Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Garmin Zumo XT Wiring Questions - I'm at a LOSS!!!

nelsonccc

8 hours ago, orbsurfer said:

This is how I installed the Garmin Zumo XT, by using a Rally Raid bracket on the crossbar and connecting the electrical cable to one of the two three prong Sumitomo MT 090 Series  connectors. I have added the three prong connector splitter from Eastern Beaver to both sides..., never enough outlets! 🙂 Auxiliary lights, heated grips, GPS, more lights...

I have the phone mounted on the handlebar on a cell phone holder mounted to another Rally Raid bracket, both lightly modified! This phone setup is the best and cleanest I have used to date after trying many!

The two prong connector will be used to power a USB outlet.

WOW! You really take the explainer video to the next level.

Thanks for the time you invested in showing us how to do this well 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, orbsurfer said:

This is how I installed the Garmin Zumo XT, by using a Rally Raid bracket on the crossbar and connecting the electrical cable to one of the two three prong Sumitomo MT 090 Series  connectors. I have added the three prong connector splitter from Eastern Beaver to both sides..., never enough outlets! 🙂 Auxiliary lights, heated grips, GPS, more lights...

I have the phone mounted on the handlebar on a cell phone holder mounted to another Rally Raid bracket, both lightly modified! This phone setup is the best and cleanest I have used to date after trying many!

The two prong connector will be used to power a USB outlet.

This is very helpful, thanks. One question,  the eastern beaver splitter shows a 3-prong to connect to the Aux connector, however the other end (of the splitter)

appears to show some other type of connect (square?). And in your video you show the Garmin power lead with yet another 3-prong-type connector.

Did you change the splitter from the (appeared square)  to three-prong?

Also you do know what model connector is at the end of the splitter (the square one I think).

I'm trying to reduce the amount of connector changing needed.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Tenere_700/PC8/pc8.html

Edited by ADVUSA

Eastern Beaver have several different splitters, but the one I have installed is the 3-prong Sumitomo MT 090 Series on all three connectors (female on one side and male on the other end).

The 3-prong connector I connected the Garmin Zumo XT to in the video is the male 3-prong Sumitomo MT 090 Series in order to use one of the two 3-prong connectors on the Yamaha wiring loom. 

3-prong.jpg.ddb7fe6d46a9a9775db1bffa55b0349b.jpg

I believe the two prong auxiliary connector is DJY7021A, do not know the brand name. 

2-prong.jpg.faeb9d2992ccb4f2417473c0ba1d5c08.jpg

The best approach regarding additional wiring loom in order to install accessories such as heated grips, auxiliary lights, GPS Navigation, USB charger etc. on the Yamaha Ténéré 700, is to get two splitters for the 3-prong connectors, then you have 4 available 3-prong outlets + one 2-prong outlet; i.e. 5 available power taps up front underneath the painted panels. 

I have tried different variants; i.e. the wiring loom you link to, and connecting auxiliaries straight back to the battery, but just using the available 3-prong connectors is the cleanest and easiest install.

The two 3-prong connectors leads  back to the same fuse, the Accessory fuse marked as #4 on the wiring diagram and is rated at 10 amps.

The one 2-prong connector leads back to the Auxiliary fuse, marked as #7 on the wiring diagram and is rated at 2 amps.

Edited by orbsurfer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, orbsurfer said:

Eastern Beaver have several different splitters, but the one I have installed is the 3-prong Sumitomo MT 090 Series on all three connectors (female on one side and male on the other end).

The 3-prong connector I connected the Garmin Zumo XT to in the video is the male 3-prong Sumitomo MT 090 Series in order to use one of the two 3-prong connectors on the Yamaha wiring loom. 

3-prong.jpg.ddb7fe6d46a9a9775db1bffa55b0349b.jpg

I believe the two prong auxiliary connector is DJY7021A, do not know the brand name. 

2-prong.jpg.3da8a1e63123a46fbe29c71804a8be8f.jpg

The best approach regarding additional wiring loom in order to install accessories such as heated grips, auxiliary lights, GPS Navigation, USB charger etc. on the Yamaha Ténéré 700, is to get two splitters for the 3-prong connectors, then you have 4 available 3-prong outlets + one 2-prong outlet; i.e. 5 available power taps up front underneath the painted panels. 

I have tried different variants; i.e. the wiring loom you link to, and connecting auxiliaries straight back to the battery, but just using the available 3-prong connectors is the cleanest and easiest install.

