vertical screen to get a certain look,  but you have to put a spoiler on it (ruining the look) to make it function adequately.  Maybe if Yamaha sees a bunch of T7's running around with windscreen spoilers they'll decide to do something about it with a redesign!

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the OEM one?  https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/me/sr/products/motorcycles/adventure/tenere-700/accessories/add-on-screen-narrow/bw3-f83m0-00-00/?path=/?page=1&categories.id=c77536a2-b143-4223-a3a0-7c7889b5b977

I went this route . . . allows air under the screen to counter buffeting.  Raised 2-3/4” works great with a clip-on fly screen.

IMG_4898.jpg?format=1500w

Billet Aluminum Windshield Adjuster for the Yamaha Tenere 700 T7

23D19DF1-3337-4E1F-BA8E-04467BA2AD36.jpeg

For a $10 discount:

Purchase on ADV here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tenere-700-t7-accessories-by-motopumps-windscreen-adjuster-gps-mounts-lowering-links-oh-my.1471263/

Or use this code on the website:  ADVT7

A8F78FD7-BBD4-4B8E-AD71-8FBF9FFE3ED3.jpeg

Edited by Tom McDonough
  • Like 1

2021 White T7, 2019 MT-7, 2021 CRF300 Rally, ‘14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure

31 minutes ago, Tom McDonough said:

I went this route . . . allows air under the screen to counter buffeting.  Raised 2-3/4” works great with a clip-on fly screen.

IMG_4898.jpg?format=1500w

Billet Aluminum Windshield Adjuster for the Yamaha Tenere 700 T7

23D19DF1-3337-4E1F-BA8E-04467BA2AD36.jpeg

For a $10 discount:

Purchase on ADV here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tenere-700-t7-accessories-by-motopumps-windscreen-adjuster-gps-mounts-lowering-links-oh-my.1471263/

Or use this code on the website:  ADVT7

A8F78FD7-BBD4-4B8E-AD71-8FBF9FFE3ED3.jpeg

Just ordered a set from Advrider site... can't wait to try them out.  thanks for the discount.

• Like 1

The riser works great with the Givi D2145 screen (raised 1.5”) tipped back a bit using 3/8” spacers on the bottom mounts.  No visor needed.  I ride with my face shield open.

702F34D7-AE21-46C9-8497-1FBEC2E67693.png

0D083BD4-A6DD-4631-AA25-9AC9AAB3BE64.jpeg

Edited by Tom McDonough
  • Like 4

I just installed the power bronze wind deflectors and will have to get those windscreen adjusters as well. With my arai xd4 wind catches the visor and vibrates it badly

PXL_20201103_225453382.thumb.jpg.93b2b7d1e974db584e13b8589e756220.jpg

• Like 1

The wider Givi screen made a big difference blocking the cold wind on my upper body.  

This is at the lowest position using the Motopumps risers.  It did allow air under the screen . . . but would still effect my open visor.  Good hand guard and mirror clearance at the lowest position.

Raising the screen 1.5” did the trick for me.   

8FD09BD6-ABBA-46AE-8CA9-3EE9572C393D.jpeg

31FE40EE-3065-4BC7-876B-0E7B5B625DBA.jpeg

Edited by Tom McDonough
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom McDonough said:

The wider Givi screen made a big difference blocking the cold wind on my upper body.  

This is at the lowest position using the Motopumps risers.  It did allow air under the screen . . . but would still effect my open visor.  Good hand guard and mirror clearance at the lowest position.

Raising the screen 1.5” did the trick for me.   

8FD09BD6-ABBA-46AE-8CA9-3EE9572C393D.jpeg

31FE40EE-3065-4BC7-876B-0E7B5B625DBA.jpeg

How much taller is that screen than the stock one?

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 10/28/2020 at 7:25 PM, Dirtrider99x said:

Just ordered a set from Advrider site... can't wait to try them out.  thanks for the discount.

These are nice, for on road. Wouldn't take them in the bush. When you go down/hit a large branch or something similar, the weakest link WILL be a whole bunch more expensive than the windscreen risers. I've broken 2 sets of plastic ones on some tight single track, so I print up another set for about $5, and away I go again.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, vagrant318 said:

I just installed the power bronze wind deflectors and will have to get those windscreen adjusters as well. With my arai xd4 wind catches the visor and vibrates it badly

PXL_20201103_225453382.thumb.jpg.93b2b7d1e974db584e13b8589e756220.jpg

What height are you? I’m 6’ with an xd4 helmet with adjustable stock wind screen. No turbulence but stupid loud even with earplugs. Let us know if you get it dialed in with the adjusters and side deflectors

On 11/4/2020 at 5:27 PM, Zbob said:

What height are you? I’m 6’ with an xd4 helmet with adjustable stock wind screen. No turbulence but stupid loud even with earplugs. Let us know if you get it dialed in with the adjusters and side deflectors

I'm 6'1" longer torso. Yeah my setup isvery loud too on the highway, I believe the deflectors should help with that. There's already a noticeable improvement with cold air. With the adjustable screen and spoiler I'm hoping to get the air over my helmet for long interstate runs.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 11:32 PM, Canzvt said:

How much taller is that screen than the stock one?

5A8402C7-F83D-4CB8-97CD-8DBD9756A24C.jpeg

EFC8082C-BDA1-4456-A9D9-9ABA86BC0B17.jpeg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tom McDonough said:

5A8402C7-F83D-4CB8-97CD-8DBD9756A24C.jpeg

EFC8082C-BDA1-4456-A9D9-9ABA86BC0B17.jpeg

Thank you very much sir. That is great information. Looks like Christmas is coming early for the T7...🙂

• Like 1

Got my adjustable windscreen mounts from moto pumps installed today, slick little set up. May give it a test tomorrow, a balmy 46 degrees here in the pnw.

