Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Smartphone or GPS Nav Mount

prwatts

On 3/15/2020 at 10:44 AM, Ktmmitch said:

We have developed a universal mount to fit on the 12mm crossbar, it has M4 and M6 threads to suit RAM mount, Garmin mount etc

Billet GPS Mount 12mm Crossbar-RRP 643

This looks very well made and the price is right as well... When I change to a bigger sat nav I'll get one for sure... At the moment my Garmin 64s wouldn't mount on that. 

Aleks 

• Moderators

Here’s a unit for the folks looking to mount their existing GPS and cradle up on the crossbar. Shout out to those who are custom fabricating their mounts here. You guys are badasses ha.

?format=1500w

12mm or 1/2 " cross bar AMPS pattern BMW GS, Africa Twin Yamaha Tenere and more

I ended up with the quadlock up on the handlebars. As Creamflourish said, it takes up no space at all when not in use. 

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Look at "SP-Connect". They have a mirror mount witch fits very well on the square bar. 

For the phone you can use a phone case (hard or soft cover) or an universal interface sticker.

Hi Kevin

I took my power off the spare connector under the right hand panel. The three pin connector is for fog lights or the two pin connector is the aux power, either will do. I had some spare pins that went into the three pin socket, so no cutting wires. 

Garmin power supply tucked away under the side panel OK. 

I will try and attach a photo for you. 

Regards

Nige 

• Like 1

Word to the wise, dont connect your phone to the cross bar unless you install @Camel ADV 's Anti bobble head kit first, or at least secure that area with another method. It all shakes all to hell even on pavement. Smartphones have been documented online breaking from extreme vibration even from handlebars of different bikes, and the way the head shakes on our T7's , it will ruin yer phone for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kevin

I took my power off the spare connector under the right hand panel. The three pin connector is for fog lights or the two pin connector is the aux power, either will do. I had some spare pins that went into the three pin socket, so no cutting wires. 

Garmin power supply tucked away under the side panel OK. 

I will try and attach a photo for you. 

Regards

Nige 

IMG_20200327_165017_compress75.jpg

• Like 2

I just remembered that I used the sw motech mount for my garmin and was really bad. Everything else I got from them fitted perfectly so I was surprised but I had to cut a hole in it for the charger cable to go through. I thought this was odd as it was supposed to be for the garmin zumo and I had to modify it to make one fit

• Like 1

Another thought along the same lines... I have been wondering if we have got to the stage where the apps on the phone are better than the garmin. 

I saw that the AJP PR7 just comes with a samsung tablet instead of a dash and I thought that was a good idea. Then I noticed that the app that has been developed for that (drive mode dashboard) can be downloaded from the play store. 

I have only downloaded it today but I think it isn't be time to take the garmin off and put an p connect wireless charging mount on for the phone or even leave an old phone there permanently. If I could find a way to lock it place I would certainly do that...

• Like 1

I just found my ancient Garmin 60CX, and I think I can use this handlebar mount with some DIY, direct to the crossbar. Since it's just a clamp, I think I can shim it with a hard or soft spacer of some homemade nature, lol. 

Garmin 60 series handlebar mount

If you go to a good plumbing suppliers they will have clips like this. They start at 12mm so the rubber from that will work nicely. 

SmartSelect_20200621-202551_Google.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 7:38 PM, prwatts said:

I bought the SP Connect.  Many thanks  😄

Hello prwatts

what sp connect model for T7 cross bar ?

On 6/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, Sigi said:

Look at "SP-Connect". They have a mirror mount witch fits very well on the square bar. 

For the phone you can use a phone case (hard or soft cover) or an universal interface sticker.

What Sp-connect model for T7 cross bar ? Sp-connect mirror or Sp-connect mount pro ?

Hello! I am using the "Mirror Mount Pro" with the universal phone case.

The Mirror Mount Pro is easy to install an fits perfect, because the endposition is adjustable.

The Phone case is waterressistant. The only problem is the light reflection of the field of view.

Regards Sigi

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For those of you using the top bar mount for you phone/ GPS AND use you bike off-road, how well does this work regarding screen vibration? How about the clamp rotating downwards on a rough road/trail?

I like the “view” of a GPS on the bar mount but it seem the stability of having it on the handlebars might be better? I’m very worried riding a rough trail will cause havoc on a device mounted on the stock GPS bar.   

