Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS ring for Speedo Correction!

Aleksandar13

Hi all, 

After much debate and testing with the help of @Disco and @AndyJ ( thank you both for the testing you have done)

We have now proven that on stock 21/18 combo a new Abs ring front and back will correct the speedo to read accurately and correct the discrepancy that you get with the stock one. Thread attached. 

Picture attached for quick reference of the speedo reading done by @AndyJ

Disclaimer :

Just to make some things clear I am not responsible for installation faults that might occur and faults of the ABS units, or dealer warranty. 

You do this at your own risk and if the Shet hits the fan I am unable to help with anything but replacing the unit if it is faulty from cutting. I inspect these myself prior to shipping and take pictures. 

Check the part on arrival and if there is any visible damage please take pictures and report back and I will replace if this was faulty from cutting. This is a private sale and intend to keep it this way. 

Part can be supplied in Mill or painted finish 2.0mm Mild steel thick with 42 slotted holes. 

Paint is RAL 9004 matt. 

To correct the speedo you will need both front and back rings with the same number of holes, this just corrects the speedo and keeps all the functions working as stock. 

ABS works and you can turn it off as normal. If you order one the ABS light will stay one as there is to much of a difference between the front and back and this will not work. 

I will put prices down as individual rings (keep in mind you need two per bike to make it work) 

Shipping cost : dependent on country 

(from UK to Australia is £11 pounds roughly in 5 to 7 working days, can be cheaper but takes longer) 

I will quote shipping prices for people once there is interest. 

Price painted :

£25 each for the ring. 

For any questions please don't hesitate to contact me here on through private message. 

Aleks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

if the stock speedo is that off the mark Yamaha should be paying YOU to put the ABS rings right. sheesh.

Edited by NotGoodAtUsrnms
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

For legal reasons they are covering themselves... Unfortunately we live in a world where lawyers and manufacturing is part of the game... 👍 

Yamaha is absolutely at the highest level of the tolerance (e.g. for Germany). Here we have a maximum tolerance of 10% plus 4 km/h. It means114 km/h at real 100 km/h would be ok. But measuring more than shown is forbidden.

So would it be possible to get rings with 43 wholes?

6 hours ago, bikeever said:

Yamaha is absolutely at the highest level of the tolerance (e.g. for Germany). Here we have a maximum tolerance of 10% plus 4 km/h. It means114 km/h at real 100 km/h would be ok. But measuring more than shown is forbidden.

So would it be possible to get rings with 43 wholes?

It can be possible but I at the moment I only stock these as they have been tested and proven. A one off 43 hole abs ring will not be better and it would cost a fair bit.

Aleks

26 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

It can be possible but I at the moment I only stock these as they have been tested and proven. A one off 43 hole abs ring will not be better and it would cost a fair bit.

Aleks

This is what I was thinking about. On the other hand the entire modification is probably not street legal. So maybe no concern about that🙂

9C34954F-9D94-4320-9083-1165FB053D0A.thumb.jpeg.c208365b35ebca3002fe7ee5891f42c9.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bikeever said:

This is what I was thinking about. On the other hand the entire modification is probably not street legal. So maybe no concern about that🙂

9C34954F-9D94-4320-9083-1165FB053D0A.thumb.jpeg.c208365b35ebca3002fe7ee5891f42c9.jpeg

I would like to think that the police will not sit on the side of the road and stop you to count the number of slots on each wheel ... but I used to live in Germany and they do love their jobs over there so you never know 🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Has anybody tried just covering two or three of the holes on the stock ring or would that not work ?

It will not work as the spacing is far to much and the ECU will record it as an error 😄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shipping should be back to normal now... UK delivery 48h, Europe in 4 to 5 days...👍 

• 1 month later...

Just had my first reject from Austria customs... I had to resend the abs rings again... Hopefully this time the customs office will be busy with other more important duties then two pieces of powder coated rings... 😁😂 

Aleks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 1:47 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

Just had my first reject from Austria customs... I had to resend the abs rings again... Hopefully this time the customs office will be busy with other more important duties then two pieces of powder coated rings... 😁😂 

Aleks 

Why did they reject the parcel? 
Try to send as "art" next time🤪

• Like 1

Just now, bikeever said:

Why did they reject the parcel? 
Try to send as "art" next time🤪

I don't know why, just received it back... I reckon it was a boring day and they couldn't cope with the fact that I have valued the items at £15 so that the receiver doesn't pay duty. 

Aleks 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 1:47 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

Aleks 

You could also send as a "gift". Gifts are free up to 45 €.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bikeever said:

You could also send as a "gift". Gifts are free up to 45 €.

That's what I've done, first reject in over 50 shipped parcels. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

I wonder if the newer bikes aren’t off by as much. Checked with two different GPS and a couple roadside radar signs and mines about 5% off. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 2017 FZ7 that's within 1 mph error at speed and my 2021 T7 is only off by maybe 2 mph at speed according to 

my Garmin gps. Now I understand why my speedo didn't change when I changed my counter sprocket on the T7.   

• Like 2

Thanks for doing this Aleksandar, the speedo error really annoys me. Just have two questions if you don't mind:

How difficult are these to install? Never changed an ABS ring before...

Does this affect the odometer at all? Will it be off once installed?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NickQc said:

Thanks for doing this Aleksandar, the speedo error really annoys me. Just have two questions if you don't mind:

How difficult are these to install? Never changed an ABS ring before...

Does this affect the odometer at all? Will it be off once installed?

The rings are held in place by 4 or 5 small screws inside the braking disc... Wheel needs removing then the screws, take the disc out and replace with new one. 

Yes the odometer will be affected as well. 

Aleks 

When you say the odometer will be affected you mean corrected right? As of right now stock the odometer will be racking up 10% more then it should yes?