Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Can you pick up your bike?

Moto

15 hours ago, Xtina said:

Mine slipped in mud and I couldn't get good footing to pick it up. Did it the way you lift with your legs but my feet kept sliding away then the tires would slide the other way. Had to wait for help. Was embarrassing. 

If the bike stays leaning on the gutter it is the worst possible scenario because there is no legroom as you push your butt into the seat.

If there is also mud and one is tired, there may be no choice but to wait for help ... or use a MotoWinch or equivalent.

On the other hand, if you get in the mud with OEM Pirelli you have a good chance of running into trouble 😅.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

12 minutes ago, Ol'crazy said:

If the bike stays leaning on the gutter it is the worst possible scenario because there is no legroom as you push your butt into the seat.

If there is also mud and one is tired, there may be no choice but to wait for help ... or use a MotoWinch or equivalent.

On the other hand, if you get in the mud with OEM Pirelli you have a good chance of running into trouble 😅.

Some guy on ADVrider went for a winter ride and dumped it on a dirt road and there was a few slippery spots and he implied he had a hard time standing the bike up because he didn't have sure footing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the FWIW category, I made my own moto winch (ish). It works, though. It cost me less than $20, because I had a ratchet tiedown strap already. They're about $17, so not a big expense either. The ratchet was plenty strong to lift the T7, which I wondered about before I started.

If interested, here are the materials I used:

3/4-in conduit cut into three 18 inch sections

4 conduit unions

7 feet of seatbelt-style 2 inch wide webbing (had to sew a loop on one end myself)

S-hook

Climbing sling

Tiedown ratchet

Front brake lever squeezer (velcro strap)

(The whole thing weighs 6 pounds - mostly the ratchet)

With the front brake lever squeezed, I put the climbing sling around my handle bar grip and attached the S-hook to the sling and the 2-inch webbing. The ratchet attached to the top of the conduit pole. Then I ratcheted the bike up to about 60-70 degrees, after which it was easy to straighten the rest of the way.

For how much I might use a moto winch (never?), I didn't want to spend $$ on it. That said, if I'm riding  by myself, crash, and I'm either hurt/tired/compromised in any way where I don't have my full strength available, there's a good chance I would not be able to pick up my bike (like others here have experienced). In which case, having this along might save the day and prevent a rescue. It doesn't take up much space, so it'll be there with my flat stuff in case I need any of it. And when you do, you really do!

20210222_150804.jpg

20210222_180309.jpg

• Like 1

Good work @Moto. It looks practically identical to the MotoWinch for a fraction of the price.

As a suggestion, I would add an enlarged base to prevent it from digging into dirt or mud.

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, 29er. Good going! Looks like a scenic area to explore.