PXL_20201110_011553204.thumb.jpg.39d77a9bbd2ddcbe4d7afbd04cf2905d.jpg

On 11/3/2020 at 8:37 PM, Canzvt said:

These are nice, for on road. Wouldn't take them in the bush. When you go down/hit a large branch or something similar, the weakest link WILL be a whole bunch more expensive than the windscreen risers. I've broken 2 sets of plastic ones on some tight single track, so I print up another set for about $5, and away I go again.

I'm not planning to treat my T7 like a dirt bike in the woods, it's a touring/bdr machine for me. I don't however understand your logic nonetheless about things breaking? Are you meaning you have a similar adjustable setup with the steel pieces being in plastic? Or the stock risers breaking?

12 minutes ago, vagrant318 said:

I'm not planning to treat my T7 like a dirt bike in the woods, it's a touring/bdr machine for me. I don't however understand your logic nonetheless about things breaking? Are you meaning you have a similar adjustable setup with the steel pieces being in plastic? Or the stock risers breaking?

So, my logic is, the original risers (created by someone in the UK IIRC) were plastic. I have a set. By fitting the windshield risers (made of Aluminum/steel/carbon/etc) to the stock mounts and fitting the windshield to it, you are raising the windshield, but you are also increasing the moment (leverage) on the original mount, regardless of material choice. If the risers are made of stronger material than the mounts, the mounts will fail first in a tip over/branch/whatever that hits the windshield. If you are running a Camel ADV bobble head, this risk is greatly reduced, but it is still there.

So, if the windshield adjuster doesn't break, the only other pieces that can break are the original mounts. They are made from what looks like glass fiber reinforced nylon by injection moulding. See image. I'm reasonably sure they will be more than a few dollars to replace and probably not in stock in NA.

I'm sure you will be fine, but for us bushwacker off road types, I probably wouldn't recommend the nice aluminum risers.

T7 Front Section.JPG

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So, my logic is, the original risers (created by someone in the UK IIRC) were plastic. I have a set. By fitting the windshield risers (made of Aluminum/steel/carbon/etc) to the stock mounts and fitting the windshield to it, you are raising the windshield, but you are also increasing the moment (leverage) on the original mount, regardless of material choice. If the risers are made of stronger material than the mounts, the mounts will fail first in a tip over/branch/whatever that hits the windshield. If you are running a Camel ADV bobble head, this risk is greatly reduced, but it is still there.

So, if the windshield adjuster doesn't break, the only other pieces that can break are the original mounts. They are made from what looks like glass fiber reinforced nylon by injection moulding. See image. I'm reasonably sure they will be more than a few dollars to replace and probably not in stock in NA.

I'm sure you will be fine, but for us bushwacker off road types, I probably wouldn't recommend the nice aluminum risers.

T7 Front Section.JPG

Well Shet that makes sense but again probably a non issue for me at least right now. I do prefer to buy accessories that won't compromise other parts of the bike even in theory. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the side deflectors offered by Inpreda?  

I've seen these on Ebay as well but neither show the clear version being any bigger than the OEM deflectors and I'm concerned about the quality.  One of their images even just shows a T7 without any windshield at all. WTH is that?!  

I've got an email in to Inpreda to find out if they are actually larger like the Givi and Powerbronze deflectors.  I have the T7 Rally windshield adjusters, I'm 6'1" riding with an XD4.  Even on surface streets the wind noise is unbearable.  I usually ride with some very good ear plugs, but I still get an oscillating effect at highway speeds that I'm hoping some larger side deflectors will help.  I'd rather not go with larger windshield as I use my T7 as more of a dual sport than just a road bike.

5_7e53061a-b4c0-46b2-8ac3-ce87792077c5_1

Yamaha Tenere 700 Wind Side Deflector Pair 2019 INPREDA introduces the wind deflector series to minimize wind-blast.  These deflectors deflect the wind-blast several centimeters more,allowing a more comfortable position.   Made of high impact acrylic with a thickness of 4 mm...

Edited by SociallyStunted

On 11/9/2020 at 9:08 PM, Canzvt said:

T7 Front Section.JPG

This makes total sense.  Some HDPE risers would be the trick set up. Not as strong as Aluminum, probably lighter as well and would break or bend first before the OEM that they mount to would.  Does anyone make these risers in HDPE or similar plastic ?

Edited by Mototifosi

On 12/27/2020 at 10:29 AM, SociallyStunted said:

Has anyone tried the side deflectors offered by Inpreda?  

I've seen these on Ebay as well but neither show the clear version being any bigger than the OEM deflectors and I'm concerned about the quality.  One of their images even just shows a T7 without any windshield at all. WTH is that?!  

I've got an email in to Inpreda to find out if they are actually larger like the Givi and Powerbronze deflectors.  I have the T7 Rally windshield adjusters, I'm 6'1" riding with an XD4.  Even on surface streets the wind noise is unbearable.  I usually ride with some very good ear plugs, but I still get an oscillating effect at highway speeds that I'm hoping some larger side deflectors will help.  I'd rather not go with larger windshield as I use my T7 as more of a dual sport than just a road bike.

5_7e53061a-b4c0-46b2-8ac3-ce87792077c5_1

Yamaha Tenere 700 Wind Side Deflector Pair 2019 INPREDA introduces the wind deflector series to minimize wind-blast.  These deflectors deflect the wind-blast several centimeters more,allowing a more comfortable position.   Made of high impact acrylic with a thickness of 4 mm...

So I got a response from Inpreda saying that their clear windshield side deflectors are actually smaller than stock.  That makes no sense to me.  And neither does that fact that one of their pictures, the one with no windshield at all, is actually @prwatts picture he posted in the beginning of this thread.