The two 3-prong connectors leads  back to the same fuse, the Accessory fuse marked as #4 on the wiring diagram and is rated at 10 amps.

The one 2-prong connector leads back to the Auxiliary fuse, marked as #7 on the wiring diagram and is rated at 2 amps.

2-prong.jpg

Most appreciated for us less "connector experienced."  I'm sure you've helped many with your quality videos and this detail. Thanks  😃

Edited by ADVUSA

On 2/19/2021 at 10:54 AM, ADVUSA said:

This is very helpful, thanks. One question,  the eastern beaver splitter shows a 3-prong to connect to the Aux connector, however the other end (of the splitter)

appears to show some other type of connect (square?). And in your video you show the Garmin power lead with yet another 3-prong-type connector.

Did you change the splitter from the (appeared square)  to three-prong?

Also you do know what model connector is at the end of the splitter (the square one I think).

I'm trying to reduce the amount of connector changing needed.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Tenere_700/PC8/pc8.html

I got these off eBay for my T7. Great fit 🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-2-Way-Unsealed-Connector-Plug-Set-Pins-Tenere-R6-MT09-MT07-Tracer-Aux-DC-/353227824961?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 1

So I have an update. I had initially wired it directly to the battery and that seemed fine but since I had already ordered the beaver splitter and wire from my first post I decided to get back in there and re do it so it was on auxiliary power.

The splitter of course was plug and play. I trimmed the beaver 3 prong piece and spliced it with the garmin harness, black to black and red to yellow. I just shrink wrapped the remaining blue wire from the beaver wire. Then I shrink wrapped the whole thing, coiled it all up and zip tied it to the frame right where the original 3 prong accessory plug was taped. 

Everything is working well and seems bomber. I am working on a solution for the release button on the back of the zumo cradle. I did a very bumpy, whooped out ride and it never moved but still I'm a little nervous about it. So i'm trying to find something that isnt as elaborate as the zumo lock and is simpler or easier to install. Right now I've found a metal zip tie that was bent to allow it to go on and off with a little wiggle. I'll keep looking for a more robust DIY approach too.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, nelsonccc said:

tenere-aux-light-leads_1.jpg

s10-splitter.jpg

These are the two items I ordered from Beaver that were PERFECT for the zumo xt to be wired to the right side accessory 3 pin port. The splitter was $25 and the auxillary lead wire was $15. 

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Tenere_700/4CS/4cs.html

The two items I ordered are down the page from the 4cs fuse block.

I'm very inexperienced with elextrical issue but even I was able to figure it out so should be easy for everyone else.

I also spent a few minutes removing the side stand safety switch since I'd smashed that all to hell on the last ride. Easy to just splice the two wires together but the two bolts holding that thing in were a mother to break loose.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:26 PM, nelsonccc said:

These are the two items I ordered from Beaver that were PERFECT for the zumo xt to be wired to the right side accessory 3 pin port. The splitter was $25 and the auxillary lead wire was $15. 

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Tenere_700/4CS/4cs.html

The two items I ordered are down the page from the 4cs fuse block.

I'm very inexperienced with elextrical issue but even I was able to figure it out so should be easy for everyone else.

I also spent a few minutes removing the side stand safety switch since I'd smashed that all to hell on the last ride. Easy to just splice the two wires together but the two bolts holding that thing in were a mother to break loose.

This is great. I see these have three wires: black, yellow, blue. How do you connect the to the Zumo XT wires which are red and black?

Also, do you need a crimping tool or something?

14 hours ago, Johnny Fuel said:

This is great. I see these have three wires: black, yellow, blue. How do you connect the to the Zumo XT wires which are red and black?

Also, do you need a crimping tool or something?

From my post above;

"I trimmed the beaver 3 prong piece and spliced it with the garmin harness, black to black and red to yellow. I just shrink wrapped the remaining blue wire from the beaver wire"

6 minutes ago, nelsonccc said:

From my post above;

"I trimmed the beaver 3 prong piece and spliced it with the garmin harness, black to black and red to yellow. I just shrink wrapped the remaining blue wire from the beaver wire"

Gotcha. So the blue wire remained unused?

11 minutes ago, Johnny Fuel said:

Gotcha. So the blue wire remained unused?

Yep, I just heat shrinked it, doubled it over, and wrapped it up with everything else. But you could do red to to yellow or blue but whatever one you don't use just sits there.

• 5 weeks later...

