Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Buffeting or Turbulence from the Windscreen

prwatts

I purchased the same MRA screen as you hoping to solve the same problem as you. Didn't help at all. Will be fitting that under lip spoiler using an old visor as explained above and will see if I can get the same results. Right now, I'm back to using the stock screen with the Puig top lip spoiler and a couple of 1.5" holes drilled in the stock screen. Its much better, but I'm hoping the visor trick is better again.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

2 hours ago, Canzvt said:

I purchased the same MRA screen as you hoping to solve the same problem as you. Didn't help at all. Will be fitting that under lip spoiler using an old visor as explained above and will see if I can get the same results. Right now, I'm back to using the stock screen with the Puig top lip spoiler and a couple of 1.5" holes drilled in the stock screen. Its much better, but I'm hoping the visor trick is better again.

Well dang.  Thanks for that info tho.  LOL. 

Do you mind me asking how tall you are?

7 minutes ago, SportNorth said:

Well dang.  Thanks for that info tho.  LOL. 

Do you mind me asking how tall you are?

6'-2". 34" inseam. Rally Seat. I may have spoken out of turn a bit. I have T7 rally adjusters and have played with them and the MRA screen. Again, it didn't help with the wind noise/buffeting. I will build this under screen spoiler and try it with the stock and the MRA screen. Not sure when I will get to it though.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Here's my successful journey for improved T7 wind/noise management for me @ 6' 1.5"  that started with a cut down oem windscreen (preferred off-road setup) & progressed to a Skydmarx 450 mm x 4 mm windscreen + Powerbronze Side Deflectors (wider than the oem)

• Like 4

I’m a little over 6’5” with 35” inseam.   I was on a practically deflated AirHawk cushion, on the stock seat.  I did 1300 miles in the last few days. I have to admit, I’m not experiencing too much buffeting at 70 mph unless I am in traffic, especially with big trucks on the interstate.  What I do feel is a massive amount of air right at my helmet.  Hits about at chin level.  If I semi-stand up on the pegs and raise up about 8” it is so peaceful.  The wind noise is reduced by 75% and the resistance is down as much.  
I'm thinking of adding the adjuster to raise the stock screen and add a deflector on top of that, but just for high speed stuff.  I wouldn’t need it most of the time.  
Which of the windscreen adjusters is the strongest?   Do you think it would hold together if raised up and had an extension on top of the windscreen? 
Thx

Edited by MoPops

On 4/13/2021 at 3:39 PM, RACEBANNON said:

fairing.jpg

So if I understand correctly, you now have a 3-piece windscreen?  Could you back up and take a photo?  

My issues were I was getting turbulence on my chest at freeway speeds. With the added faceshield behind the adjustable oem fairing I believe it equalizes the pressure on both sides of the fairing. Also the additional faceshield provides deflection of rain and bugs off the instrument pod when raising the oem fairing.  hope that explains the issues. 

It is the oem fairing with an added puig laminar flow lip on top. I then installed the faceshield to fit the oem brackets that support the fairing behind the brackets. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 2:19 PM, MoPops said:

I’m a little over 6’5” with 35” inseam.   I was on a practically deflated AirHawk cushion, on the stock seat.  I did 1300 miles in the last few days. I have to admit, I’m not experiencing too much buffeting at 70 mph unless I am in traffic, especially with big trucks on the interstate.  What I do feel is a massive amount of air right at my helmet.  Hits about at chin level.  If I semi-stand up on the pegs and raise up about 8” it is so peaceful.  The wind noise is reduced by 75% and the resistance is down as much.  
I'm thinking of adding the adjuster to raise the stock screen and add a deflector on top of that, but just for high speed stuff.  I wouldn’t need it most of the time.  
Which of the windscreen adjusters is the strongest?   Do you think it would hold together if raised up and had an extension on top of the windscreen? 
Thx

I've got the Kedo adjusters which are stainless steel, the shorter version.  Glad I went with the short version as I can't raise the screen to maximum height anyway without making the buffeting worse.

I think you might find that you can't just jack the stock screen as high as possible without the additional air coming underneath it causing problems.  I did find adding a lip spoiler helped a bit.  

4 hours ago, Toei said:

I've got the Kedo adjusters which are stainless steel, the shorter version.  Glad I went with the short version as I can't raise the screen to maximum height anyway without making the buffeting worse.

I think you might find that you can't just jack the stock screen as high as possible without the additional air coming underneath it causing problems.  I did find adding a lip spoiler helped a bit.  

Thanks.  I just now ordered aluminum adjusters.  (eBay).  I’ll get those in and go from there.   
Thanks again for the reply.  

Picked up my MRA touring windshield from Motostarz this past Tuesday.  Took the South Fraser Perimeter road and HWY 91 so that I could feel the buffeting on the way there at 100 km/h and higher.  Switched out windshields in the parking lot and rode home.  Then yesterday I rode to Chilliwack at speeds of 120 km/h give or take. 

I'm 5'6", inseam of 32",  broad (for a female) athletic shoulders, 

I've changed the geometry of my bike and  how I sit in the bike: OEM low seat, 40mm lowering links,  front forks lowered 10mm (rather than the 20mm recommended).  I have also installed a ton of QuadLock 'stuff' on my mounting bar, not sure how if at all that affects the wind coming at me. 

I was experiencing intolerable wind noise in my ears (even with a full face and earplugs), tons of buffeting on my helmet and shoulders/upper arms to the point that after a 3 hour ride my upper back/neck would be tired/sore for the rest of the day.  

Results:  It solved all my problems.  I still have air flow over those areas but it is clean, quiet air.  Turbulent air doesn't hit my arms till about my elbows, or my helmet till the very top.  Super happy that this one mod was all it took.  

Once I've broken in my bike a bit more, I'll probably switch to 20mm lowering links.   I shall see if the results remain as fantastic. 

IMG_8155.PNG

IMG_8152.jpeg

• Like 8