Screen_Shot_2019-02-04_at_8.47.01_PM_fcf

Simply put, this is the best off-road phone mount you can buy. We designed it specifically for off-road motorcycle riders and racers who want to use their phones as...

No problems from a full season of use. 

• 8 months later...
On 3/29/2020 at 8:04 AM, Nige T said:

Hi to all, 

This is my first post on any forum, so sorry if its not quite right. 

In relation to the GPS mount. I found the ebay sells these 12mm guide rail supports at £2.50 a pair. Then I just made an aluminium plate to mount the Garmin zumo connection. 

Took about 2hours from start to finish. 

There are power points under each side panel that come from the accessories fuse. 

Pictures attached I hope. 

IMG_20200327_164953.jpg

I bought these mounts and used them to mount my Galaxy phone via a Perfect Squeeze phone mount. I had to elongate the holes with a dremel but it only took a few minutes. 

On 6/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, tenerecanada said:

Here’s a unit for the folks looking to mount their existing GPS and cradle up on the crossbar. Its way overpriced - to nail those who aren’t custom fabricating their mounts here. You guys are badasses ha.

?format=1500w

I ended up with the quadlock up on the handlebars. As Creamflourish said, it takes up no space at all when not in use. 

I bought the MotoPumps mount and per their instructions didn't overly tighten the clamping bolts. I would not hold without rotating. Tightening it enough to hold stripped the threads.

• Like 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, joenuclear said:

I bought the MotoPumps mount and per their instructions didn't overly tighten the clamping bolts. I would not hold without rotating. Tightening it enough to hold stripped the threads.

I made that post referencing it as overpriced, then went ahead and bought the Donnertech version 😬 lol. It is a nice piece of kit though, and combined with the headlight stabilizer it is unable to rotate. 

Our "Cockpit-Stabilizer" puts an end to the wobbling of the unstable cockpit strut of the Tenere 700. On bumpy roads, the Tenere 700's cockpit tends to vibrate a lot - especially if a...

"GPS bracket Slim Basic" including clamping screws for attachment to the mounting rod of the Tenere 700 (diameter 11.6 mm). Thanks to the clamping range of 11 to 12 mm, the...

78F33641-2D3B-49F9-BA27-51071B3C96C9.jpeg

49E37CFC-E863-4340-AD71-2D083014C1E0.jpeg

EDCDF9AA-742A-4AB6-B38B-6CAF3AA2D00E.png

• Like 4

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Moderators

@tenerecanada Very nice looking setup. It appears to solve the Garmin Montana mounting issue that I had using the Motopumps mount, that came in contact with the speedo.  Although adjustable,  it didn't hold the Montana high enough above the speedo making the viewing angle unacceptable for seated viewing.  The Donner CNC video was impressive,  leaving me wanting to buy the piece featured and I don't even know what it's for!  I just might put the setup your using on my Christmas list.....

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 6/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, Cruizin said:

Word to the wise, dont connect your phone to the cross bar unless you install @Camel ADV 's Anti bobble head kit first, or at least secure that area with another method. It all shakes all to hell even on pavement. Smartphones have been documented online breaking from extreme vibration even from handlebars of different bikes, and the way the head shakes on our T7's , it will ruin yer phone for sure. 

I’m going to second this.  The camera stabilization went out on my iPhone.  Now it just warbles, is that a word, and can’t focus anymore.  I didn’t even know they had stabilizers.  After looking into it, a lot of guys experienced the same.  I shouldn’t have mounted my phone to my dirt/dual sport/adv bike handlebars.

I quit mounting my phone to my bikes.

• 1 month later...

I have the Quad Lock with dampener and charging head mounted to the bar above the dash. It's a sweet set up.

I'm not convinced the dampener does much. When I touch the front of the phone as I'm riding along I can still feel some buzzing through my fingers. Less than the amount of vibration across the top bar but it's still significant.

I've decided instead of mounting my new iPhone 12 I'm going to take my iPhone 8 and use that as a dedicated GPS on the bike. I don't care if the camera goes on it since I won't be using it. I'll keep the iPhone 12 in my pocket.

• Like 2

Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the...

Apple’s take

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 4:58 AM, tenerecanada said:

Here’s a unit for the folks looking to mount their existing GPS and cradle up on the crossbar. Its way overpriced - to nail those who aren’t custom fabricating their mounts here. You guys are badasses ha.

?format=1500w

Hi, out here in Victoria BC.  Where did you get the Quadlock in Canada and do you mount a GPS or smartphone? Thanks,Ray

• Like 1