@orbsurfer, your set up here is the same I’m working on. Question, does your XT touch or hit the main display at all? 

No, the Garmin Zumo XT mounted on the Rally Raid bracket (with zero spacers used) does not touch the speedometer/RPM display.

IMG_1443.thumb.JPG.c8396d66fa685879f9f834c5e12dca9f.JPG

Edited by orbsurfer
adding image
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2021 at 8:48 PM, AllOfTheData said:

I got my 2 pin connectors from cycle terminal. He doesn't list them on the site but he has them. 

How did you order this from cycle terminal? Just call them up? Did you by chance take a photo?

With a GPS like the Zumo XT mounted on the crossbar, is anti-bobble needed? The bar seem pretty sturdy, the dashboard on the other hand 😂

2 hours ago, JayD said:

With a GPS like the Zumo XT mounted on the crossbar, is anti-bobble needed? The bar seem pretty sturdy, the dashboard on the other hand 😂

I don’t have anti-wobble and it works just fine with the stock setup. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 3:22 PM, nelsonccc said:

So I have an update. I had initially wired it directly to the battery and that seemed fine but since I had already ordered the beaver splitter and wire from my first post I decided to get back in there and re do it so it was on auxiliary power.

The splitter of course was plug and play. I trimmed the beaver 3 prong piece and spliced it with the garmin harness, black to black and red to yellow. I just shrink wrapped the remaining blue wire from the beaver wire. Then I shrink wrapped the whole thing, coiled it all up and zip tied it to the frame right where the original 3 prong accessory plug was taped. 

Everything is working well and seems bomber. I am working on a solution for the release button on the back of the zumo cradle. I did a very bumpy, whooped out ride and it never moved but still I'm a little nervous about it. So i'm trying to find something that isnt as elaborate as the zumo lock and is simpler or easier to install. Right now I've found a metal zip tie that was bent to allow it to go on and off with a little wiggle. I'll keep looking for a more robust DIY approach too.

I am at the install point with the same EB lead and the splitter. I think you answered my question... but to be sure... there is no need for the blue wire on the lead. Just seal that up. Then black to black and red to yellow, yes? I have been stumbling over the two Garmin wires (red-black) connecting to the three EB wires (black-yellow-blue) for a while.

Being an electrical dumbass, I am grateful for this thread!

FWIW - I have the Zumo XT horizontal on the crossbar with the Touratech locking mount. Any solutions out there to the power lead running across the display or only being able to access the Touratech release lever from the windshield side of the tower?

Edited by Amani
additional product info and questions

Just finished my Zumo XT wiring using the EB splitter and pigtail. Interesting find was when I took power from the right side, the Zumo did not power up. I checked and rechecked the connections and still nothing. When I put the splitter on the left side it powered right up. I guess that is where it will stay. Does the right side not supply adequate power or amperage for the Zumo? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Electricity and I don't get along that well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, nelsonccc said:

s10-splitter.jpg

Hi, I didn’t find this splitter in The UK then I decide to do my own splitter. Anyone knows cable size/type on this splitter?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 9:42 PM, Chagatay said:

Hi, I didn’t find this splitter in The UK then I decide to do my own splitter. Anyone knows cable size/type on this splitter?

Thanks

Hi guys, I did my own splitter. Bit longer than the Eastern Beaver one. 

3F0A60E6-0F9A-444B-BE37-74887B509F7E.jpeg

A47A9D2B-5E31-4572-B019-0DC08133C7A8.jpeg

8A60AC8C-0CC9-43E8-888D-BBBAC430C42A.jpeg

Edited by Chagatay
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chagatay said:

Hi guys, I did my own splitter. Bit longer than the Eastern Beaver one. 

3F0A60E6-0F9A-444B-BE37-74887B509F7E.jpeg

A47A9D2B-5E31-4572-B019-0DC08133C7A8.jpeg

8A60AC8C-0CC9-43E8-888D-BBBAC430C42A.jpeg

Good job.  No better way to learn than doing it yourself.  If you apply a small amount of silicon to where the wires enter the connectors, it will be water resistant. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 7:32 PM, Landshark said:

Good job.  No better way to learn than doing it yourself.  If you apply a small amount of silicon to where the wires enter the connectors, it will be water resistant. 

Thank you for your advise 👍 I used adhesive lined heat shrink tube for WR. I will implement your suggestion.

It must be bit shorter than tis size btw. 

• Like 1