Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Can you pick up your bike?

Moto

If the bike falls in the wrong place and locks and gets stuck in the mud, there is no technique that works. The only way is brute force. And being lonely and tired after a whole day of riding, the forces are is limited.
The photos do not do justice to the real situation.

moto-caída-rescate-1.jpeg

moto-caída-rescate-2.jpeg

• Confused 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

12 minutes ago, Ol'crazy said:

If the bike falls in the wrong place and locks and gets stuck in the mud, there is no technique that works. The only way is brute force. And being lonely and tired after a whole day of riding, the forces are is limited.
The photos do not do justice to the real situation.

moto-caída-rescate-1.jpeg

moto-caída-rescate-2.jpeg

That looks downright painful.  Have to have a safety meeting next time before we attempt this section.  Where is this?  So I can avoid it when it rains...

• Haha 2

Ol’n Crazy,

You are posting pics so I guess you got it out or got a ride.

Saw the rocks you put under the front wheels. Couldn’t put the kick stand down and use that branch in the background for a lever? No?

Drag first the front , then the rear over to the ruts and anchor the bike in them to gain leverage.

Interesting problem.   Really hope you are not still there!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

Ol’n Crazy,

You are posting pics so I guess you got it out or got a ride.

Saw the rocks you put under the front wheels. Couldn’t put the kick stand down and use that branch in the background for a lever? No?

Drag first the front , then the rear over to the ruts and anchor the bike in them to gain leverage.

Interesting problem.   Really hope you are not still there!

I tried everything I could think of, including using a thick branch and my belt to pry it up, but eventually I had to call and ask for help, because it was getting dark and I was already really exhausted.

What bothered me the most, apart from having to ask for help, was that I fell in an area without much complication compared to others on the same ride.

barro-1.jpg

barro-2.jpg

barro-3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

Thats a difficult one. And more difficult if tired and on your own. Sometimes you just gotta sit there breath and work it out.

very tough one

22 minutes ago, Ol'crazy said:

I tried everything I could think of, including using a thick branch and my belt to pry it up, but eventually I had to call and ask for help, because it was getting dark and I was already really exhausted.

What bothered me the most, apart from having to ask for help, was that I fell in an area without much complication compared to others on the same ride.

barro-1.jpg

barro-2.jpg

barro-3.jpg

man your picture doesn't do justice...

friend & I got stuck in similar situation in a JEEP!...the hump and holes are just enough to cause high center of the under carriage.

hope you are well...and bravo

• Like 1

ouch,

As I have gotten older my stubbornness continues to escalate, usually to  my own detriment. Riding buds are good tho!

Jeff

Edited by gone2seed
speeling

I just found a Warn XT17 for $200 plus shipping. That will bring some peace of mind.

🙂

17 hours ago, jdk2man said:

I just found a Warn XT17 for $200 plus shipping. That will bring some peace of mind.

🙂

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the first thing I did the day after my "adventure" was to buy the EastBound MotoWinch (https://eastbound.shop/product-info/lifting-a-motorcycle-motowinch-info/ ).

It has the advantage over a normal winch that you don't need a tree or stone to anchor it. You simply rest it on the ground and hold it to the handlebar and lift the bike effortlessly.

It also weighs less and does not need electricity.

The latter is important because an electric winch must work with the engine running so as not to drain the battery, and with the motorcycle lying down it is not possible (nor should it) start the engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

So, ok, I can lift my bike now. Did it twice in my driveway just be sure the first wasn't a fluke. My thanks for all the good tips posted by y'all in this thread!

That said, I just could not figure out how to make the perky Harley-girl technique work, as inspiring as her demonstration was. The T7 just lies so FLAT, as noted here in this thread. Never could get good leverage facing away from the bike and lifting backwards. I could see that working better if I had metal side cases or something (like 1200GS cylinder heads) to help prop the bike up a bit. 

Good tip on front brake lock. I had a velcro strap in my junk drawer that's perfect. Next, I used a tie-down strap looped around my down-side handle bar to give me better dead-lift posture. Then I just did a deadlift facing towards the bike picking up the lower handle bar until I could get my thigh against the bike and change my hands to the handle bar itself. 

I shall now carry these two extra straps in my kit. I can easily see me buying a MotoWinch though, if I end up dumping this thing more than expected... Also, dead-lift training advice during riding season is spot-on. I will add that in, next to my left-hand grip strengthening exercises for two-finger clutch-up wheelies (which I still can't do - but at least I can now lift my bike).

I guess whatever works, right? My new New Year's Resolution: Try even harder not to crash 😉.

• Like 3

Glad your ok. GUYS, let me know what you think of my "extractor" Rig.  I also plan on getting the moto winch and keeping it in the tank bag easily accessible.

Edited by ADVUSA

18 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

Glad your ok. GUYS, let me know what you think of my "extractor" Rig.  I also pan on getting the moto winch and keeping it in the tank bag easily accessible.

Thank you 🙂.

I don't really understand how that device works. I guess you need something else to be able to pull the bike ...

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

While various winces, extractors and jacks are out there and may be valuable to solo riders doing difficult rides in tough terrain, I am not one of those guys. If I end up in a spot like Ol' Crazy's pictures, I have made some serious judgement mistakes. A man has got to know his limitations! 😆 But I do ride by myself a lot! 

