Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lithium Ion Battery

prwatts

My stock battery has fully discharged twice.  There are no parasitic draws.  New battery time?  AGM or lithium ion?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 10:45 AM, PackinDirt said:

My stock battery has fully discharged twice.  There are no parasitic draws.  New battery time?  AGM or lithium ion?

It really doesn’t matter for 95% of owners. Both start the bike. Personally I prefer the Antigravity ReStart for its great Battery Management System (BMS) and incorporated Jump Start.. a nice thing for bikes without a kick start. I’ve had one in my WRR for a few years now which is stored in a detached, unheated garage. It’s sat for a few months over a couple winters now and fired right up. A buddy had an injury a couple years ago, put his bike in storage and moved onto jeeps. A year later he hooked the ReStart up and the bike fired up. He road it around the block a few times and parked it again. This year he did the same and it fired right up. I bought the bike from him a few days later. I now have 4 of these ReStart batteries and zero issues. The incorporated Juno Start requires nothing more then pressing a green restart button on the top of the battery to activate. Turn the key, flip the shutoff switch and hit the Start button on the bike. The BMS btw self balances the better cells which is one of the few lithium batteries currently able to. No charger or maintainer is required unless you basically try to kill it. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 9:42 PM, Phaedrus said:

The whole trend towards Lithium battery is a waste of money to save a few kilos while throwing out a perfect good battery (replacing the OEM). If and when the battery needs replacing is a different story.

My street bike seems to handle better when the tank is nearer to empty, but we're talking like 10kg less there.  Putting an extra 3 or 4 PSI in the tires achieves the same result, easier to turn into corners.  Or I can change my body position on the bike, lower down achieves the same result, probably because of the angle between my forearms and the bars is greatly reduced and I simply have more leverage, more power to push.  Then again if I go on a diet and lose 5 kg, and or work out and build muscle...

I think LiPo batteries are more like *Bling* than a practical alternative, the risks inherent in using them, especially in a biff bang bash offroad application, outweigh the benefits in my mind.

The trouble is they can explode, when in use, when charging.  It doesn't happen very often, it's very rare in fact, but when it does happen the vehicle is a writeoff, the house is guttered.

Sorry to be a Doomer on this, but there you have it, roll the dice.

london-bans-all-e-scooters-on-public-tra

London's public transport authority announced the complete ban of privately owned e-scooters and e-unicycles last week. The decision was made after a battery of a privately-owned e-scooter exploded in a subway, which...

41 minutes ago, winddown said:

My street bike seems to handle better when the tank is nearer to empty, but we're talking like 10kg less there.  Putting an extra 3 or 4 PSI in the tires achieves the same result, easier to turn into corners.  Or I can change my body position on the bike, lower down achieves the same result, probably because of the angle between my forearms and the bars is greatly reduced and I simply have more leverage, more power to push.  Then again if I go on a diet and lose 5 kg, and or work out and build muscle...

I think LiPo batteries are more like *Bling* than a practical alternative, the risks inherent in using them, especially in a biff bang bash offroad application, outweigh the benefits in my mind.

The trouble is they can explode, when in use, when charging.  It doesn't happen very often, it's very rare in fact, but when it does happen the vehicle is a writeoff, the house is guttered.

Sorry to be a Doomer on this, but there you have it, roll the dice.

london-bans-all-e-scooters-on-public-tra

London's public transport authority announced the complete ban of privately owned e-scooters and e-unicycles last week. The decision was made after a battery of a privately-owned e-scooter exploded in a subway, which...

I'm afraid you're confused about 2 types of battery's, In case of lithium battery's there are Li-ion and LiFePo4. The Li-ion is indeed an unstable chemical composure which explode and burn when damaged.
The LiFePo4 is stable and you can hammer a nail in it, other plus is the fact that this type is insensitive for deep discharge in case you drain it for whatever reason. Downside it's a bit more expensive.
Problem is that the cheaper LiFePo4 battery's are sold with the label "Li-ion with LiFePo4 technology" due to a patent on the name.
Whenever my battery dies i will replace it with a LiFePo4 but not before it dies because i don't like wasting things.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I'm afraid you're confused about 2 types of battery's

I'm familiar with the difference, I use iron phosphates with some amateur radio gear, I just didn't realize they were using them for these bike batteries.   We like them because the nominal voltage of a pack (What it drops to under load) is 13.8, that's the standard we run radio gear on.  And you are quite right, they are safer, much safer.  That being the case I'd probably be a convert myself.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I want to recommend a lithium battery for the European Tenere 700 owners. In Europe I didn't managed to get a Anti-Gravity battery delivered, so I looked for alternatives.

After doing some research I decided to purchase a lithium battery from Skyrich - I am already using their lithium batteries on the offroad bikes, without any issues.

For the Tenere 700, Skyrich offers the YTZ10S equivalent model HJP14B-FP. Current price is 118 EUR, but you need to add 20 EUR for fast shipping.

skyrich-battery-hjp14b-fp-lithium.jpg

Product link (no affiliation): 

skyrich-battery-hjp14b-fp-lithium.jpg

With Overcharging protection BMS and balancer 2 Year Warranty YB14-A2 YT12B-BS YTX14AH-BS YB10A-A2 YB14A-A 12N12A-4A1 YB14A-A1 YB12A-B YB12C-A YT14B-BS YT14-B2 YB12B-B2 YTZ10S YB10A-A

Mounted the battery on the bike, works as expected. Happy with the purchase.

I will come back with a long term review after some time...

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 Rally Edition / 2018 Husqvarna TE 250i / 2008 KTM EXC-450 R

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not that it should be relevant on THIS forum for this bike, but I want to point out that Lithium batteries are VERY susceptible to heat damage. So if you have a bike with well known battery-heating problems (looking at you FJR1300), do NOT put a lithium in it. Heat-related death of a lead acid battery is usually just failure to hold a charge and/or mild leaking. Heat-related death of a lithium battery, especially LiFePO4, often involves flames. #TheMoreYouKnow 
We, in car audio, often learn the hard lessons of mobile electrical systems so others won't have to. LOL

• Like 2

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, PNGL said:

especially LiFePO4

Are you sure you don't mean the Li-ion? LiFePo4 is normally a stabile chemical compound unlike Li-ion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Are you sure you don't mean the Li-ion? LiFePo4 is normally a stabile chemical compound unlike Li-ion.

LiFePO4 is very stable, except for extreme heat. The packs will swell and eventually rupture. Then there is toxic smoke, usually quickly followed by fire. That's the reason that we (car audio guys) can't put our lithium batteries under the hood. Typically we'll just make a buss bar, ultra capacitor bank, or fake battery box to connect things to under the hood. I've personally seen a few under-hood lithiums go up in smoke and one go up in flames. Once they start, it's extremely difficult to put them out until the chemical reaction that's taking place has finished. Basically, they pretty much have to burn themselves out.

• Like 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

• 11 months later...

I have a perfectly good Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 sitting around. Dimentally it will fit. I can't find any info on which Shorai

fits the T7. Any reason I shouldn't put it in? This battery fits a RC51 so should have plenty of umph.