One simple thing I did on my Super Tenere and have continued with the T7 is to carry a short section 2" wide nylon strap along. On the ST, without the Jesse bags, the luggage frame provided a point to grab onto to lift. However, with the bags attached, that grab point went away. The strap allowed me to wrap it around a point too low for me to grab by hand but let me adjust the length to get my legs into the lift. 

Only used it once but was sure glad I had it with me. With the T7, the narrower width of the bike does seem like it will lay flatter the the wide ST with Altrider crash bars. The straps might come in handy again! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

That's what the "earth anchor" is for or strap around a tree. The winch does the rest.

Sorry, I was confused by the StuckMate mentioned after your post about the non electric winch.

Your idea is not bad ... as long as your leg doesn't get caught under the bike. I always think the worst :-).

Furthermore, the MotoWinch, in its heaviest version, still weighs half as much as your winch with the "earth anchor".

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

11 hours ago, wncrider said:

While various winces, extractors and jacks are out there and may be valuable to solo riders doing difficult rides in tough terrain, I am not one of those guys. If I end up in a spot like Ol' Crazy's pictures, I have made some serious judgement mistakes. A man has got to know his limitations! 😆 But I do ride by myself a lot! 

One simple thing I did on my Super Tenere and have continued with the T7 is to carry a short section 2" wide nylon strap along. On the ST, without the Jesse bags, the luggage frame provided a point to grab onto to lift. However, with the bags attached, that grab point went away. The strap allowed me to wrap it around a point too low for me to grab by hand but let me adjust the length to get my legs into the lift. 

Only used it once but was sure glad I had it with me. With the T7, the narrower width of the bike does seem like it will lay flatter the the wide ST with Altrider crash bars. The straps might come in handy again! 

The truth is that I arrived at that quagmire by mistake, believing that I was going by another way. And the worst thing was when I managed to cross it and I realized that there was no way out and I had to cross it again in the opposite direction.

Two "adventures" for the price of one :-).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

1 hour ago, Ol'crazy said:

Sorry, I was confused by the StuckMate mentioned after your post about the non electric winch.

Your idea is not bad ... as long as your leg doesn't get caught under the bike. I always think the worst :-).

Furthermore, the MotoWinch, in its heaviest version, still weighs half as much as your winch with the "earth anchor".

I thought about being pinned. The extractor is primarily for getting out of targeted "I'm stuck" situations.

The Motowinch is primarly for picking up heavy bikes - which with all the add-ons my bike is 500 and over.

I also thought about having the MotoWinch in the Tank bag - 'just in case I was pinned'

It's good you can envision potential situations, hopefully they don't happen but it doesn't hurt to prepare.

EDIT:  I bet you could if pinned assemble and jack up the bike with the Motowinch in the tank bag if the situation arose !

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ol'crazy said:

The truth is that I arrived at that quagmire by mistake, believing that I was going by another way. And the worst thing was when I managed to cross it and I realized that there was no way out and I had to cross it again in the opposite direction.

Two "adventures" for the price of one :-).

I have had the "two adventures for the price of one" experience a few time myself! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

I thought about being pinned. The extractor is primarily for getting out of targeted "I'm stuck" situations.

The Motowinch is primarly for picking up heavy bikes - which with all the add-ons my bike is 500 and over.

I also thought about having the MotoWinch in the Tank bag - 'just in case I was pinned'

It's good you can envision potential situations, hopefully they don't happen but it doesn't hurt to prepare.

EDIT:  I bet you could if pinned assemble and jack up the bike with the Motowinch in the tank bag if the situation arose !

• Moderators

Regarding getting pinned under the bike, one thing that has saved my bacon was a hand spade within reach. Motocamping off my Beta with a heavy loaded Mosko R40 pack, I dumped it in deep sand, getting pinned under the left side. My riding buddies were ahead about a mile and didn't notice I wasn't behind them in the choking dust. It was about 100*F and although my stout boots kept me from foot injuries,  I was stuck under the 340+ lb. Beta. After trying to hand dig my way out, I was able to reach my hand spade ( strapped to the outside of my R40) which got me dug out in short order. I got my bike upright just as my riding buddies showed up. Great timing! 😉

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

I had a similar experience a few months ago. In my case it was not far from civilization, but I had a hard time.

Luckily I was wearing some old motorcycle boots that were too small for me and not fastened, and I was able to get my foot off leaving the boot under the bike.

Had I had the MotoWinch it probably would have been a less unpleasant experience.

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

Mine slipped in mud and I couldn't get good footing to pick it up. Did it the way you lift with your legs but my feet kept sliding away then the tires would slide the other way. Had to wait for help. Was embarrassing. 

IMG_20200712_222840_225.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

having just had an off ,on the road, i can tell you it aint the lightest bike to lift .especially after being thrown down the road a few yards. it could be worse. could be a gs .....but never will be.

2 hours ago, Xtina said:

Mine slipped in mud and I couldn't get good footing to pick it up. Did it the way you lift with your legs but my feet kept sliding away then the tires would slide the other way. Had to wait for help. Was embarrassing. 

I could totally see that happening to me! When I lifted mine in my driveway, it was near my max effort to do so. If I was really tired, or injured, or my feet were slipping, or my bike was sliding, I can easily imagine just not being able to do it. Those may be times when a MotoWinch (or riding buddies) will save the day.

• Like 3